ZWave Broken After Adding Zooz ZSE40

Well I removed the 40's from my order since I didn't want to take a chance, and I could hear the "I told ya so" going off in my mind.
Since Zooz is supposed to come out with a new one, I will wait for that.

I do like Zooz products and Agnes on this forum seems very responsive which means alot.

Now I just need to figure out why my Aeotec 4 button touchpads are giving me 2 blue flashes then one red flash sometimes, but that is for another thread. (I am beginning to dislike Aeotec!)

1 Like

That’s quite a difference! I’m curious as to how you are able to confirm the “correct” humidity level?

I have a lot of sensors that report humidity and they do tend to have a difference from one sensor to the next…

I have been making drivers for the switches that Zooz endorses on their site. I dont have any of the sensors but if they can be made to work correctly I would actually be interested in some for my home. Curious what kind of things are missing from the built in drivers you would like to see?

Also, has anyone tried adjusting some of the parameters on the device to dial back its chattiness? Or does anyone have logs of what messages it is spamming out? It is possibly sending repeat commands if the driver being used is not responding to supervision requests properly which can be fixed by a custom driver.

Here are all the settings available. Maybe try settings #5 (motion reporting) to 60, the default is 15 seconds.
https://www.getzooz.com/downloads/zooz-z-wave-plus-4-in-1-sensor-zse40-ver2-manual.pdf

I compared the Zooz 11s to my Zooz 40’s, Ecobbe thermostat and Inovelli multi sensor. All the other sensors were within 1% of each other, the 11s were high.

If the new 11s had the same driver features as the 40s I could have probably made them work. No humidity offset was the big one the 11s were missing. The real solution in mind is for an updated driver that allows the old 40s to work with the 700 silicone labs chipset in the C7 assuming that is even possible.

If it works fine on the C5, in theory it should also work fine on the C7 if paired with the same security.

I would be really interested to see what they are sending out that is causing so much trouble. @Sebastien do you happen to have any of the info you collected?

Has anyone tried the ZSE11 driver on a 40 or visa-versa to see if that has any effect? They should be pretty similar except for maybe some of the parameter stuff.

It should not be hard to add an offset to the humidity in the driver, so a custom driver could probably fix that problem for you.

I will have to see if I can get a ZSE40 and/or ZSE11 and play around with them a little.

It actually doesn't "work fine" it somewhat works on the C-5, they are notorious for being overly chatty spamming the logs even on the C-5. Even after Mike added the options to suppress some of the logs in the driver,(which did help some) I still did not like how they behaved compared to other devices. I eventually replaced these with much better devices.

It causes more problems on the C-7 because the device when including has no way to pair the device without security on the 700 series chipset and defaults to S0, without using an external zwave stick and software, therefore it sends 3x the amount of traffic being paired S0 and the device is already by firmware design overly chatty so it brings your hub to a crawl from the data backlog. The C-5's were defaulted to ONLY locks and garage doors were paired with security, so it was less noticeable to the effects of these (although I still did)

1 Like

Ok that makes more sense then. I believe at least one person stated they tried adjusting the parameters to reduce the reporting but it was still causing issues. If anyone has any info or logs on what messages it is spamming out I would be curious. According to the docs the temp/humidity and lux should only go out once every 3 minutes at the most. The Motion by default is at most every 15 seconds but can be dialed back to 4 minutes+. Looks like the ZSE11 defaults to 30 seconds for motion and 4 hours for the other reports so possibly that has helped. I don't think you can adjust the reporting frequency on the t/h/l for the 40 but 3 minutes seems like it should be fine anyway.

As a side note, I have seen other Zooz devices sending the same reports twice basically at once, one with a supervision request and the other without. So if these have this issue it could be compounding the problem since it already sends out a lot more reports than a light switch.

Here is a post from me from a few years ago when I used these devices, there is another log post a few posts down in this thread as well.

Thanks that's a great thread for reference.

On another note, looking at the info ZSE40 and ZSE11 it almost seems like the 11 could just replace the 40. Still would be nice to get the 40 working correctly for everyone who has them already.

I will see if I can get some more info from Zooz and see if it would be worth taking it any further. I am always up for a good challenge.

I just eliminated the hassle by replacing them with Iris V3 motion sensors which were half the cost of zooz 4-1's, had all the same functionality as the 4-1's (minus the lux which is useless anyway with them using a 1-10 scale) and zero hub performance issues.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I didn’t keep the information. I just moved them to my C5 (which only has a few Z-Wave devices) and haven’t had to look back.

You all have grabbed my attention. I have a ZSE40 and ZSE11 on the way so I can see if I can figure anything out. Zooz has said if I can find any issues with the device itself they will certainly look into it and update the firmware. I can test it paired to my hub and also directly to a USB stick and see what kind of messages it is sending.

3 Likes

Find anything interesting on the ZSE40? I just repaired both of mine to the C7 with no security, we’ll see how they do.

I have one paired with S0 right now since yesterday and having no issues so far. I set it in my office and made a rule to turn on my lights with motion. I might try adding the ZSE11 with S0 on purpose, and also I have a ZEN25 double plug that is a known mesh killer I can toss in there as well. Right now the ZEN25 has been paired with no security for a while and all the reporting turned up higher and it is not causing any problems.

Discovered a parameter #8 on the ZSE40 I think it might be to set the motion reporting to only one command instead of two how it is now. Waiting for Zooz to confirm and tell me what to set it to. Also mentioned that #5 per the manual should be the re-trigger time but that's not what it does. I have my #5 set to 30 and I cant really tell what it does exactly but I suspect it is a motion clear time as someone else had pointed out before.

If I remember correctly from a few years ago when these were my problem childs, the device defaults to an 8 second re-trigger time no matter what you set the setting to.

I burned way too much time chasing this last year. My experience is that the problem grows worse as more ZSE40 sensors are added to the mesh.
If paired at S0, one can be okay but you see some instability. Two you see more frequent problems. Three you’re dead. I have four and was never able to add the fourth one before the mesh died.
Even when I re-paired them without security the C7 mesh just didn’t perform well. Missed motion triggers and button events all over the house.
Since moving them all to a C5 without security they have performed flawlessly.

3 Likes

If anyone wants to help try this out, there is a parameter #8 that can be set to only send one report per event instead of both. May require Firmware 32.02 as that is what I have. I set it on mine and can confirm it works as advertised. Still no issues for me but I only have one to test with.

You will have to use an alternate driver such as the Basic ZWave Tool to set the parameter manually. Size is 1. How to Access Advanced Settings for ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor on Hubitat - Zooz Support Center

From Zooz:

Parameter 8 was added later and the values are:
0 = disable basic reports for motion sent to Group 1
255 = enable basic reports for motion sent to Group 1 (default)
This is to minimize the amount of motion reports and eliminate duplicate reports sent to the hub if notification reports are already recognized.

I am trying to get this to fail without luck thus far. I have the ZSE40 paired with S0. I just paired the ZSE11 with S0/S2 last night (it wanted both so not sure what that means exactly). I also re-paired my ZEN25 with S2 last night. Two of these things we tell everyone else to never do because it will break everything. Still going fine.

I am probably going to turn param 8 back on for the ZSE40 to create more reports and try to break something. Maybe set the ZEN25 back to the true defaults which sends a lot of reports.

The ZSE11 does not seem to re-trigger the motion event constantly like the ZSE40 does so that might be the biggest issue people are having. The ZSE11 did seem to be more flaky with the motion though, it was cycling from active to inactive a lot where the ZSE40 would stay as active. Both were right next to me pointing at me.

You are less likely to experience "mesh crashing" with only one of these devices. You will however begin seeing problems eventually. Most who had/have issues have/had more than just one device. I still haven't understood why you've decided to experience this for yourself on a 4 year old defective device?

1 Like