Zse44 Reporting Going Nuts

I have 2 ZSE44 Temperature/Humidity sensors. Both have worked great for some time. Not all of a sudden both of them have gotten real flaky on values. Battery value goes from 100 to 5 to 50 to 100, etc. Humidity goes up and down all over the place. I have replaced the batteries, but no change. Also, and I can't be sure on this, but I seem to remember a refresh button on the driver which is no longer there.

This just started happening the last couple days after updating to the latest HE firmware.

What firmware version do you have on them. The latest is 1.20. If you don't have the lates I recommend updating. I had similar issues that was resolved with the latest firmware.

If you need to update you need to contact their support to get access to the latest firmware files and go from there.

One is 1.1 the other 1.2. Both of them acting up.

Are they in a cold location? Mine is in the garage and it is now reporting 1% battery all the time but it still works. I had one of their contact sensors attached to my freezer that was doing the same (I replaced it with one that takes AAA batteries).

Also, I do have a community driver if you want to try it, but what you describe sounds like a device issue more than a hub/driver issue. [DRIVER] Zooz Sensors Advanced (ZSE40 / ZSE44)

Both inside. Just seems weird they both started acting up at the same time.

Are the devices on an extreme edge of your mesh where they might be getting weak signals? I know Zooz has had issues with that on some devices but usually they still report good values, just start spamming them out frequently.

Did you update the hub zwave firmware as well to 7.18?
I am on current hub and zwave firmware, using my custom driver above. Also device is on 1.20 firmware. Mine is working fine. Here is event history, this is all from today.

I have a C5, don't think there is a separate update to the zwave firmware. One unit is within 10 ft of the hub, the other a ways further.

In your pic you show battery at 1%. Is that normal?

EDIT: Things have been normal for the past couple days. Maybe it was just a fluke and has settled down.

I have 6 ZSE44s and 3 of them have been reporting 1% for over a month now. It was one of the things that prompted me to post this question actually. Is there any battery management app?

If you're on firmware 1.2 it should only be reporting every 12 hours. They completely removed the parameter for changing this because of exactly these type of problems.

VER. 1.20 (released 6/2022)

Firmware: 1.20

• Removed parameter 1 and limited battery reports based only on time interval (12 hours) to minimize reporting
  • Fixed bug: a different notification value is now sent for low and high humidity alerts (Event 0x02 was previously sent for both high and low alerts)
  • Fixed bug: if parameter 13 is set to 0 (Celsius), then all parameter values relating to temperature are now also calculated in Celsius as well (parameters 3, 5, 7, and 14 used to be calculated in Fahrenheit regardless of the value set in parameter 13)

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/912-zse44-temperature-humidity-xs-sensor-change-log/

In this case, yes, as I noted above it is in my cold garage so the button cell battery is putting out minimal voltage I suspect. Enough to keep it working but it thinks the battery is about to die.

I do have the very similar contact sensor, which when it was on my freezer it would also read 1%, I moved it to an actual door and now its getting normal readings again. Those little CR2032 batteries really do not like the cold.

I've just had a problem with this sensor also. First battery gone in a few days. Figured it was just a bad factory battery. Replaced with good 2450 and now that's died. Led me to this post. I found a specific driver on Zooz's website so I switched to that. Now I guess I'm waiting for my account and product registration to be verified because I can't seem to find the download for the new firmware. Frustrating.

Just got the firmware file, not having luck updating the firmware with the built in tool. Getting "Device did not respond to firmware metadata request" common?

Solved with some good timing a few times with waking the device up during the process.

The driver you got was probably mine, I have it posted on the forum also, and in HPM. Zooz has permission to link directly to my drivers on their site.

For the updates, sounds like you got it to work but for future it goes a lot smoother on battery devices if you "Disable" the device with the RED X in the device list before doing the update. This prevents the devices driver from responding back to the device telling it that it can go back to sleep.

1 Like

Device updated to latest firmware, using Zooz's driver...battery has died again already....I'm about to be done with this thing and let it hit the trash can. Can anyone tell me if they are getting a decent amount of battery life with this thing?

I have a sonoff TH01 that's now on year 2 with the same battery.

Mine has had the same battery since I set it up, even in the cold garage. Probably been around a year.

1 Like

Mine's doing fine -- I'm using it to report bathroom humidity (no temp). Battery is still showing 100, and I think I popped that one in early last fall. It's on latest f/w (1.2).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.