ZSE18 - Always Active

Hello - my new ZSE18 device always shows as active. I'm running the latest Hubitat FW, re-paired the device three times, always the same outcome. I've attached some images for you to see:

Note, the motion is still showing as active even though it has been in an empty room for the past 10 minutes.

Last update from device was from last motion detect.

I have 2 of those and they are not doing that. Tagging @agnes.zooz for her input.

Thanks for tagging the other person.

Small update - the device shows it's last update time was 12:52:48.
Still showing last activity at 12:28:20.

Motion still active.

After playing around a bit more, it looks like I require more zwave devices to extend my network. The distance I'm getting to my first device is so short. First time using this stuff!

That being said, I'm trying to go through one basic wall and 10 feet away. It loses its connection to the HUB. Is this normal?

By basic wall I assume you mean wood studs and drywall? No it should be okay if it's that close. Mine is further than that but I do have a Zooz power strip that is, by chance, between the hub and sensor and the other one is in the same room as the hub but I haven't seen other people posting issues about it here. I do recall when I first set it up that it was behaving oddly until I clicked on Save Preferences and maybe even Refresh I don't recall 100% now as it's been a few weeks.

Not sure this will help at all, but when I installed my ZSE18 2 weeks ago the driver that it picked up in hubitat just made the device act really strange with motion detection. I found below a port of the driver for when I used mine in ST. This driver worked great and my ZSE18 is working perfectly now. Can't hurt to try it.

2 Likes

@bbdj please send me a message if the sensor is still not working correctly for you so we can take care of that for you! It should report well even with the built-in driver as long as there's enough Z-Wave coverage in that area and as long as the hub is routing to it correctly.

Thanks for the message - It might just be the range, but range is sooo atrocious. It's my first ZWave device.

MIne goes through 3 walls and 2.5 rooms to reach my hub, about 18-20 feet and no problems at all with that

@bcopeland I was experiencing some weird behavior with one of my 6 ZSE18s... starting 2 days ago it would report inactive after the timeout period and then immediately report active again (falsely). Changed sensitivity, unpaired/re-paired... neither fixed the problem. This driver fixed the issue... request for 2.2.4: can you parse the differences between the canned driver and the community driver and figure out what's better with the community version? Would be nice to have the OOTB driver back in play again. The downside to the community driver is that event notification in the logs is only thru the debug mechanism, so it doesn't report the device name. It just says "Motion active" or "Motion inactive" next to a device ID.

I'll look into it

1 Like

I was experiencing some weird behavior with one of my 6 ZSE18s... starting 2 days ago it would report inactive after the timeout period and then immediately report active again (falsely).

Have you tried changing the battery? Odd that it’s only on one of your 6 devices, and just started two days ago.

I’ve had no trouble with mine on my C-7 with 2.2.3.148 using the built-in driver, but a difference is that mine are USB powered.

I thought it was odd that only 1 unit behaved this way, too. Battery reports 95%, so I didn't think to swap it. Honestly I didn't think the alternate driver would improve anything, and was surprised when it fixed the problem.

I could never get a warm and fuzzy about this sensor. Since I was never confident it would always work I tried another motion detector - the Phillips Hue. It is zigbee, but since these are my first devices, I'm going to move forward with that protocol. The Phillips detectors have been flawless.

Started acting up again, even with the advanced driver. I'm suspecting a bad sensor at this point and pulling it from its current location. The Fibaro sensor I just picked up seems to be behaving much more reasonably.

Found and corrected the problem: the ZSE18 was stubbornly holding on to a motion sensitivity setting of 8 (most sensitive). I missed this, since the device properties page was showing me the value I wanted to have in the drop-down and I wasn't looking carefully at the reported state variable values. The mismatch was right there for me to see, if I'd just opened my eyes. Getting the sensitivity actually configured to a more reasonable value was something of a chore compared to my other ZSE18s, however.

Factory resets and repeated attempts to change the parameter using both the built-in driver and the advanced driver failed to work. @agnes.zooz suggested it might have something to do with being included with S2 and asked me to try pairing with no security before changing the sensitivity. This did the trick... sensitivity was successfully set a 4, and after re-inclusion with S2 security the parameter can be changed to any other value (I'm staying away from 8). No idea why it was stuck at 8, but at least there's a method for getting it un-stuck and getting the device to behave as it should.

With a more reasonable sensitivity setting the "always active" behavior is gone and I've been able to put this sensor back to its proper location.

2 Likes

anyone tried the ZSE18 with firmware 2.0 ?
Does it report lux / illuminance?