Zooz ZEN34

Hey Folks,

Looking at wall remotes and I have always like the Zooz products, so I am interested in the ZEN34.
Done some reading on it and it appears to have some issues a while back, but haven't read anything as of late. For those of you that are using them, do you have any issues still? How is the battery life? Are you happy with them? Are you using the built in driver?

After the firmware update, these have been rock-solid for me. I have six total. I have been using them with multiple presses a day and after more than a year, one device reports a battery level of 90% while the others remain at 100%. I'm very satisfied with battery life as well as the performance. All are paired with S2 security.

1 Like

I have one idling at the moment until I find a good use for it. Tested with the default driver and it works. If you want more than 2x button pushes I think you need a custom driver. I would be willing to make a custom driver for it as well if there is a demand not met by current offerings.

My two are working well also. I don't think I did a firmware update; I seem to be on 1.01.

There is a custom driver for it already. Not sure who did it-I think there was a link on the Zooz site.
Does associations. You can go up to five button pushes (yeah that'd be easy), accessible through Rule Machine, not Simple Automation. So, it'd be either button 1 or 2 pushed x times, x=2 being double tapped.

I have one hanging on the wall by the door that shuts off the water pump and water cop valve and turns on security video when we leave the house. A double tap can turn the video on when at home.

Sounds great guys, thanks for the feedback. Think I am going to order a few and try em out!

There is: How to Access Advanced Settings for My ZEN34 Remote Switch on Hubitat - Zooz Support Center. That one links to the krlaframboise driver; he's done quite a few like this.

I also wrote one, which I don't think I ever posted about but should be pretty simple: Hubitat/drivers/zooz/zooz-zen34-remote.groovy at master · RMoRobert/Hubitat · GitHub. (EDIT: Posted about it now; see: https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-zooz-zen34/123044.) The big difference I can see is that, like most of my other button/remote/switch/dimmer drivers, I use standard button events rather than custom attributes, so apps like Button Controller can work with them natively. There is some simple math to convert, given that Hubitat's button capabilities max out at double taps (which I ignore since it doesn't help here): taps 1-5 up are buttons 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 pushed, while taps down are buttons 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. Held and released also work on buttons 1 and 2.

As for the device itself, I have a few (plus some in box I never found a place to put...), and the batteries lasted about 9 months on one but is still going more than a year on the others. There may have been some early firmware updates that helped. I still prefer Picos since I doubt these are going to reach the 10 years they claim, but they have the advantage of looking more like a "regular" paddle switch and not needing a Lutron system, and they're not too expensive.

2 Likes

Also, I've used direct associations off that page and it works great.

I had problems with them spamming the network with battery reports, which ferociously affected the battery life, but since the last firmware update they have been solid. I think it’s been about a year now since I replaced the batteries and one is at 90%, the other 100%. They take 2 X 2032 batteries which are cheap and easy to find.

1 Like

I have 4 of them and use some of them daily. As @Ken_Fraleigh pointed out prior to firmware 1.04 they had a tendency to occasionally spam the Zwave network with battery reports.

I think this was found to possibly be related to a weaker zwave network. I would see it on occasion and it would normally correct itself after a few reports on my network.

When 1.04 was released I applied it to all 4 of mine and they have worked great and minimal battery reporting. I would say they may have gone to far in the other extreme as battery reporting seems to be very infrequent now. It isn't uncommon in my case now for the "Device Activity" to flag them as not responding because they report so infrequently

Ok thanks @mavrrick58 i'll be sure and update firmware to 1.04 before putting them to use.

I've had zero luck updating the firmware on the Zen34 and I have them connected without security. Any tips on a procedure that works? I've been trying to do the update with the App built into the C7 and I have had no success. Thanks!

Are you disabling the device/driver when doing the update? This is necessary for sleepy devices to avoid the driver putting it back to sleep during the middle of an update. Otherwise, any errors in Logs or the app UI that might help?

3 Likes

I am not, and I hadn't tried that so thanks. Do I substitute in the one called "Device"? Or is there another NULL driver that I should use?

You can use the generic "Device" driver, or just check box next to the devices to disable it which will disable the driver basically. The point is to prevent the driver you are using from responding to a wakeup from the device. Many drivers for battery devices will send some commands and then tell the device "I'm Done" so the device can go back to sleep. We do not want that to happen while updating firmware.

3 Likes

Perfect, I updated both switches. I did not know that. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.