Zooz Zen30 Relay Switch Not Working

@hydro311 yes certain. I'm going to reinstall it.

1 Like

And comparing what I already have installed to the link above, I do already have 2.0.2 installed as well.

@jtp10181 I have done the matching, I've gone through the repairing, it is showing as v2.0.2, not showing as any updates available, I'm selecting everything, and still showing as UNK00 type in the child device settings. Here's the debug logs on the parent device while pressing configure.

The info on the child device is irrelevant in this issue.

Looks like you cut off the start of the debug logs which is the part I actually want to see, see my post above for an example.

On the device page of the parent, the top right corner would show the version of the driver in an info box with a link to the community post, if its not there then it is so old it is before I added it to the top right.

It's there. It says "Community Link - Zooz ZEN30 v2.0.2"

Ok can you show the start of the debug logs from configure? It should look something like my example above. In your last screenshot it looks like you cut off the start of it.

After it is done, refresh the page and also show the Current States and State Variables again.

1 Like

@jtp10181

Screen Shot 2024-06-08 at 6.31.40 AM

Ok everything looks good now. The child relay is still not working correctly?

If you want to clear any of that info from the child, switch the type/driver to the one named "Device" then use the two buttons to clear current states and state variables. Refresh the page and it should be clear. Then you can switch it back to my custom child driver Child Central Scene Switch if you have it installed, otherwise Generic Component Central Scene Switch will also work.

You could also use the Device driver from the parent to delete the child device if you don't have a bunch of automations tied to it, and then let my driver r-create it.

From there, it looks like it should be working correctly now that the configure has detected the endpoints.

Whew. This worked! It's working through z-wave/the hub, working on the physical buttons, and now even working with Alexa as well. In the process of everything I even noticed the "Relay Auto Turn Off Timer" setting which is super handy for the bathroom exhaust fan to turn itself off after awhile of venting moisture after a shower.

You're the man! Thank you so much.

Glad we finally got it sorted out. So did you just have the wrong driver set on the child device this entire time? Clearing that warning on the child, although annoying, would not have done anything to make it suddenly start working. I honestly think the real fix was getting the configure to work correctly and getting that "endPoints: 2" state variable to populate. That is the KEY in making the 800LR model work with my driver.

If you want to take your bath fan to the next level check out this app. You just need a humidity sensor in the bathroom and one other in the house to use as a baseline.

@jtp10181 No I had the correct driver the whole time, and it was always on the recent version as well. I'm not sure what fixed it.

However, I've started having trouble with the OTHER double switch now, the one in the living room. I noticed the issues with that one started after this latest driver update. Some of the issues have been I could not get the bulbs to turn on at all (and in the Wiz app they showed as offline, as if they were not receiving any power at all. Troubleshooted the bulbs to no end, they're working fine). I had to hit Reconfigure in the device settings so many times, restart the router, untwist and twist back in the bulbs in case there was something goofy within that network as well, made sure all the drivers were up to date and the platform was uptodate and eventually it all started working again as expected in every way. But now what I'm seeing is every morning when I wake that dimmer switch no longer works. The relay does, both with physical button, Alexa commands, and Zwave from the hub portal, but the dimmer switch does not. I have an Alexa routine for when I wake up, "Alexa good morning" and she turns on just about every light in my condo as well as turning off the ceiling fan and such. What I've seen the last 3 mornings in a row now is the command works fine everywhere, except when I walk out to the living room and the lights on the double switch dimmer circuit are still off. I'll press the up paddle on the switch in case it was an Alexa routine command gone wrong, but alas the switch doesn't turn them on either. The only way I have gotten it to work for the rest of the day is to come in to the hub and hit the reconfigure button and reboot the Hubitat hub after. Then it all works the rest of the day until I go to bed and stops working again in the morning. Any ideas?

EDIT: actually now that I look at it, when I said "with this latest driver update" I'm actually thinking the driver update I saw was not the double switch but was the "ZEN Dimmer Advanced" one. Is that the one you pushed the update out a few days ago? If so then I have no idea what would have been the initial cause of the switch starting to have issues.

So you have Wiz bulbs connected to the ZEN30 dimmer? Do you have the dimmer part in smart bulb mode so that it does not but the power? Do you have a rule to adjust the bulbs from the dimmer paddle?

Go to the Events tab on the parent (dimmer) and show the me the area where you had the issue in the morning.

@jtp10181 Yes both the living room Zen 30 and the master bathroom Zen 30 have Wiz smart RGBW bulbs on the dimmer circuit, the dimmer definitely is in smart bulb mode. I have not set up a rule to adjust the bulbs, the only thing Hubitat does for my Wiz bulbs is on/off commands. No dimming of any amount, no scene settings, all of that I do within the Wiz app (99% of the time I just leave it on the circadian rhythm-like schedule I have programmed into them).

I screenshot the Events tab and put it below. It looks like not every interaction with that switch is represented (ie, my "Alexa, good morning" routine. But as I type this that makes sense because the Alexa Routine is commanding the Wiz bulbs directly, not the switch/bulb group in Hubitat). At the beginning of the sequence (earliest) I am hitting the Configure button, then going out to the physical switch again to try it, then hitting configure again, "28 pending changes" shows up, I reboot the hub and after that the lights come on via command through the Wiz app, then again in the hubitat events I'm testing the physical switch again with a down paddle command instead of an up paddle command and then it works from there. Similar kind of thing each morning. The Alexa "Good morning" routine fails to turn on the living room bulbs and I have to troubleshoot to get them to work for the day.

Sounds to me more like your Wiz bulbs are the issue. If the Alexa routine is commanding them directly then the switch it totally out of the picture.

If your button presses are registering in the events on the ZEN30 but the Wiz bulbs do not turn on/off, then again, problem is with the bulbs not the switch.

I would look at the events on the bulbs to see if you see "on" commands coming in, but not resulting state change from the device.

The Wiz bulbs are Wifi aren't they? Almost sounds like they are getting disconnected in the middle of the night. Do you have them set with a fixed IP in the router DHCP settings?

@jtp10181 I've tested the bulbs on other non-zen 30 circuits, but Zooz switch circuits and dumb switch circuits and the bulbs work fine, and they're 9 feet away from the router as well. When the issue I described in the last post occurs, its not JUST Alexa that isn't able to control them, the Zen30 switch itself does not work, and they do not show as online in the Wiz app either as if they've lost power. When, in that exact situation without doing anything troubleshooting in the Hubitat hub, I unscrew from that circuit and just screw into another one where other Wiz bulbs turned on just fine these same bulbs also then turn on (which suggests to me its specific to either the circuit or the switch, but since hitting Configure and rebooting the hub seems to fix it and then it works, it feels like its the switch).

Yeah Wiz bulbs are wifi. I've had my issues with that in the past, but I have gone to lengths with Wiz to get it resolved (including 12 new bulbs) and repositioning my router to maximize the signal strength, and for quite awhile now I have had zero issues with them. And yeah they have dedicated IP addresses in my router for every Wiz bulb.

Next time it happens either use a hot stick to verify voltage at the socket or put a regular bulb in there and see if it lights up.

Also since its a dimmer circuit, you should set the min AND max brightness to 99 to be sure it does not get dimmed somehow. Smart Bulb mode should be on with both physical and Z-wave control disabled.

Running the "Configure" on the ZEN30 is not going to fix anything, it just sends lot of commands to the switch causing excessive z-wave traffic, which if the device is not responding is only going to compound the problem. If anything you could try a refresh, that is much less intense.

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Just to be on the safe side.

Running the "Configure" on the ZEN30 is not going to fix anything, it just sends lot of commands to the switch

Oh gotcha. I thought that was why you were having me do it before.

@jtp10181 So it just did it again. I checked the logs and the Hub is recognizing the switch command and shows the state of the switch as On (its in smart bulb mode with paddle and zwave disabled, but I'm sure it accounts for that when reporting that state?). I went in to the Wiz app and the bulbs ARE showing as online and available, but just off. I tapped an individual bulb in the Wiz app to send an On command and that one bulb did immediately turn on. So I'm wondering then if that points at the Wiz Integration in HE as the culprit? At least in this precise scenario? (though I dont know what the culprit would be when normally the bulbs do not show as even having power. I'll still keep experimenting with when this happens and the bulbs dont show as online I'll swap out for a dumb bulb and see if there is even power going through the circuit)

Check the events on the Wiz bulb, if your rules are working correctly you should seen a command-on and then the bulb not responding, which indicates a problem on the Wiz side of it.

I had a few more ideas also

Tested on a ZEN30 v3
If you have the settings like this:

Then the switch state will not reflect the load state, if you click the paddle down the switch will report off but the load stays where ever it was (hopefully on).

I wonder if your switch is loosing power or rebooting sometimes and defaulting back to off?
You could try this setting to make sure the dimmer always comes back as ON (set relay to whatever your preference is).

You could also disable only the paddle control, allowing z-wave commands to work:

Then make a rule that once a day sends an ON command to the switch to be sure it stays on.

You could also do the settings like this if you ar not using the switch state for anything:

Then the switch state will reflect the load state, if you turn on/off from the hub it will turn load on/off and switch state will change. If you click the paddle it will report the button press only but the switch state does not change. This could be helpful because you can easily see if the switch thinks the load is on or off.

You could have a rule in the middle of the night that power cycles the power on the load if you think that might force the bulbs to reconnect.

The Events tab for all 3 bulbs show the same thing:

Command on is there, but nothing indicating the bulb isn't responding.

Looking at the Switch right now I see the following:

Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 8.20.24 AM
Do those still-pending jobs time stamped 2 hours ago indicate anything? Or 2 pending changes still chillin in the States?

Tested on a ZEN30 v3
If you have the settings like this

This is how the settings have been the whole time? Should I not have had them like this previously?

I wonder if your switch is loosing power or rebooting sometimes and defaulting back to off?

This is something to consider actually. This specific circuit did not exist until a year ago. My living room had no ceiling light and thus no wiring for one. Rather than do it myself, I paid an electrician to come and change a switched receptacle into an always hot outlet, then change the switch on that circuit into a switch for the ceiling fan/light that I had him install and run the wiring up and over for. The thing I've been curious about ever since is if the wiring was done perfectly. I'm not an electrician and do not know, but I've always wondered. This ceiling fan DOES have 3 different settings and each of them do work in changing the speed of the fan, but all 3 of them are so much slower than I had expected this fan to spin at. It has always made me wonder, but I have no idea how to check nor what to check to double check his work. But if there IS something thats causing it to lose power, thats believable. The only caveat to that that makes me doubt is that the issue seems to happen consistently overnight at some point and never at any other time of the day. That would be quite the coincidence.

You could also disable only the paddle control, allowing z-wave commands to work

I've also just this morning started to wonder about this. I've noticed that with my Alexa routines, she works in commanding my Zooz switches that control dumb bulbs and do not have the load control option turned off, but she, through HE, does NOT control the bulbs that are on Zooz switches when they're in Smart Bulb mode, and I therefore have had to add the command in the Alexa routine to control the bulb directly. I guess I'm just oblivious to how the Alexa commands and the z-wave signals and everything integrate. It would be nice if Alexa would be able to still command the smart bulb mode switches (or at least I guess perform the same command/rule that the switch does when its in that mode)

You could also do the settings like this if you ar not using the switch state for anything:

State variables or using States or really knowing anything about them is far from my forte on here.I'm not sure I'm using switch states for anything? I guess that would be dependent on how the Rules I have set up actually operate?