Zooz Zen30 and 2.2.4

As of 2.2.4.153, the Zen30 still isn't reporting button events for scene control (even with the updated 1.07 Zooz firmware). For reference, I have a C7 hub, but this is not exclusive to the C7. This is a feature that was present prior to the 2.2.4 release. For comparison, here are the event logs before and after the release...

VS

3 Likes

I am experiencing the same issue on 2.2.4.153 and 1.07 Zooz firmware on both my newly installed z30 switches. Tried everything, can't get HE to see any zwave updates all. Switch responds to zwave commands but nothing in the logs and nothing fires in my rules. I've tried to use S2 no security and also no security without S2 but nothing. Moved the HE right beside the switch and can see there's no nodes in the mesh between it. Think I've ruled everything out at this point. Help!

1 Like

Please confirm which Zen30 firmware the switch is on and whether it reports physical doubleTapped events if you have a chance.

Mine used to (prior to 2.2.4) report physical doubleTapped events but does not any more including 2.2.4.158. However, my devices are still on firmware 1.03 so I was hoping maybe a firmware update has fixed the doubleTap event situation since my wife depends on them.

I also am on FW 1.03 with my Zen30's.

When I doubletap the top of the paddle, the child device (not the parent, as was typical previously) reports: "Button 1 doubleTapped."

When I doubletap the bottom of the paddle, the child device (not the parent, as was typical previously) reports: "Button 2 doubleTapped."

When I doubletap the lower button, the child device (as expected) reports: "Button 1 doubleTapped."

To be clear, all doubletaps are being reported from the child device, and I can find no way to make the parent report a doubletap...

From my perspective, the issue is that physical doubletaps on the (parent device) dimming-paddle are being reported as coming from the (child device) relay button. This is counter-intuitive and has rendered my button rules useless. I could reconfigure the rules, but this isn't the way it should be working and I don't like the idea of kludging the rules to fit the buggy new driver...

I haven't updated the firmware because I haven't seen anyone else indicate that this fixes the problem. If I'm misunderstanding that and a firmware update is thought to cause doubletaps to be reported from the correct device, I'll get right on that...

The new Zooz firmware doesn't fix the button press issue. I have a Zen30 on 1.03 and one on 1.07. Neither correctly show button presses on the main switch.

1 Like

Not sure why it's taking Zooz so long to get this right. It's frustrating. Such a great switch in concept but they can't get each switch to properly report?

1 Like

I guess I'm not sure who's "fault" this exactly is. The device seemed to work fine before 2.2.4 on its original 1.03 firmware and my C-5 hub. I think I understand that there was some incompatibility with the Zen30 pairing to C-7 hubs in S2 mode, thus the updated firmware from Zooz and driver included with 2.2.4?

In any case, I see that @bcopeland and @agnes.zooz are both involved in this thread, but I'm not sure either one has acknowledged that an issue still exists (at least for some users) after whatever fixes they made in fw1.07 & the built-in driver updated in 2.2.4.147.

I don't really mind waiting patiently for a fix, but it would be good to know if that fix needs to be firmware, driver, or both - and to know that someone at either Zooz, or Hubitat, or both knows what needs to be done and has a roadmap to do it?

The fan switch for me does not report. I am working around it with a virtual. As it will turn on and off but not report the correct state so I have a virtual that does the trick but it's been like this for months for me. I have not updated the firmware and I'm still on 2.2.3 until I know that it's working correctly for others. Don't want to take a step backwards.

This was fixed with 1.07 firmware and later 2.2.4 releases. Still has double-tap issues, but basic single-tap reporting works.

Okay I swore someone said it wasn't. Maybe I'll try 2.2.4 later today or tomorrow. Thanks.

Is this still in testing? Is it recommended to update?

The change log at ZEN30 Double Switch Change Log - Zooz Support Center doesn't mention this version, yet.

No combination of firmwares or hubitat versions is working correctly for me or anyone else with a c-5 hub post 2.2.4 that I've seen. Worked fine with 1.03 prior to that release.

Given that the hubitat update caused the problem it seems like it's pretty clearly on their end, but I think @bcopeland thinks it's fixed for everyone.

Ok, thanks for the info. For now at least I can make it work by re-assigning the child device as the trigger for my simple automations. I hadn't looked to the the child device for events from the parent despite your having mentioned it prior.

Unfortunately it has been out of commission so long my wife and kids have given up trusting the switches to operate reliably.

I have 3 of these double-switches on C-5 with no issues. The C-5 is on 2.2.4.156, and the firmware on the switches is 1.05.

Edit - @agnes.zooz, since my switches are working, would you like me to test a more recent FW version?

Not being combative, but genuinely interested: If you walk over to one of your Zen30s right now and doubletap the top of the paddle, what is reported in your logs? Does it show the event coming from the Parent Device (dimmer paddle) or from the child (relay button)?

Parent.

Weeeeeird. Now I really want to know what's going on here. Might have to remove and re-add a device to see if that has any effect...

BTW - Thanks for the quick reply!

To throw a wrench into this whole thing, my Zen30s don't show button events on either the parent or child devices. And it's on 1.07. I have one on 1.03 that behaves the same way

Were they working correctly before updating to 2.2.4?

I have two of these switches and double tap the top paddle on both report as: fan - Button 1 doubleTapped (the child device)

Debug logs (on parent, light) show CentralSceneNotification with keyAttributes:3, sceneNumber:1

C7 with 2.2.4.158. dev:482 has firmware: v1.05 and dev:484 has firmware: v1.03
Both are joined with no security.