Zooz ZEN21 unresponsive

Thank you

1 Like

I think the circuit and soldering are probably bridging into skills I don't have. Or at least not without more steps. I'm an engineer, but not electrical, and only had two EE courses that I took (one of which was my second worst grade in school). I also don't know how it connects to the fan :confused: Is that still needed for the GE switches?

Not if you use that fan rated "commercial grade" 43074,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKD3RTT

2 Likes

A couple more questions, sorry...

1. Is this indicative of the switch being damaged, the fan, both, or that some protection is kicking in to save both?

2. Regarding this

I not only used your driver for the ZEN21s, but also for a ZEN27 dimmer. The device page for the dimmer still says 2 changes pending (after configure), and I wanted to know if there's anything I need to do?

You stated that the switch needs to be reset after 2-3 weeks when it becomes unresponsive to paddle presses and zwave control. After a power cycle it works again for the same period, correct?

I don’t think you have any damage yet. The cpu in the switch is just getting in a funk due to the transient hits. Yes if you let this go one for too long you might damage the switch but then it would. It work anymore following a reset.

The fan is just a simple motor. This isn’t going to hurt anything there.

1 Like

If you are at or above the min firmware listed hitting save under the preferences should try to sync it up again. If it still not working you can turn on debugging and try the save again, and post a log screenshot with the debug messages.

Firmware is at 3.1 and the min looks like 2.08.

I tried to run that debug test and realized another problem too. First the logs:

I also tried to walk past the room sensor to trigger it on, and realized that it's showing null for the device. I thought this is probably because I had excluded/included the dimmer. So I went to motion lighting and saw partial confirmation, but now the ZEN27 isn't showing up under dimmers:

So I'm not sure it's recognizing the device right. Thanks for taking a look at the logs, and I hope maybe the other info gives a hint.

Thought I replied to you directly in the last, sorry.

I switched to Bryan's driver, and now motion lighting does show it as a dimmer again:

And not wanting to keep making it more complicated, but the ZEN21 fans keep turning on by themselves, but nobody was home (and log just seems to show physical switch pressed, which is impossible)

For the fan turning on, for some reason there's no prompts for parameters 3 and 5 (the on or off timers). I tried to use the z wave basic driver to change them, but when I go back to the advanced driver it resets to being turned on value=1.

Seems like you have something screwy with the driver. If you are using hubitat package manager you might need to un match them or delete the drivers and reinstall fresh. Someone else was having this issue. My driver should show 3.01 for firmware, Bryan’s would show 3.1 which is not correct. It almost looks like you are using the switch driver on a dimmer or visa versa.

Should I be able to see preferences for parameters 3 & 5, or are they intentionally left off the device page?

I feel like something relates to getAdjustedParamValue because my parameters 4 and 6 also changed to 60 (1 hr). I'll try reinstalling the driver.

Your statement is weird.

The firmware version is not a true decimal with a defined value. For example, "3.01" doesn't have the value of three plus one-hundreths of one. Nor, for that matter, does "3.1" have a value of three plus one-tenth of one.

They are both strings that should be read as three-point-one, presumably indicating the first published revision to firmware version three. How Zooz/you/@bcopeland choose to designate it doesn't alter the fact that they are strings with no numerical value.

Ergo, there is no right or wrong between designating three-point-one as "3.1" or "3.01". You could call it III.I and be just as correct (or, as you apparently prefer, wrong).

Taking what @aaiyar said into account, too - I put the driver to basic Z-Wave and then repaired yours on HPM. I then switched back to yours on one of the ZEN27s. The firmware reported did now show 3.01, which I'm guessing is a formatting entry in the driver?

I ran the test parameters, and noted that the log showed 1 for the on and off timers enabled. I switched back to Basic and used the set parameters to set 3 to 0. Switched back to yours and ran the test again. This time it disabled parameter 11, and the value for 3 was back to 1. It seems like the driver keeps resetting that parameter and 5 for the other timer (even though getAdjustedParamValue seems like it should see the 0 value and keep it as 0). I don't know what a fingerprint is for, but noted also that there isn't one for the ZEN27.

I then went back to Bryan's driver, and noted that the firmware still shows 3.01 (did not run configure yet).

That’s why.

Oddly enough, I next ran the configure, but it still showed 3.01. I then did a repair on HPM of Bryan's ZEN27 driver, and when I came back to the device page it was back to 3.1.

On my driver 3 and 5 are hidden and controlled using 4/6. I combined it into one setting and when you set 3/5 it adjusts 4/6. If you set auto-off to disabled it will change 3 to 0 (disabled) and 4 to 60 (default) and the 60 minutes wont come into play because it is disabled with #3.

Yes I suppose but when you get to 3 dot 10 the difference between "3.1" and 3.10" would be confusing for most people. I am also matching the Zooz docs so it can be matched up if asking them for support.

We definitely don't recommend using the ZEN76 model with fans as mentioned in the product documentation, the inrush current may damage the electronics in the switch in the long run.

@es_ferret if you're using your switches with fans, that may be the issue, another reason for them locking up may be configuration or security so if they keep acting up, please send the details to our support team and we'll try our best to work it out for you!

Ah crap. Another typo on my part. I’m using two zen21’s and the latest is a zen71.

I will edit my previous post to correct.

Thanks Agnes.