Zooz Zen17 relay

This is accurate, although I am not activating the ZEN17 relay at the end of the flow, it's just to control lighting. And I agree, it makes no sense. I currently have a Hubduino Mega running with several door/window switch inputs, this motion detector and one other and a garage door controller. The problem with the Hubduino is that it periodically (once every 3 or 4 weeks) stops issuing events (and the heartbeat times out). I have not been able to duplicate this intentionally even having it run on my workbench for weeks with logging on, so I was looking at the ZEN17 as something perhaps more reliable. I don't really want to replace what is a really good motion sensor (PIR + Microwave), and the other one I am using is a microwave unit over the driveway for outside lights.

(Ha, ha, the Board software is telling me "Let others join the conversation. This topic is clearly important to you – you've posted more than 20% of the replies here.)

2 Likes

Thanks this is my setup now. :+1:

Very much looking forward to being able to get my hands on a Zen 17 in Canada. Please let me know if there is an option I missed. I just reached out to Home Tech Solution on Amazon.ca hoping they can get their hands on these. Thanks

Anyone know of any water leak sensors/probes that will work with this? Manual says max 40k Ohm but all the probes I've found are ~1M Ohm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've had my ZEN17 for a few days now, having issues, trying to see the advanced prefs. I have a ticket into Zooz, but so far, no luck. I am running the latest firmware, 1.04, but all that shows is the standard prefs and I am in need of some of the advanced settings, for adjusting the momentary timer. I had to order a ZEN16, to complete my install for a customer, since I can't seem to get the ZEN17 to show up correctly.

Maybe you can use the Basic Z-Wave Tool driver to change the desired parameters?

Thanks. I have some learning to do, I bought the usb stick, but have not learned how to use it, or what software is used. I'll check this out. I just reset the zen17 again, updated firmware on the C7, and still only the basic settings. Even the momentary setting doesn't seem to work. I turn it on, but it never shuts itself backoff.

Here is @danabw's excellent guide on ghost removal but it also contains instructions on installing the PC Controller sw.

1 Like

The Device Driver that Hubitat made for the device just does not support the full capabilities such as turn on timers and turn off timers. The Zen16 which came before it has a much more feature rich device driver. Its a bit frustrating for sure. Once again going to tag @bcopeland in the hopes he can use the time spent on the Zen16 driver to give the Zen17 the same capabilities (and more?). I was hoping it would be in 2.2.7 as a lot of folks I believe could use the extra capabilities.

If you want to get a peek of the type of driver required, just go into your Zen17 device and change the device driver to 'Zooz multirelay'. This has some of the extra capabilities that the device can offer. I would not click on save preferences or any other button or it will create three more child devices and make a mess. Or you can just see the screenshot below to get an idea. (minus the third relay of course)

1 Like

I did order the Zen16, and just finished programming it, works perfectly! My customer wanted something to kick some of my access controlled doors open remotely. This does the job and more and I can push some other devices down the road. I'm going to keep the Zen17, hoping that the driver eventually works like the 16. Zooz is still telling me that I should see those extra settings but I do not, no matter what I do.

Thanks for the heads up.. I have 2 Zen17's and a Zen16. Was thinking about using one of the 17's for a clients garage doors but sounds like Zen16 might be the way to go.. don't really need the additional capabilities of the Zen17 anyway.

Added this between the Bosch motion sensor and Zen17, so motion signal (open) is closed only after 10s (adjustable). Mode 2 will restart the delay if there is new trigger from motion sensor. Working nicely. The only time delay relay I found can do low trigger. Might be overkilled for this purpose but doesn't need to go Arduino route.

DC 6 30V Micro USB LCD Digital Display Time Delay Relay Module Control Timer Switch Trigger Cycle Module 5V 12V 24V|Timers| - AliExpress

So what happened to the Zen17 device driver. I just bought mine and when it joined, it has not controls except configure and refresh. No relay control?

Go into the list of preferences, set them the way you want, then click on 'save preferences', then click on 'configure' at the top.

This should automatically create the 4 child devices. Mine are shown below:

1 Like

Okay,
That works. I wasn’t aware of that. That’s super strange? Why child devices?

Just how this type of device works, I suppose. From a practicality standpoint, it's no big deal though -- each child device can be managed as its own unique thing in rules, automations, etc.

1 Like

I just received my Zooz ZEN 17 relays. I'm currently on version 1.02 - see others here upgraded to 1.04. How do I do that? The device page doesn't show the option to Update Device - guessing that Hubitat doesn't have the update file. @agnes.zooz

Use this form - just ask for the latest firmware (1.04 AFAIK) - they'll email it to you (usually same day).

New Ticket - Zooz Support Center (getzooz.com)

1 Like

Thanks. Will this be installable with the built-in updater, or do I use the driver that you switch to and then update?

I used the built-in updater and it worked fine (no intermediary driver change required)... My Z17 is "none" security and is out in my detached garage (~50' from my hub) and it worked no problem. The update isn't a fast process, but mine was steady progress and successful on first try.

ETA: if they end up sending you a firmware newer than 1.04, please let us know here - thanks!

2 Likes