Zooz Zen17 relay

You taught me something today. I did not know the "Device" driver existed. What are the other uses for this driver?

ANyway, I did use it to delete the Child Devices, then went back to the ZEN17 driver and hit Configure. It did in fact recreate the Child Devices.

I guess I am still confused on why Zooz say to exclude/include if you change parameter 2 or 3? Does deleteing and recreating the Child Devices get around this issue?

Just the buttons that it has on there, basic cleanup stuff mostly for if your device gets included with the wrong driver and you want to wipe up any garbage left behind. Also the Info button will put the "fingerprint" in the logs, useful for driver devs to include in new drivers.

They probably did not know about this trick either, or because it looks like that is in the PDF manual, that is the 'universal' process for any hub you might have it on. It sounds like this would get around the need to re-include because Zooz is saying you only need to do that so the child devices get created correctly. @agnes.zooz see above, potential to update docs for Hubitat at least, if you delete the childs using my trick above and then go back and hit configure they get re-created. No exclusion needed.

I will also put in my todo list to make a companion driver for this device, just to view and configure all the parameters, and probably a button to delete child devices as well.

6 Likes

I use the auto off :wink:

Great, thank you for sharing! I'll make sure we update the instructions for the Hubitat knowledge base articles. The printed manual will most likely need to feature the current disclaimer since other systems still require exclusion and re-inclusion for the child devices to appear.

2 Likes

@dale.boyles @steve.maddigan @neonturbo @Levahj @hydro311

I put together a companion driver for the ZEN17. THIS DOES NOT REPLACE THE STOCK DRIVER. It is a companion to help with configuration of settings missing from the stock driver.

During testing I noticed that the stock driver seems to delete/create the child devices automatically as needed. So I don't think you ever needed to exclude the device, was just bad general directions from Zooz that don't apply to Hubitat due to the driver. There could be some cases though if the childs do not get created correctly, you can use my driver to delete the ones you need to then run configure on the stock driver to create them back correctly.

• All parameters available
  • Can sync settings from device
  • Settings will sync with stock driver
  • Allows you to delete a specific or all child devices

Should always run CONFIGURE on the stock driver if you change any settings that it uses from within this driver!

If this seems to work out ok I will probably make a new post for the driver, so let me know what you think.

3 Likes

I will take a backup and test this tomorrow in the daylight. Don't want the garage door lighting automations going wild after dark.

Thanks for making this driver!

2 Likes

Nice! I'm about to bounce out of town for a few days, but I'll play with this Sunday or Nonday when I return -- thank you!!

1 Like

Me too.

Thanks @jtmpush18

Thanks for the help! I just installed remotely and I appricate the "in-driver" directions about syncing. I will do some testing when I get back home, but so far so good.

It seems to work fine here. I configured mine for the one input to be a heat alarm, and to reverse that input which has been impossible to make work correctly in the past. I even deleted that heat alarm child device from relay slot 1 and re-created it to see what would happen. That went smoothly when deleting from your companion driver and running Configure again from the built-in driver. It created the new child correctly.

My only critique is that the parameters must be matched up with what each sub-setting in each parameter does. They aren't all listed out, which would be tough with so many settings, so I get why they aren't. Additionally, I believe there are at least a couple firmware versions out there with some having different (or more?) parameters than other firmware.

So maybe specify in the instruction post that users need the listing of parameters from their particular firmware version of this relay before using this companion driver.

I have never had to exclude the device to switch parameters, so I think that it also might be good to clarify that too if you copy this to a new post.

1 Like

Awesome little tool Jeff that worked exactly as expected.

Had to get out the datasheet since I had to decode Input Type for Sn C terminals, but really when you are configuring this thing you should probably have that handy anyway.

Just in case it matters, my zen17 is on FW 1.10.

1 Like

You trying to say you want a drop down menu for more of the settings? Wouldn't be that hard I just didn't feel like typing it all out for this quick thing (not really that quick) and figured people could use the docs. https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/698-zen17-universal-relay-advanced-settings/

If anyone want to make the list for me just has to be in this format:
options: [0:"Disabled",1:"Enabled"]

I could also include the firmware version limiting features of my code I stole from me other drivers using their changelog info, again just was trying to whip this up as quick as I could and get something out here.

Also, FYI, Firmware 1.20 is out, some sort of bug fix, I was just about to install it myself.

2 Likes

Not necessary, but just a footnote in either the driver and/or where you post this that you need to have that info handy.

Hmm, guess I need to request that. I still wish that Hubitat could just link to these or something without going through the rigmarole of emailing Zooz.

3 Likes

I gave the companion driver a quick whirl last night, and I'm a big fan of its potential -- this would be a nice win to help attract more users to the Z17, since I think some potential users are put off by the complexity of manually managing parameters (which is pretty unavoidable with this device).

If you end up continuing this project and create a new post for it, we can help flesh out some tips-&-tricks WRT things like breaking down the order of steps and what buttons to hit & when on which page etc.

For instance, I know I still always struggle a bit every time I use the darn Basic Z-wave Tool when I go back to the original driver -- do I hit Configure there again too for good measure or just let it ride (IIRC, that can vary [hence my struggle]).

But for such a widely-capable device like the Z17, the idea of a companion driver is really awesome -- I think it would really help increase adoption.

Thanks Jeff!

2 Likes

Wanted to thank Jeff as well. I have had no time to play with this but it looks like it is well on track as to what is needed for this awesomely capable device! Would definitely need the list of parameters if no pull downs are in the driver....

@neonturbo since you said you tried the reverse option I have a question. In the zooz docs it sounds like if you want them reversed you should ALWAYS set the reverse parameter to the same thing as the relay type (only working for options 4-10). Is that correct? If that's the case I could just code it as a Enabled/Disabled dropdown and behind the scenes set it the same as the input type. Or is there any reason to set them as different types?

That is my understanding of that setting, although I have never tried doing the incorrect way.

I am not sure that there would be a reason to set it "incorrectly". I would hope that if you set the reverse option and the initial parameter as normal, you would get some error or logic fault.

So unless Agnes or anyone else can provide evidence to not to, I guess that coding it so that when you reverse things, it does automatically lock you out of the other setting. If I get a few minutes I might try and see what happens.

Adding all the drop down menus, and coding it so the reverse is just on/off visually but in the back end it will set it to the same value as the trigger when possible, otherwise it can forcefully turn it back off if it cannot be enabled for the selected trigger. Stay tuned. Will be posted as its own thread and on HPM when ready.

5 Likes

@dale.boyles @steve.maddigan @neonturbo @Levahj @hydro311

Released and updated on HPM with a new post.
Matchup should work if you already have it installed.

4 Likes