Zooz Zen17 relay

Hi, I'm going to order a ZEN17 shortly for my garage door and after many of the posts on this thread, I have a question.

As suggested in a couple of posts, I plan to use a reed switch connected to the ZEN17 to track weather the door is open or closed. I found this reed switch on e-bay for $10 shipped -- does this look like something that will work? Other suggestions of where to buy one are welcomed, thanks!

Marc

I think those reed sensors should be fine. I used these Honeywell ones, but at the end of teh day, these kind of sensors are pretty basic, so as long as they're a sturdy-looking build, they should good.

I prefer versions like these that don't have wires already attched - it makes swapping out a failed/broken unit much easier.

This post has a wee bit more info on how I set my Z17 up using 2 reed sensors... Having the latest (1.04) firmware is key, and mine is joined as no security (not using S2 - S2 just doesn't seem quite ready for prime-time yet IMO).

The native Hubitat driver for Z17 doesn't expose ALL of the parameter options, but it handles most of them... The only thing I needed the "Basic Z-wave Parameter Tool" for is to set the auto-off time for my relay to 1 second - that makes it perform as if it's a momentary switch.

Here's what my parameters are for the Z17 itself...

@hydro311 thank you for that info!

My garage door opener has Chamberlain / MYQ Security+ 2.0. I've soldered a couple of wires onto the board of a spare remote opener and verified that when I momentarily short the wires, the garage door opener is activated.

My assumption is that I will need to connect those wires to one of the Z17's relays, and that activating the relay simply closes the circuit, simulating a button push. My other assumption is that doing so does not send any meaning current into the line that could potentially fry the remote. What you have written feels consistent with these assumptions, but wanted to double check with you that I didn't miss anything.

Thanks!

Marc

That plan sounds solid to me, but I unforrunately don't have any personal experience with involving an intermediary-remote option like that. t I'm certain I've heard other folks successfully doing soemthing like that, so it's possible.. I don't believe enough power comes rollin' through to fry a remote, but I'm not smart enough to know for 100% certainty or explain exactly why... Hopefully a smarter person will come along and be able to add more color!

Juast saw this thread mentioned in a diff topic post - may be some helpful nuggets for you in it?

I can't speak yo exactly what you are trying to do, but i can say in some queries to zooz support they confirmed to me both of your assumptions so you should be good with that method.

1 Like

You are correct. I have done this with a few projects in my house like “pressing” the hot water heater controller recirculating button and also pressing another controller via dry contact relay. Dry contact relays are designed to “close” the connection between the two terminals which basically connects the two wires as if you pressed the button. Voltage suppling the relay never makes it to these dry contact terminals.

3 Likes

Sorry if this has been answered before here. Been trying to make my zen17 control my garage door but to no avail. is there a step by step instructions somewhere that i could follow? I found this https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/370-how-to-use-the-zen16-multirelay-as-a-garage-door-opener-on-hubitat/ but it's for zen16.

Where are you getting stuck? Wiring it? Setting up in Hubitat? Dashboard button?

I was able to wire it, pair it and i even see the parent app and child apps in hubitat. But it just wouldn't open or close my garage. Do i have to install a separate tilt sensor? I have a smartthings multipurpose sensor lying around that i can use. I don't see an option to add a separate sensor in zen17 hubitat config though.

What terminals did you use for everything? Did you only use the outputs (large terminals), or did you wire your wall button into the Zen17 too (small terminals)?

Have to, probably not. But it will be much easier if you use that Smartthings or another similar sensor on the door. That will become apparent in a later section below.

So what did set the main device settings to? Screenshot of that page?

Also, you are going to have to set this up for garage door mode. There are ways to press the buttons on the Zen 17 to do so, but it was easier for me to use the Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool to set everything needed and check all the settings. The short version is you install this tool, and temporarily change the Zen17 driver (device type) to the Basic Zwave Tool. Open the logs in a new window, and back in the Zen device you can query the parameters to see how they are set. The output will be in logs. You can then set parameters as needed to become a momentary relay.

The parameters you need to check are listed in the manual, but you likely should double check at least parameters 6-9 and 15-18. I checked every parameter in the manual just to be sure it was set correctly. You basically want to be sure you have the auto-off timer for 1 second, and time units in seconds, and no auto-on timers set for the relay you use. Hopefully this will be easier in an upcoming Hubitat firmware, these parameters should have been exposed in the UI, but somehow they were omitted. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0218/7704/files/zooz-700-series-z-wave-plus-universal-relay-zen17-ver1.0-manual.pdf

The last confusing part was that I couldn't get a dashboard button to control things. After digging a bit, there are a couple apps that people have written to be garage door apps that combine a tilt sensor and the relay. I ended up using kahn-hubitat's [Release] Garage Door Opener App - LGK Virtual Garage Door which is also in Hubitat Package Manager if you use that. It was very simple to set up, and gave me my garage (control) dashboard button back.

3 Likes

Thanks @neonturbo for a detailed instructions. Before anything else though just have a few questions i want to have clarity on:

1. Why is there input tyoe ralay 1 and input type relay 2? I only have one garage door. Does those input represent 1 garage door each?
  2. Accirding to manual you linked, do i have to press z wave button for 5 seconds in order to use it as garage opener?

Thanks again!

Yes.

That is one way. But what I was trying to avoid was this warning from the manual:

IMPORTANT: If you set this parameter to value 4-10, you’ll need to exclude and re-include the device (without changing any settings) so that a child device is created for the input of your choice!

So that is why I suggest the Basic Zwave Tool. You just type in the parameter, size, and value without having to exclude and include again.

2 Likes

For posterity's sake here, there's a 12th value option for Parameters 2 and 3 ("Input Type for Relay 1/2")... I think it became available in the 1.04 update, so it's not mentioned in the manual yet, and it's not available in the native Hubitat driver yet. However, it's mentioned in this support page.

It's value #11 -- it's a different option for garage door mode that seems to involve a wired sensor input... Not sure how that would work exactly but it may be useful info for some folks out there.

1 Like

@neonturbo in terms of wiring. I only have one garage door, do i need to follow what's in the doc?

Tried just using the R1 C without wiring R1 NO but after pairing with hubitat i still see two relays??

Also the "Manual" way of setting it to garage door is "3" hence re-pairing is not needed as it's only for 4-10 :slight_smile:

I was able to install Garage Door Opener App - LGK Virtual Garage Door from package manager. So i guess in order to make use of this, i have to have a physical tilt sensor installed? Why is there "virtual" and "physical" open/close sensor in the LGK Virtual Garage? should i just set the same device which in this case my smartthings multipurpose sensor?

Thanks again for all your help!

You must connect the 2 wires going to the GDO to R1C and R1NO (one of the 2 wires to each of those slots) - you can't just connect one of the wires to one of the slots.

Even if you don't use the second relay, it still shows up in Hubitat - AFAIK, there's no way to "disable" it from appearing as a child device.

Thanks @hydro311 for answering this. I had it wired like that before. I'll revert to that original setup then. I was doing a trial that if i remove the other wire it'll not show the second relay. But to you point, not way of removing it even if i don't use it.

1 Like

I have being work for 2 days with ZEN17 universal relay. It does updae relay 1 state fast with no problems, but 70% of the time is NOT updating RLEAY2 state, it fails to update. I have to refresh the device in order to have the right state show up.
Anybody having same isue?

Another proble I found out is relay dose not showp as switches, so I can not add ani lights conected to it to my group of lights.
I have a MIMO2+ , and found out ZEN17 with more fitures, so I bought a ZEN17.
I am not conecting any motos to it and so I have selected DC MOTOR MODE Disabled, but surprice relays do NOT shows as switches and can NOT be added to grups or seans.
But relays from my old mimio2+ can.

Is there an update diver coming up for it, so I can add my relays to grups and scenes, just like can dio right now with MIMO2+?