Zooz Zen17 Input State

I know my first go 'round with a ZEN16/17 took a bit of effort as well. I seem to recall that there is a way to set some of the parameters outside of the driver interface. For example, pressing and holding the button for 5 seconds puts the unit in "Garage Door Mode." I think I ended up pairing it a handful of times (and a couple of factory resets) before I got it all set where I needed it.

Now that I'm thinking about it...here's how I remember it. Pair the device. Set the "mode." Unpair. Pair. See parent/child devices created and test them. Scratch head because its not doing what I want. Unpair. Factory reset. Pair and repeat. This went on for 3 or four iterations until I finally got the correct parent/children to appear and the behavior I wanted.

For the Zooz Zen 17, you should end up with one parent and four child devices. The child devices should be two relays and two contact sensors. A screenshot of the parent and a contact sensor child are attached below. Note that the status of the contact sensor only appears in the child device.

Parent:

and the child:

1 Like

Yes, mine looks similar to yours except that I left the child devices (the relays) as the default "Toggle switch on/off" which is sufficient for my application.

Question: your parent driver has both input triggers disabled. How does your contact sensor ever open? With no input trigger I don't see how the relay can respond?

I changed the driver to the Basic Z-Wave tool to confirm that enabling/disabling the "Input Trigger for Relay n" actually works. It does. However, setting these parameters (10 and 11) to 0, does not actually disable the input trigger. An input (S1/C or C/VC) still triggers the relay. So getting an input State report in the parent is moot since the input and relay apparently cannot be disconnected.

This could be the problem. Each time the input connected to VC/C changes, the relay will toggle regardless of whether or not the input is "on/open" or "off/closed." In this configuration it may not show the state of the input because it is irrelevant to the operation of the device (at least according to Zooz and their driver).

The contact sensor input is wired to a physical contact switch on my garage door. The state shown in HE shows the state of my garage door (open or closed). The relay state (on or off) is controlled by rules.

1 Like

On a ZEN17 they absolutely can be de-coupled. Thats how mine is set up. I recommend unpairing and a factory reset.

1 Like

As dylan.c said, they most definitely can. My Zen17 setup (which is same as dylan.c's - we both have our Z17 set up the same way for our garages) depends on that capability and it works great.

The Zen16 does not have this decoupling capability.

Again, I don't have one, just trying to assist from a technical understanding. I'd suggest that you may want to try changing parameters 2 and 3 to value 10 - dry contact, instead of the default on/off. From @dylan.c 's post, I'd expect the 4 child devices to represent the two inputs (reporting states), and the 2 relays (which both report AND can be controlled)

I've had better luck with factory resets and using the Zooz driver than I have with changing them manually using the zwave tool. YMMV.

Thanks to all for sticking with me on this. I've got something now that's workable. I changed the Input Type Relay 1 to Contact Sensor (with the resulting new Contact Sensor child device). With this setting I was able to disconnect the relay, The Contact Sensor child device records the input state (without tripping the relay) and I can use to that state to control Relay child device.

Not how I was expecting this all to work, but it does everything I need. Again thanks.

2 Likes

I was looking for the input sensor states as well. The naming of the fields in the parent device is confusing. "Input Type Relay #" Should really just be "Input Type #"
Setting these to contact sensor worked to show me the state of the sensor inputs (I think - more testing is needed)
BUT: when the relay is toggled on, it stays on - as expected, but not desired. When the Input Type is set to "Garage Door" it toggles on then back off as desired...

If Zooz has a response, please share.
~John

What do you have wired into the "S" input(s) on the Z17?

The "S" inputs are kinda hard to define - S could stand for switch in the GDO example of wire the wall switch there (in which case you'd want to enable "Input Trigger for Relay X"), or S could stand for sensor in the GDO example of using dumb reed sensors (in which case you'd disable "Input Trigger for Relay X").

I think the Garage Door input type just includes a quick auto-off for the relay, but I don't know how that really differs from the momentary switch option.

That's how I thought it worked at first as weil: Parent device reflected the inputs and Child devices, the outputs (relays). However that's not how it works at all. The Parent device is for configuration only. The initial child devices are the relays, but you won't have any input devices until you change "Input Type Relay n" to something other than "Toggle Switch On/Off". That will create two child devices (for the relays) that will reflect the input. At that point you can disable (decouple) the input triggers. I found that not all input types can be decoupled. I ended up using contact sensor which works fine.

After messing around with the garage door type, it seems that this type in particular cannot be disconnected from the input. Yes, after changing the input to dry contact type I was able to get the disconnect to work. But, now my problem is that I can't get the relay to auto turn off after a couple seconds, like I want to. I can't get the basic zwave tool to change or get any parameters. Have you been able to do this?

Use the Zen Companion tool. You switch to this "driver". Make your changes, and switch back to the Zen 17 driver. More details in the link below...

And a million thanks to @jtp10181 for this nifty Companion Driver. It is nearly impossible to set the Zen17 properly without this! :pray:

4 Likes

If you use the Zooz GDO app, you can set the auto-off there (instead of setting that parameter directly on the Z17)

3 Likes

Awesome, that appears to be working properly for setting the value, and reading that it actually did. Only, now it doesn't seem to be physically operating right. I set relay 1 auto off for "1" and units to "seconds," but after turning on the relay, it doesn't seem to be turning off automatically at all?

Once you set the device using that driver, did you change back to the original Zen driver? That configuration driver won't control anything, it is purely to change settings.

1 Like

Awesome, that worked great, and the button works awesome. Now, if there were a way to use the second input on a second contact sensor, to verify "open" all the way status, rather than by using the timer, it would be perfect!

Yeah, I figured it worked like that, from using the basic z-wave tool. Seems the door app actually solved and set the values for me. Thanks.

1 Like

I have a Zen17 on our single-door garage (so just using one of the two relays), and I use two (dumb) reed sensors wired in to S1 and S2 -- one reed sensor confirms fully-closed position and the second reed sensor confirms fully-open position.

It works really well, and being able to confirm both positions allows me to create more helpful alerts for when an opening/closing action goes pear-shaped for whatever reason... That hasn't ever happened yet (knock on wood!), but I like the peace-of-mind.

However, you can't integrate a second sensor into the GDO app, as you've noticed -- it relies on the timer. For me, that's no big deal since I don't automate routine open/closes (this whole setup is just a backup capability for us).

In addition to the GDO app tile in my "Garage" dashboard, I have a tile for each reed sensor -- those are what I really rely on to confirm door position, since they're totally agnostic to how the door was opened/closed.