Zooz Z wave motion sensor ZSE18 Killing Zwave Radio

I installed the ZSE18 a few days ago and it seam to work fine, then a day later my ZWAVE Radio crashed I rebooted nothing, had to unplug the C7 hub soft reset and got it working again, then it happened again the next day twice. I removed the ZSE18 and and did a reset the hub and its working now, I don't really know if this is going to solve the Z wave radio issue, I hope I also did a platform update around the same time.

Any suggestions.

@bcopeland, any idea what might cause this?

Not off the top of my head.. But I did notice it has an optional USB power source .. Some of these devices act as repeaters when they are included with USB power.. Is that how you were using it?

1 Like

I was looking at the manual for one of these a while back. It warns that if you pair it using the USB and then remove the cable it will spam stay awake and spam the network until the battery dies. So if you paired it with USB and then remove the cable that's a problem. If you switch from USB to Battery or Battery to USB it's important to unpair and re-pair the device.

May not be the issue, but just something I noted.

In my case I wasNot using the usb only used the battery

Maybe just as another data point, but I've had a couple of these motion detectors running on USB for a long time now.

:point_up_2: All on battery power

After I removed ZSE18 problem went away>

On the zwave details page do you have a firmware update button on the middle? Or have you already updated that?

Also did you turn on debug logging for that device to see how many reports it was sending?

Fresh battery?

How far from hub and how far from a good repeating device?

I did the firmware update. Didn't have debug on , battery was new. it was only 6 feet from repeating device, and 25 ft from the hub but through walls.

Did you pair it on usb but then switch to battery?

No sir did it independent with just Habitat find and pair.

So paired on battery only. ok. Just making sure.,

Yes ! I have removed it and sent it back was too much hassle I ordered a zigbee sensor

2 Likes

Ok case closed then I guess since you got rid of it.

Is this the one where there are actually 2 different pairing methods/button press sequences depending on USB vs Battery? That is, it's not *just a matter of if it happens to be on USB power when paired or not. I wonder if the OP inadvertently did the USB version of the pairing rather than the Battery version.

Edit:
Found it: If you inadvertently held the pairing button instead of just tapping it, it would have paired in signal repeater mode and very quickly drained the battery (or it could have been a defective unit that was just stuck pairing that way regardless):

I only know the because mine is usb powered and I had to figure out how to get it to act as a repeater because the actually instructions included with the unit and on their webpage don't include the above.

I have not used the usb connection at all, but I have had issues before with Zooz my guess it’s got to do with the security even though I did not use it with security!

Unlikely, I had mine paired with S2 for a while and eventually flipped it over to None to see if it would respond a little quicker.

Case reopened this morning the radio on z wave was down again

Had to shutdown completely and restart any ideas? The zooz is not the issue it’s not in the system! As I thought before has to be something else

Here’s some more information