Zooz Z-Wave 800 Series: Switches and Dimmers Available

Stumbled across this when I was ordering some products. Looks like Zooz has Z-Wave 800 series switches available:

4 Likes

Ooo, a sneaky update. Apparently, re-using the same model numbers for new hardware versions is confusing for them, too. :slight_smile:

Apparently that just happened this month (5/23, according to their changelog) with the "V4.0" hardware.

4 Likes

700-series chips are in short supply. But apparently not 700-series packaging :laughing:

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, they are sneaky with these things. Oh joy a new hardware version for me to keep track of. They now have 4 different firmware tracks to keep track of in my driver for just this one model (plus 5 other models). Luckily the way I built my dynamic parameter system it is working pretty well with the way they are handling the hardware changes.

I see they added a new parameter as well... just to remove the blinking when you change settings. Will be added to my drivers on the next update.

4 Likes

I'm a fan of Zooz products, but their naming convention (and others do the same thing, I'm looking at you TP-Link) is really frustrating. Mixing model numbers, hardware versions (V1.0, V2.0) and now chipset series (that map to hardware versions?) is impossible. Then figuring out which firmware versions go with which hardware revisions... I understand why they don't want to change model numbers for revisions as its expensive (packaging changes, marketing changes, etc) but geesh - there's gotta be a better way.

5 Likes

Well said. I'm waiting for Zooz to release the new Zen16, 3-relay module. which will now be 700-series. It's an improvement, but strange now that they are releasing many other 800-series devices. Their 800 series LR plug-in modules are Zen04s.

I received some Zen72 800LR switches today. They work fine on my C5. The only thing I found was that the fingerprint has not been added to the HE firmware yet. I had to manually select the zen 72 driver. I was going to grab the fingerprint but it was too long to screen capture on my phone. If I get a chance I'll grab it with the laptop tomorrow.

Check out this driver for the ZEN72 if you want access to all the settings:

1 Like

I have a "1st Gen" 800 series switch, which is apparently different from the "800 LR" versions. Now you have to really pay attention to get the proper firmware when updating.

1 Like

I'll take a look. TNX

Thanks for the tip. It exposed a couple features that proved beneficial on the 72.

1 Like

Apparently, the Zooz people are looking towards the 800 LR series sensors as a "game changer". They seem to think that without the issues of a mesh network, Zwave will become the protocol of choice. Well, I do think that LoRa will give them a boost, but I don't think that it's the game changer that they are hoping for.
Just because a motion sensor can be placed 1000 feet away from the Hub, doesn't mean that I need a motion sensor at that distance.
Sure there are specific situations where it could come in handy, but, do we really need that range all the time?
What does everyone else think?

1 Like

I think they are shifting production towards the 800 chip because that's what is available. The LR capability comes with it as far as I know. May need to be accounted for in the firmware of the device which they are implementing on everything it seems.

@a.mcdear I believe everything they have put out with 800 chip is LR compatible.

3 Likes

Actually you might be right. Awhile ago when I was updating a Zen77 dimmer, I noticed both 800 and 800 LR firmwares. The dimmer I bought definitely wasn't advertised as LR enabled (but it is an 800 series ver3 hardware). Seems that today however, I only see 800 LR firmwares and LR series switches being advertised. So, I may have done updates right as they were transitioning over to LR enabled firmware or something.

Range is one of my primary struggles. I've actually run 600' of Ethernet through a couple outdoor Poe switches to add a second c7 and boost range/reliability down at the bottom of my driveway.

I'm now looking to do this again to get ZigBee/Z-Wave to the other side of my property.

If z-wave LR is legit it would solve a few of my problems.

1 Like