Zooz Titan (ZAC36)

Thanks hydro311,
I did not realize the smartest house was Zooz's main storefront.
Always things to learn!

Jerrold

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn't know that either until relatively recently - they do sell other brands there too, but you'll notice Zooz is dominant. It's a good place to get basic info & user guides on their products and they do good sales pretty regularly. Their current Winter Sale has really good prices on a lot of their stuff right now. :+1:

2 Likes

I'm using the builti-in driver. It will probably suffice for me. But I'm uncertain as to the best settings to use. Not sure what they mean exactly, and not sure of best practices anyway. Can someone offer an explanation of the different parameter settings and what's recommended for them?

I assume freeze valve control closes the valve when the device detects freezing temperature, right? Is that an indoor temperature or does it somehow get outdoor temperature? Is it 32 degrees exactly? I've never had any issue with my pipes freezing, not that it gets down below freezing terribly often, but I'm inclined to leave that disabled, unless that sounds like a terrible idea...

I assume auto test mode opens and closes the valve on a regular basis to make sure it's functioning correctly. What time does the test happen? I don't want to shut off the water in the middle of my shower.... Seems like a good thing to do, but does testing the valve say every 2 weeks end up contributing to wear and tear of the valve, increasing the chances of a failure when i actually need it?

Maybe I'm over-thinking it. But I would consider this to be one of the more important automations considering how much damage water can do to a house...

I found somewhere that the test mode will cause the valve to close by 1/8 of a turn and then open again. I'm not sure how it reports if this test fails.

Is it just me or is open/close not a reported attribute with the stock driver? Seems like that's a pretty key attribute to have reported.

It might now show until you actually open/close it, or maybe if you hit refresh it will load it in there.

Thanks. I had attempted doing the refresh and it hadn't worked but I just tried again and it did. Thanks!

Has anyone found an extension cable for the sensor that would work with the recessed input on the Titan? I guess my shut-off valve is higher off the ground than most and the sensor just dangles ~6" off the ground.

I just looked on amazon, there are a bunch on there with slim heads or made for recessed plugs (mainly for people with thick phone cases). Just make sure it is a 4-contact tip as many are only 3 contact. Search for "3.5mm extension slim"

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3.5mm+extension+slim&crid=VFI3C0GHVN2N&sprefix=3.5mm+extension+slim%2Caps%2C124&ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Headphone-Ultra-Slim-4-Conductor-Headphones/dp/B016E5PEXC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=VFI3C0GHVN2N&keywords=3.5mm+extension+slim&qid=1646501119&sprefix=3.5mm+extension+slim%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/ARCHEER-Headphone-Extension-Compatible-Microphone/dp/B01N1VJGGE/ref=sr_1_6?crid=VFI3C0GHVN2N&keywords=3.5mm+extension+slim&qid=1646501119&sprefix=3.5mm+extension+slim%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-6

Thanks again. I got that FosPower one and will report back confirming it works (not that there is any reason that it wouldn't) for posterity in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation.

https://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Headphone-Ultra-Slim-4-Conductor-Headphones/dp/B016E5PEXC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=VFI3C0GHVN2N&keywords=3.5mm+extension+slim&qid=1646501119&sprefix=3.5mm+extension+slim%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-4

If you got just this FosPower thing I posted, that's just a slim adaptor and would need another extension cable to actually extend it, just so you know. It was the slimmest looking though and if you have other extension cables laying around that are too fat it should work.

My mistake. I actually got the last one (Archeer). Works perfectly.

1 Like

Awesome, adding a screenshot for archival purposes, in case someone else needs one and this this vanishes from Amazon.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that, I'll make sure it's added to the list of recommended accessories as well!