Zooz Fan/Light Controller!

The device obviously doesn't have two z-wave radios. That would be ridiculous. But both the relay and the light dimmer are controllable through z-wave. Otherwise it wouldn't be a smart fan and light controller.

No, you are still wrong. It has one z-wave radio that controls two devices....a dimmer and a relay. A relay cannot modify the speed of a fan. It can either supply power to the fan or not. That's it. It is a switch. So, the device has a light dimmer and a switch. Both controllable through Z-wave. But the switch is not going to be able change the speed of a fan from high to low. It will only power it on, giving you whatever speed you have chosen by the pullchain. There is not need for the Hampton Bay controller with this device. It is not a companion device to the Hampton Bay unit. It is designed to work all on its own. I think you need to read a little about fan controllers and how they work. It is a lot more complicated than you are making it out to be.

https://www.hunker.com/12003281/how-does-a-ceiling-fan-speed-control-work

You aren't listening. If you don't want the right information, that's fine. But I'm not going to let you post incorrect information to get other people confused.

This isn't going anywhere. I don't think we are understanding each other.

Understand each other?!?!? There's nothing to understand. You cannot control the speed of a fan with this device. Period. It has a relay. That's all. A relay cannot modify the speed of a fan.

As I said...if you want to turn this device into a button controller....then you could do anything you want with it. But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about what the device can do. And I said, that I think people are going to be surprised when they get it and find that it cannot control the speed of the fan. Which is 100% correct. You cannot control the speed of a fan with this device. Do you get that?

Summary -

With the zooz you can:

1. Turn fan on/off via zwave
  2. Adjust light dimmer via zwave

With the zooz you can't:

1. Adjust fan speed via zwave or locally at the switch

Capish?

7 Likes

One point of clarification...

@agnes.zooz can you disable the relay on either the light or fan side? I assume no, but thought I would ask.

Yes, you can disable physical control on both the dimmer and the relay. It will still send reports when buttons are pushed in this mode so you can create simple if... then... automations rather than using scene control which can be easier for some users (and the only choice for some of us still using platforms that don't support scene control at all). But it also can be used as a scene controller. All in all, it supports 18 triggers for scenes, 6 per button (upper paddle, lower paddle, relay button).

The reason we had to give up speed control here is because the way speed is controlled on newer fans is completely different from the traditional fans. It would take us much much longer to create a product that would support all of these configuration and I'm not sure if it could still be used for exhaust fans. I'm pretty sure the standard Lutron combo switch is only for ceiling fans. We were aiming for both the living room and the bathroom since we got an equal amount of requests for both.
We're very clear about the relay button being just on off and don't advertise speed control. If we see that the current description is not enough, we'll add more disclaimers not to cause unnecessary disappointment.

We didn't plan for it when we put the various options for LED color and brightness settings but it did come up recently so hopefully, we can make it happen :slight_smile:

We don't have any plans to release this model as a toggle switch right now but I'll keep you posted if that changes.

2 Likes

Let me be clear also....you guys have been 100% up front that it doesn't control speed. It's all over the listing. My concern isn't with your listing it's with people buying things before actually reading the listing. :slight_smile: Any further disclaimers on the listing would affect sales, which isn't fair to you guys. People have to be responsible for themselves in the end.

I had not considered the bathroom exhausts fan though, since that can be controlled by any fan-rated switch but I can understand that thinking. It will definitely fit a different market than current fan controllers. I don't know if I saw exhaust fan mentioned before. I certainly overlooked it. You might want to feature that more prominently, especially in the instructions, since it only shows a ceiling fan.

There is one thing that I REALLY like with the new dimmer and I don't understand why everyone doesn't do this with their new dimmers. And that's the function of the top paddle.

1 TAP: turn the light on to the last brightness level (or custom brightness: see Parameter 23).

So, you can modify the brightness that the light turns on to when manually turned on from the device. In other words, it doesn't automatically use the previous dimmer level that it was set to. This is the most requested feature for dimmer in a bathroom. @agnes.zooz, if I can give you one piece of advice while you are developing the driver for this device...allow changing parameter 23 via a custom command to allow this setting to be changed programmatically. That way, folks can change the setting through the day. So, during the day, turning the dimmer on would brighten to 100% and then during night mode it would brighten to 50% and during sleep mode it would brighten to 5%. Exposing the setting of that parameter via a custom command is very easy in the Hubitat architecture and has been done by several other z-wave drivers I use. Having that out of the box would really distinguish this device from the pack and would really be a big win. Would easily make it my recommended device for bathrooms.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, we'll do our best to have it implemented this way. BTW, this is a feature we added to the latest firmware for all of Zooz dimmer as you guys requested it many time here and on different forums.

1 Like

To be clear here zooz doesn't write drivers, doesn't pay to have them written nor dictate driver functionality on this platform.

Inovelli develops their own drivers. What's stopping Zooz from doing the same thing? Absolutely nothing, that's what. If they don't think that the driver developed by Hubitat fits their customers' needs, they can write their own. So, it doesn't really matter who dictates what, does it, Mike?

So, user drivers are no longer allowed? News to me.

It goes without saying that I'm referring to drivers we include with our platform releases.

3 Likes

And it should go without saying that that's not what I was referring to.

Zooz doesn't write drivers for hubitat, they never have.
Nothing's stopping them from doing so in the future, but to date they have not.

1 Like

That being said, do the HE devs have any current plans to write one for this device?

I'm sure the community would provide eventually, but if it's on your radar - that would be great news for me and other interested parties!

Yes.

3 Likes

I just installed the first of these devices and had the HE discover it without issue.

I wasn't sure if it would be helpful, but I wanted to provide the following:

Device

Label:

ID: 21

Manufacturer: 027A

Product Name:

Model Number:

deviceTypeId: 130

more...

nodeId : 21

deviceId : A008

manufacturer : 027A

deviceType : A000

inClusters : 0x5E,0x26,0x25,0x85,0x8E,0x59,0x55,0x86,0x72,0x5A,0x73,0x70,0x5B,0x60,0x9F,0x6C,0x7A

outClusters :

Just a quick follow-up to let any interested parties know that after changing the driver to "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer" and hitting Configure on the device page - this allows On/Off/Set Level functionality for the dimmer and seems to work as expected. I think we'll just need a proper driver to control/monitor the adjunct relay. Pretty good for now...

3 Likes

Thanks, I just paired mine and switched it to the Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer and it works for the dimmer for now. I'll have to wait to automate the fan based on humidity, but this is a start.

@agnes.zooz I get a noticable hum at full brightness and it doesn't dim as low as i'd like for night use, however it does dim about 50% brightness with no flickering. The bulbs (9) are some early dimmable LEDs do you think new bulbs would make a difference or a resistor like the Aeotec Bypass? Are there any LED globe bulbs you've tested that you recommend?

Thanks

1 out of 2 joined successfully, the second is stuck in initializing... Any ideas?

Am I correct that there is no driver for this yet?