Zooz Fan/Light Controller!

The Inovelli one says, "Size: should be able to be fit easily in a fan canopy." This is confusing, since it's either a switch that should be wired directly to the line and load (fan), so the only thing left for me to assume is that it requires some canopy module (like the Hampton Bay Fan Controller) and the fan half of the wall unit is just some sort of remote for that. I don't see that part mentioned anywhere else in the description.

I agree. So, if you want a fan controller in about 4 years, the Inovelli is just what you're looking for!!! :wink:

It will require an RF canopy module, yes. It's mentioned on the first post of that thread:

They've had some delays, but they are back. This should be out early next year

I thought I read most of it, but I must have missed that (I get a bit embarrassed for them every time they overcapitalize "HUB!", maybe). So I guess this is actually different from the Zooz, which from what I've seen requires separate wiring for the fan like a "normal" fan switch but happens to combine the light and fan switch (sans speed control) into a single gang. This is like a Z-Wave Hampton Bay Fan Controller module with an AC-powered remote that also happens to have a dimmer for the lights (presumably those work like a "real" dimmer, though I see they're also planning for the ability to disable local control as you can on the rest and use them for smart bulbs if desired).

Oof, got us good!

LOL alright I'll tone it down on the all caps!

In all seriousness, yeah these are two different products. The biggest request has been to solve for the issue of people not having two separate Romex wires coming from the fan to the switch. So, this switch will be two parts (switch and canopy). The switch will be Z-Wave and will communicate via RF to the module.

Anyway, thanks for the chuckle guys and @EAN, thanks for the air cover my friend!

Eric
Founder | Inovelli

1 Like

I am ohh sooo patient :slight_smile: it is after the end of December by 4 days!! :stuck_out_tongue: any ETA?

Yes! The switches are in production now and if there aren't any transit or customs delays, they'll be released on December 16th. Sorry I haven't updated this thread! I'll make sure to post the link to the product here once it's live on the website. Thanks for your patience and for the reminder @napalmcsr ! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi Everyone, the ZEN30 Double Switch has been released!

You can get it here and we're selling the first 100 units at a special price. The Hubitat driver is not ready yet and we don't have a date for when it will be completed but we'll do our best to have it published as quickly as possible!

3 Likes

Are they going to be available in toggle version? Thanks

ordered!

1 Like

Me as well. Hoping for a driver with a virtual switch that I can put notifications on the leds like the new inovelli switches.

Not being able to control fan speed remotely? A lot of folks are going to be pissed when they realize that's what they bought. Personally I think it's a big mistake on Zooz' part, IMHO.

I was thinking bathroom fan. I actually cut out for a two gang box and going back to single gang when I refinish them. I have Hampton bay ceiling fans and have found for automation, on or off is typically good enough. I set them to the same speed every night at bedtime. I suppose if I cared enough, I would buy a speed control one. If this one was speed controlled, I wouldn't be able to use it in the bathroom. My opinion is that this is more universal. We should be happy that there is finally something with two relays in one gang box.

3 Likes

What @ajones said, I live in AZ, only 1 speed is needed!

1 Like

Couldn't you use the "cycle" command in Rule Machine? I do that for my Pico buttons that operate the Hampton Bay Fan Controller...

You would have to go through L>M>H>Off, but that is an acceptable trade off for this type of combined switch.

The device only has a dimmer for the light and a relay for the fan. There is no way to control the speed with this device. There will be no Cycle command in this driver. The device doesn't work the same as the Hampton Bay....that's kind of my point.

This doesn't have two separate Z-wave controllers built in? That is what the product page implies...

I wasn't saying to use this instead of a HBFC, but rather to control the HBFC. Just wire line to load, and let Hubitat tell the fan controller what to do.

Isn't it kinda early to say that? The driver isn't even written. I thought this was just a Rule Machine command and not driver specific. It pops up even without selecting a fan device.

Why would you do that? You're going to spend $35 for a really crappy button controller?

No it isn't. The device only has a relay for the fan. It cannot control the fan speed. Do you not understand what that means?

No.... commands are defined in the drivers. If the driver doesn't support the command, the device won't do it. For example, you can't set the level of a switch, can you? No....only a dimmer. That's because a dimmer driver has the setLevel command and the switch does not.

That is incorrect. You cannot select that command for anything except fans. You cannot set the "cycle fan speed" for a switch.

No need to be combative, I asked above "does this have two separate Z-wave controllers"?

Here is a quote from their page, and installation instructions: Manual or Z-Wave control of 2 separate loads (dimmer + relay). That isn't very clear if it is in reality only A relay and A Z-wave but not both Z-wave. It either does or does not have two Z-wave. That part is not clear to me. I can simply go by the description on the Zooz page.

If it has two Z-wave in this one enclosure, it certainly should be able to do two different things in Hubitat. If it is simply a dumb switch then I get what you are saying. That would be silly to offer something like that.