Zooz Central Scene VS generic driver (UI?) weirdness on older Zooz Plus switches

Okay apologies everyone for the delay... not sure what is going on but have my suspicions...

Turns out not all my Zooz Zen23 V2 devices fail to send events when manually toggled. Only those few I messed around with drivers, changing from the stock "Zooz Central Scene" to others like the awesome "Zooz ZEN Switch Advanced". Even changing the drivers back to the original does not restore functionality..

Tried:

• exclude and re-pair on the C-7
  • pairing on a C-5
  • pairing on Home Assistant using a Nortek Stick and then a UZB-7

Still no go...

Have written to Zooz support. I suspect the issue is an undocumented parameter has been set when I changed drivers. Although I would think an exclude (which does a factory reset apparently) would correct things.

I do not think an exclude does a factory reset. Have you tried explicitly doing a factory reset using the button combo if those models have that ability?

Also, due to the fingerprint in my custom driver when you re-pair it, it might pick that driver and automatically run a configure which tries to set all the parameters to the driver defaults. You should comment out the "fingerprint" lines in my driver so that it wont auto-select that driver by default.

1 Like

Sadly the only way to do a factory reset is via an exclude at least according to the docs.

FACTORY RESET
The switch will be reset to factory
defaults only by exclusion using a ZWave controller. You may use any
certified Z-Wave controller to exclude
and reset the switch. This device may
not be reset manually when the
network’s primary controller is missing
or otherwise inoperable. NOTE: All
previously recorded activity and custom
settings will be erased from the device’s
memory

https://z-wave-assets.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/docs/478/zooz-z-wave-plus-on-off-toggle-switch-zen23-ver2-user-manual_7ed7c7ba-b111-45ef-8e7c-a9b220b5cdb9.pdf?1502833913

Yes that's a great idea thanks - will give that a shot and report back!!!

Saving that manual to my archive for reference. Hopefully my next driver version I will have the parameters handling totally re-done and setup to better handle all firmware versions based on the changelog they have posted. So the older devices will only see the couple of parameters they have available is my plan.

I commented out the fingerprint code for Zen23, removed the switch the usual way, waited a bit then for giggles cut the power to the switch for 30 seconds then paired again. Came up as the expected system "Zooz Central Scene Switch" but had the same issue...

Now suspect a hardware issue except I have 3 switches exhibiting the same behavior and at least others 2 that are working fine. Same firmware version (can't update these unfortunately), device, driver and everything. Nothing is paired with security (if that is even possible with these).

Tagging @agnes.zooz to see if she has any thoughts. I did send an email to Zooz support as this is likely not an HE issue (same problem in Home Assistant).

The physical toggle turns the light on and off it just doesn't send an event. I have like 11 of these switches and will be very very sad if I have to replace (most of) them.

1 Like

To report back 7 out of 15 v2 switches are NOT generating events for physical toggling...

:angry:

Really hoping that a driver did not cause this with a rouge parameter. Although if that can be determined it might be any easy fix vs replacing the hardware!

I know other people have also tried my driver on the older models and this is the first I have heard of this happening but other people may not have noticed.

Hmm... what if you switched both a known good one and a known bad one to that Basic ZWave Tool, do a full parameter report on both. See if there are any variances between the two? No Zooz driver should have set anything higher param #30 so I would check 1-30 primarily.

If that checks out you could also try using that same driver on the bad one and manually set all the parameters 1-30 to 0 (or whatever the good one reports them as, even if they are already reporting 0).

yeah I tried with basic Z-wave but only got 0's for everything so did not help. At this point given the number of devices it is very unlikely that I changed all the drivers and certainly would not have thought to use your advanced drivers on the V2's since the V2's are not quite as capable as V3/V4/7xx series.

A lot of these V2 switches I installed are just "smart" with no "rules" behind them so I never really tested the events fully - only the ability to turn on/off from the device page (and "rules").

Only lately when I've started adding tests for physical switching like to temporarily disable motion sensor actions etc that this became apparent..

My concern now is if they are faulty in some way it might be impacting the mesh..

If your issue is that you're looking for a different report for "physical" vs "digital" on V2 switches, then I'm fairly sure it's not possible for these older switches. The separate reports were added based on the feedback from Hubitat specifically once VER. 3.0 was released, since none of the other mainstream platforms gives an easy way to determine "physical" from "digital" reports so they don't need 2 different report types.

Are you having any other issues with these switches or have I missed something? (sorry, it's a long thread)

So at one point they were responding that way but my bigger issue is I can no longer detect manually toggling of the switch. Digital commands are fine.

Also something really bad seems to be going on with changing drivers for these devices... I just changed my working (as in detecting physical toggling) Laundry Room light switch from "Zooz Central Scene Switch" to "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" to see if "physical" vs "digital" types were still coming through. Unfortunately now my laundry room light stopped registering manual toggles like the other switches???

I tried changing the driver back (hitting save/configure etc) and now it doesn't detect physical toggles !!!! ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! now 8 out of 15 aren't working the way they are supposed to...

I have no idea what is going on here..

Sorry new developments just happened...

For giggles I shut off the power to the switches after changing the drivers back. Waited for a bit then turned the power back on.. now things are working. This is mysterious because I did this yesterday as well and it did not work. Maybe I didn't wait long enough dunno...

@agnes.zooz my device that was not originally reporting manual toggle events is now reporting AND physical/digital types are showing up as well - this device is using the "Generic Z-Wave Switch" driver.

My laundry room light seems to have started working again as well thankfully.

I will do some additional investigations to see if I can't pin down the pattern.

My new {deep} thoughts are that maybe some electrical high jinks happened recently to cause this odd behavior.. otherwise I have no explanation as it does NOT seem to be driver, mesh or hub related...

I don't as yet have a whole home surge protector that @aaiyar suggested but am working on it. Also maybe have the electrician test some wiring upstairs as well - should be all relatively new though.

As an update things are still working.. also the "Zooz Central Scene Switch" does seem to be reporting a manual "on" as "digital" rather than "physical"... the "Generic Z-Wave Plus Switch" seems to work okay like as before. I can switch drivers without causing the manual switching to stop reporting. Need to check the other switches not on the circuit and attempt the same thing.