Zooz 4-in-1 (ZSE40), C7, S0

Another vote for S2 support for the ZSE40 v2! Sure wish I'd found this thread before purchasing 4 of them... days of agonizing over poor mesh performance finally pointed to the ZSE40s. Fun fact: if you include more than 2 of these units in a network with 40+ devices your HE z-wave radio will simply quit working! Full radio reset is the only thing that brings it back.

Putting my ZSE40s in storage in the hopes that a FW update will be made available.

1 Like

Had mine paired without security and it still took down my network with a storm of repeating messages.

1 Like

I'm about at my last try with these. I have 4 of them I was using on ST and every time I get to the 3rd one set up on Huibitat all my Zwave switches stop working. I've already ordered a zwave stick to try the no security work around. While waiting for it I decided to try again adding them with the default S0. Everything had been working fine for a couple days, One added, all still working, 2 added, still working. 3rd added boom all zwave switches not responding again. I can see status changes when you turn them on and off and I can see motion activation but the switches no longer respond to commands.

Removing the 4 in 1s again. I'll try one more time once the zwave stick arrives and if they bring everything down again they go in a box and I'll order something else.

(Just removed 2 and everything starts working again with only one connected.)

(Also note it is not a bad device because I've done them in different orders each attempt.)

I swapped mine out for some Fibaro motion sensors. They do illuminance, motion, and temperature, which is really all I need. They work well, and the cats-eye blinks can be disabled (not popular in my house).

I just bought a Fibaro and like it, too! Do note that if you're trying to avoid S0, it's the only security these devices support, and as far as I can tell they (like the Zooz but unlike some others) don't have a separate pairing procedure for S0 vs. non-secure pairing. So, you'll still need the stick or some other workaround to avoid that here. But aside from the usual S0 overhead, I'm not saying it will cause the same problems you may have seen on other devices.

1 Like

I have 4 of the Fibaro motion sensors connected with S0 and it's been fine... not as chatty as the Zooz and my mesh has been very stable.

Thanks for the recommendations. I wish the Dome motion sensors were still around. I have 3 of those that just plain work.

One option I really like is the NYCE ceiling mounted motion sensor. It does motion, temp, humidity, and doesn't look offensive. It's Zigbee and super-fast. The downside is the very high price... I could only bring myself to get 2.

1 Like

Me too! They must have been discontinued, since I can't find them anywhere (except The Smartest House had a small number of refurbished ones a few weeks back that sold out). They were reasonably fast for a Z-Wave sensor (not exactly a meaningful achievement, but still notable...) and reported usable lux values, one of which I'm using to tie into rules for my mode changes (eventually going to write an app to get all my mode stuff in one place, but that's another story).

But the good news is that the Fibaro motion sensor is very similar. From pictures, I almost wondered if they were the same OEM/whitelabel device. They're not quite, but they're pretty close: around the same size in nearly identical round cases (Fibaro's is just smoother and shiner rather than intended) and with a different mount (Fibaro uses the latching C-shaped mount, whereas Dome has the magnet with the round surface you can move/adjust the sensor around on, but both allow nearly as much flexibility--and the Fibaro doesn't stick out as much this way). The Fibaro, of course, also does temperature. Its lux readings seem to be a bit higher than the Dome for me, even when pointed at the same location, and the max readings for me (bright sunlight) seem to be about twice as high, but it's equally usable. It's a bit more expensive, but I guess I'm willing to pay that now that Dome isn't an option.

tl;dr Fibaro also good. :slight_smile:

I got my zwave stick today and was able to add all 4 of them and still have everything work. First time I've been able to achieve that.

A couple additions to the instructions in this thread for adding them without S0. First the PC Controller software no longer appears to be available for separate download. You now have to download Simplicity Studio 5. Once it downloads you choose to install by technology and select zwave.

Once it installs you select "tools" and you'll find PC Controller under that.

One of the posts say to click "add" to add without S0. For me that still added with S0. Instead select NWI and wait until it fully adds in Hubitat before hitting abort to stop the NWI. This got them added with none for security.

5 Likes

Good job!! You can also use the secondary controller to update the firmware as well. I think it's a bit faster than the HE method.

Shouldn't this have been before the long paragraph?!

:wink:

No worries, I enjoyed the details. :slight_smile:

Oh, and those are by far the most creepy sensors I've ever seen...not going up anywhere in my house. :wink:

2 Likes

By "fully adds" do you mean entering and saving a name on the inclusion screen for the device, or just the dialog appearing w/the blank to put in the name, or ?

This...before or after entering the name and saving it?

I have 4. You can disable the cats-eye so it's just a white orb. That's what I did... my wife would flip if she saw it blink at her like a glowy eyball

1 Like

Leave it running until all the device parameters complete. You won't get the rename box it will just add it under the generic device name (at least it did for me). Once you see all the parameters like firmware version populate it is safe to hit the abort on the NWI and name the device in Hubitat.

1 Like

Thanks for the details!

And this was with a Z-Wave 700 stick, correct?

I used a " ZOOZ USB Z-WAVE PLUS S2 STICK ZST10"

Per @bertabcd1234's correction of my original response below - it's a 500 series as he notes. :slight_smile:

It's confusing because they still say it's "the latest," which was true in 2018-ish when they released it, but it's actually 500 series. You can verify this from its conformance doc, both just that is "Plus" and not "Plus v2" (though I can't remember if anything else is required for that...) and the Z-Wave hardware they're using, a ZM5101, which is a 500-series device.

Though I'm not sure if this matters here. :slight_smile:

Seriously! Jeez...from the description (which I clearly breezed through too quickly) it certainly sounded like 700. They got me...thanks for correcting me!

I'll update my post.