Zooz 4-in-1 (ZSE40), C7, S0

Had this fun with the zooz sensors. I used the stick to add without security. You can avoid the pausing NWI thing by disabling the security levels on the stick. Main screen of the pc controller, top right has a little shield (security test schema). Uncheck all the boxes and the stick will only include things without security.

I'm using the aeotec Gen5 500

3 Likes

A little more fun with these sensors. Two of the 4 were detecting activity every 9-11 minutes without anyone in the room. They also listed pending changes. They were indicating actual motion detection so they were at least sending to the hub.

Waking them up and hitting refresh did not help neither did repairing the device. Also tried taking the battery out as well as rebooting the hub.

What finally got those two to accept the pending changes and quit with the false detects is to hit configure on the device screen and then hit the wake up button on the sensor. That got it to sync all the settings and those 2 have been functioning correctly.

I am very happy with my Hubitat hub but I found out how the performance can become painfully slow when there is a sensor issue. I added a Zooz ZSE40 because it was on the list of compatible products. My system was sooo slow that my wife stated that we should consider a different hub. After reading the posts about the sensor, I deleted everything and did not reinstall this sensor. My system is back to the incredible home automation system that the Hubitat hub allows us to dream up.

3 Likes

I have 3 of these that I ended-up pairing with a UZB-7 without security. I also have 4 of the Monoprice branded ones that look exactly the same but are powered by 2 AAA batteries.

The battery life on both models seems good and generally speaking, my Z-Wave mesh is responsive. The two issues I still have, I wonder if they are related to this...

1. Cannot update firmware on my Inovelli switches with the new Device Firmware Updater
  2. When I send a command to my 18 Inovelli switch to change the notification LED to a certain color, it sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t.

When following the steps here to add with None security, I can't get the device to show in Hubitat. I can see it as a Notification Sensor node in PC Controller, but that's it. I've tried several times using both NWI and Add.

Any thoughts? I previously had PC Controller setup to remove ghost nodes, but that's all I've used it for.

Maybe try setting those in groups and space them out a second or two. Might be flooding the mesh with the command.

1 Like

That or use scenes (one or more) to change the notification LED. Scenes are a little tedious to set up, but once you have them they work very reliably (in my experience).

1 Like

I’m quite sure that is the issue. It looks like if there is anything else happening on Z-Wave, it doesn’t work well.

I use the Switch Dashboard app which is really awesome, but there is no setting to space out the change - might be something I should ask for...

1 Like

Oops I missed this post.

2 Likes

Just want to give my sincere thanks to the helpers in this thread. I had purchased 5 of these sensors and was at my wits end. Followed the steps here and everything paired without security (though it does still take forever to pair for some reason). Thanks again!

1 Like

I have 3 Fibaro Flood Sensors, one older FGFS-101 and 2 newer FGFS-101 ZW5. Both of the newer ones initially paired with S0. I excluded them and re-paired them using a Minimote (as described above) to get them without S0.

What settings did you end up with to get the "false motion" to stop happening? In a dark, motionless, somewhat cold (45F) room (my empty garage) I get at least 3 or 4 per day. My Zooz is connected to a C7 hub with S0 Security and was functioning okay but it stopped responding and when I woke it up the battery was reporting 1% but it has been working for hours in that condition so I'm skeptical. I tried your procedure to clear the pending changes and that worked. Thanks!

Maybe a silly question but I've been having some issues that may be hub related but I had both added the ZSE40 and have been performing 2.2.5 updates on my C7 hub. Is there an equivalent to HTOP (even if severely limited) so that I can roughly see how busy my hub is etc? It's hard to diagnose otherwise. Thanks!

I frequently have seen false triggers from motion sensors when the batteries get low. In most sensors, a battery level of 1% is beyond the grave.

Fo mine once I got the pending changes to take the false triggers stopped.

So you have 5 ZSE40s paired with absolutely no security (e.g. none of the security checkboxes checked when doing device discovery/pairing), all on a C-7 hub, and all are working as expected?

If so, how many Z-Wave nodes are in the C-7 mesh?

Reason I am asking is I just migrated all my Z-Wave and Zigbee devices from a C-4 to a C-7, but left the ZSE40s on the C-4 due to the Z-Wave issues with S0 security and the ZSE40s. If I can add the ZSE40s to the C-7 reliably, without impacting the Z-Wave mesh performance, then I would prefer that to my current setup (ZSE40s not on the C-7).

Well, I think the jury is out. Things seem to be working fine thus far, but it's only been about 20 hours and a lot of that was sleep time.

I suspect the zwave radio will poop out in a day or two. Even without S0 the underlying issue still exists. It just takes longer to manifest its self.

1 Like

I agree with @lewis.heidrick...

I have tried several times to get these ZSE40's on my C7 with and without security. Eventually they either become dysfunctional, or terribly slow.

Luckily, I have a trusty C5 that happily houses these sensors and use Hub Mesh to route the device's state to the C7.

3 Likes

My issue is that the battery was at 100% and working for 2 weeks. Then the sensor went AWOL for about 18 hours and when I realized it and woke it up it was at 1% according to the sensor but still functioning fine. There was no degradation it simply went from 100% to 1% in a short period of time. That just doesn't make sense. The false positives were independent of the battery voltage.