Zigbee Relays with Trad Physical Switches for Lighting and Other Controls

Further to this post on DIY Smart Home from Scratch, I would appreciate your feedback and recommendations on UK available Zigbee relay modules that can be used with traditional style physical switches for control of dumb and smart lights and other devices per the below use cases. We will have neutral wires available at the switch.

My ideal is set out below but I have yet to find any candidates that fit the bill for the first two use cases. For the first use case there do seem to be dimmer switches which take a monostable switch input and cycle through dimming levels 0%-100%-0% on press and hold which could be a fall back. Your input on alternative regimes that have worked for you would also be most welcome.

Smart Switched Dumb Circuit
Smart Switch: Zigbee 3.0 smart trailing edge dimmer module with 2-way (bistable) physical retractive switches. The switch directly controls current to dumb lights on the circuit as well as controlling other devices via the hub as needed. The direct control element will operate as intended even if the hub is unavailable.
Desired Logical Switch Behaviour:

• Up - If Off > On (Default Brightness Level/Scene for current Mode); If On > Next Brightness Level/Scene for current Mode
  • Down - If On > Previous Brightness Level/Scene for current Mode; If Off > Nothing
  • Up & Hold - Dim Up
  • Down & Hold - Dim Down
  • Double Up - If Off > On (Default Scene for current Mode); If On > Default Scene for current Mode
  • Double Down - If On > Off; If Off > Nothing

Smart Lighting Remote Control
Smart Remote: Zigbee 3.0 smart 2-way switch module with 2-way (bistable) physical retractive switches, wired in parallel on the circuit so it is powered by, but not controlling, the circuit. The relay controls smart bulbs and other devices via the hub.
Desired Logical Switch Behaviour:

• Up - If Off > On (Default Scene for current Mode); If On > Next Scene
  • Down - If Off > On (Last Scene); If On > Previous Scene; If Off > Nothing
  • Up & Hold - N/A
  • Down & Hold - N/A
  • Double Up - If Off > On (Default Scene for current Mode); If On > Default Scene for current Mode
  • Double Down - If On > Off; If Off > Nothing

Door Hold Open Release
Smart Switch: Zigbee 3.0 1-Way Relay Module with 1 way (monostable) physical retractive switch in series
Desired Logical Switch Behaviour: Toggle On/Off. If Off, automatically toggle On when door held fully open for X seconds via hub and door sensor

Towel Radiator Switch
Smart Switch: Zigbee 3.0 1-Way Relay Module with 1 way (monostable) physical retractive switch in series
Desired Logical Switch Behaviour: Toggle On/Off. If On, automatic timed or humidity based shut-off via hub

Water Control
Smart Switch: Zigbee 3.0 1-Way Relay Module with 1 way (monostable) physical retractive switch in series with a fail open motorised ball valve with limit switching.
Desired Logical Switch Behaviour: Toggle On/Off (Power on to close valve)

Most useful related topic i've found so far: UK Light switches – My experiences (2021)

And this one: Back on the hunt for dimmer switches after the AOne dimmers failed to meet family approval

And this: Iolloi Zigbee LED-Dimmer. Further info on Iolloi rotary dimmer here https://community.home-assistant.io/t/iolloi-wall-switch-replacement-smart-dimmer-uk-first-look/306428

1 Like

Smart Switched Dumb Circuit

So after reading around and heavy duty googling, it looks like there are no Zigbee options for my desired behaviour , though some WiFi options may be available (requires more in depth investigation).

The Zigbee options seem to be:

• Dimmer module with momentary push button. Single press toggles on/of and press and hold cycles the dimmer 0%>100%>0%. There are a fair few of these available from Samotech SM309 and SM314, SunRicher Zigbee AC Phase Cut Dimmer SR-ZG9101SAC-HP, Moes, Zemismart, iolloi etc.
  • Rotary dimmer. Single press toggles on/of. Rotary dial controls dimming. The options for this appear to be the Samotech SM323 and the Aurora AOne Dimmers mentioned in the above linked threads and other similar generic devices from iolloi, zigtiger and candeo. The consensus seems to be Samotech SM323 is better though there are reports of buzzing for both from some individuals and not others. The Samotech at £28 is around half the price of the Aurora. The generic devices appear to be around half the price again, or less of the Samotech but have a lower power range.

Do any of these no neutral switches or dimmers repeat? My Yagusmart switches don't but I wondered if any if the other options do.

I'm guessing probably not as they are only leeching power via the bulb so will want to keep idle power consumption to a minimum.

The documentation is not very clear/explicit but the Samotech SM323 for example does refer to the device as an "end device" so I'm guessing not. Those who have already installed the SM323, AOne and Iolloi can be found on the linked topics above and may be able to give you a definitive answer.

I am taking the view that I will use dedicated repeaters for stability. DIY Smart Home from Scratch has a recommendation for cost effective repeaters.

1 Like