Zigbee network offline frequently

Unfortunately we've had several reports indicating major issues following the addition of the new Inovelli Blues, including triggering Zigbee Offline. It's the main reason I avoided adding mine in my production hub, until they had a chance to correct any firmware issues on their side.

2 Likes

Blues that aren't in the 2 affected IEEE ranges are perfectly good to use -- I'm using 5 right now (on 2.08 firmware) and they are totally fine in my mesh.

I'm sensitive to checking on their behavior in my mesh because ALL the Blues were holy hell when first installed (before anyone realized there were bad switches and also bad firmware issues).

If you are trying to integrate any of the bad-batch switches now, I highly encourage you to stop -- they are bad news and even if they appear to be OK sometimes, they are huge weak points in your mesh that will cause stability issues sooner or later, and they are absolutely capable of taking down your mesh.

I have several bad-batch Blues installed and wired up, but they are not paired -- they're just acting as dumb switches/dimmers until my replacements arrive.

Well, I have another blue installed just a few feet from this one that has been working perfectly, but I'm more than willing to remove the blue from the mix here and put a dumb switch back in for testing. After all, right now I'm using the air gap switch to cut power to the lights due to this issue, so it's effectively working as a dumb switch.

But why do you even want to attempt to use the bad ones in your mesh? Doing that is all downside and zero upside.

If you remove them from HE and factory reset them, they work perfectly well as a dumb dimmer or switch (either of those modes can be "programmed" from the paddle) -- there's no need to use the air-gap as the way to on/off the load on any sort of regular basis.

1 Like

My Zigbee is continuing to stay offline now and has no Pan ID. I’m just outside of the warranty period for the hub… naturally. I’ve tried all the shutting down and letting stay off for a while, updating builds, etc. Nothing. Pretty frustrating.

@bobbyD

Have you done a soft reset or reset the zigbee radio itself?

Please open a warranty case at support.hubitat.com. We would like to further investigate.

Ugh. I've been troubleshooting these, over the last few days, and I'm leaning towards giving up and springing for the Hue lights instead, despite the $$$. I hate to spend that much, given that I don't need color, but I know they will work.
I have 6 of these lights connected, 4 on one leg coming from the junction box and 2 on another. I disconnected the leg with 2 lights, thinking that would tell me whether a bad light was on that leg or the other one. Several hours later, the zigbee network remained stable, so I thought that one of those 2 must be bad. I swapped the legs that were connected, so now only the 2 lights were powered. Hours later, zigbee is stable. Grrr... so I hook both legs back up, all 6 lights powered, and within an hour the zigbee network is offline. I've repeated that process another time, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but it definitely seems to be an issue only when all 6 lights are powered. I wonder if maybe I've just hit the limit of how many zigbee devices the hubitat can handle?

I borrowed a second hub from a friend who wasn't using it, and paired the 6 lights to it to see if they worked better there. So far, the zigbee network has stayed online for almost 2 full days. Unfortunatley, I've had two lights stop responding to commands at different times, and had to re-pair them to the hub, so even when the zigbee network is up I'm still not having the best experience with these. Unless I'm able to get these working reliably in the next day or two, I'll probably return them.

:frowning:

I have done several power-down resets and soft resets. I’m on the latest firmware build. The Zigbee is staying offline permanently at this point, with no Pan ID. It seemed to be working as expected long enough to get all my devices connected. A couple of days later, when I started to try to get a dashboard setup, things were no longer responding.

I’m going to try to open a Warranty case but this hub was purchased at the beginning of August. Thanks.

Please see the private message I sent you.

1 Like

Use Lutron switches with standard lights, you'll never be disappointed

1 Like

In this case, I think I would. There are 8 downlights in one room, and I want to control them in zones, with the ability to change those zones without having to tear into the ceiling and rewire them.

1 Like

If you're trying to control in zones (in otherwords you have 8 lights and you want to make 4 one zone, and the other 4 another) and you don't want to add additional switches and break up your physical circuits then You don't want to go this route. You would need lets say an Inovelli or Zooz switch set to smart bulb mode. 8 smart bulbs (you can get them in white only. Perhaps the Juno's) and a button controller (Such as Hue). You can get a wall adapter for the button controller and change to a 2 gang plate on the wall. Once you do that you can set one (lets say the zooz or inovelli switch) to one zone and the matching button controller to the other. When you set the switches to smartbulb mode, they keep constant power to the lights (which is what you want) and essentially turn the switch into a button controller.

Unless I'm missing something, that's exactly what I'm doing. Innovelli blue switch, with 8 zigbee downlights. I will likely add an additional controller or two later, but for now I'm just focusing on the hardwired components. I'm just having no luck with the Junos, so I'm going to switch to the hue slim downlights instead. I don't really want color, but I do want the reliability of hue. Unfortunately, hue doesn't offer a white version of the slim downlight.

Just make sure the switch itself is set for smart bulbs... If not you will have the same problems.

I've been having this same issue on and off the last few months. It has recently become worse. The zigbee network is now going offline every other day or so. I reboot brings it right back but then it falls down again some time later. I'm on the latest firmware.

Has this been determined to be a hardware fault or a known issue?

Something overloading the cpu could be shutting down zigbee (it goes down to keep the hub going in that circumstance) so I would start looking to your logs, events, and app/device stats pages to track down what could be hitting the hub hard. Even a chatty z-wave device could overload things shutting down zigbee.

The Advanced Hue Bridge Integration was using about 8% of the CPU cycles over the last 24 hours and had about 6,000 events. I removed it and went back to the native Hue integration. We'll see how it works over the next few days.

I use cocohue and it behaves well