Zigbee lever lock recommendation

My Yale zigbee lever lock has mechanically failed. I am looking for a recommendation for a replacement! I want a smart lever lock (so I can program to relock when the front door closes, something I can't do with a deadbolt). I also need it to be zigbee and NOT zwave. For this particular rental unit I can't use zwave since zwave is 900MHz and thus zwave get blown away due to a near-line-of-sight 900MHZ building to building link. I've been looking online but not finding much and there seems to be a sudden lack of Zigbee locks in the US market. Any ideas?????

Thanks!!!!!

1 Like

I do that every day with my Schlage deadbolt and a contact sensor.

Door closed 5m, lock deadbolt. I could just set it to lock the moment the contact sensor reports closed, but I give it a few minutes to allow for "Oops, I forgot something..." moments. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is there a reason you can't do that, use a contact sensor and deadbolt?

1 Like

I also do this daily with my Schlage Zigbee deadbolt and a contact sensor. I use the wonderful Auto Lock app by @lewis.heidrick.

Look here: [RELEASE] Auto Lock

Ever have one of those moments? I never considered a contact sensor and a deadbolt.

A new issue is that it seems Schlage is moving away from zigbee, I only see zwave and wifi on their site for current locks. I'll have to search and see if I can find someone with a older Schlage zigbee lock for sale!

2 Likes

If that fails, you can get a Kwikset lock with a SC1 keyway.

I did this with my Yale deadbolt. Bought the correct cylinder from Yale and a local guy who did locksmith work on the side rekeyed it for me.

1 Like

Good point, and I should probably have explained a little deeper...

You likely won't be able to pickup a Kwikset lock with an SC1 cylinder at your local home center or even your local locksmith, but you can buy a replacement SC1 cylinder that will fit the Kwikset lock.

And to expand that concept, replacement Zigbee cards are also readily available to convert a Z-Wave lock, so you should be able to expand the search parameters a bit, hopefully making an acceptable solution easier to find. (Of course, it would cost a little more, but not terribly much in the grand scheme.)

I have never seen Schlage Zigbee locks except on Amazon. I never found them on Schlage’s own website either. Years ago they announced a partnership with the Amazon Key service so deliveries could be put into your home and the Zigbee version was necessary since some of the Alexa devices are Zigbee hubs. I assume this is an exclusive partnership for the Zigbee version.

I have 2 of them and have had zero issues

I've seen them on Schlage's website. The model number for the zigbee deadbolt was BE468GBAK. But it has disappeared from their website and also from Amazon.

I also saw the same link that you posted earlier when I searched from BE468GBAK on Amazon. But the link goes to the BE469ZP (their zwave plus deadbolt).

Yeah noticed the redirect to the Zwave version so I removed link. Probably worth calling Schlage to confirm availability.

1 Like

Have you looked on eBay for a Yale replacement? Sounds like you already have the Yale zigbee module so you should be able to buy any of the Yale assure lever locks and swap out the module for your Zigbee one.

I agree with you, it seems odd that lock manufacturers are abandoning Zigbee. I think it is the Matter situation, though I really thought it would be the death of Zwave not Zigbee.

I was trying to also move away from Yale. I have experienced a 50% fail rate (sample size only 4) and looking at the online reviews this week I am not the only one. My Yale smart locks are all very, very low use BTW. Years ago (before I used home automation) I had some issues with stand alone electronic Kwikset locks, but it has been a while, maybe I need to look at them again.