Zigbee LED strip; of normal LED strip with zigbee plug?

I’m planning to put a few led strips around the house in various places, but i’m debating whether to buy zigbee led strips or normal ones and use zigbee plugs.

My thinking is i will likely not be adjusting the dimming level once i’ve used them for a while and manually tuned each to where i like it. So really i just need them to turn on and off via motion and other automations. Price difference doesn’t seem to be much; although it seems the normal led + zb plug is a bit cheaper. Also with the zb plug they will also act as repeaters strengthening the overall network so i’m leaning in that direction.

Interested in what others think and if there are other pros/cons i haven’t considered?

Not only are you "locking in" one brightness, you're locking in one color.

All of my LED strips change color, at least occasionally; even the "white" ones change color temperatures from time to time.

All other things being equal, why not leave yourself future options?

3 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t very clear. The ‘standard’ ones I'm looking at come with a remote to adjust brightness and colour. I bought one to test and use it to backlight the tv cabinet - once i found the dim level and colour/temp i liked the remote has been put away in a drawer but it’s still there if i need it.

Take a look at the Lifx strips

For TV backlight, I used GLEDOPTO RGB+CCT USB. Plugged into the USB on the back of the TV, which turns on/off within a few seconds of turning the TV on/off. That just kind of worked out for my use case once I tweaked the settings.

I only used perhaps 1m (39") of the LED strip, which was fine for me. So, no risk in overload of the USB power output.

Just came to say I think the simpler of your two options for an under-cabinet kitchen lighting project has more merit than I first thought.

Why complicate things if I just need white LED with some color temp adjustment. I agree, once the right color temp is found it's not going to be bothered with again. At least not in this old codger's environment; no disco mode, no romantic mode, no 'ooo look at those fancy cabinets' mode, just full-on "make it so these old eyes can see while wielding a knife on slippery vegetables". OK, I can see merit in being able to adjust the brightness...but I'm starting to think that really doesn't have to be run through HE if the LED controller's control is reachable.

The key would be finding the LED controller that could be set and then reinstate things as they were when being turned on/off via a Zigbee switch or outlet.

1 Like