Guides to build my own LED strips or low cost kits?

I have been wanting to add some LED strips in a few places. Mainly above/below kitchen cabinets, basement stairs and closets.

Just ordered this for the pantry, its not smart enabled, but has a self contained door sensor. I do not need to automate this light.

The kitchen and basement stairs I would like to be able to connect to the hub to automate and control however I need.

I am not afraid to buy a roll of LED in bulk, cut and connect wires, etc... if it saves me some money. Its just hard to find anything except premade kits on Amazon and I dont know where else to look for good prices and what to actually buy once on these other sites.

Also would need a controller module and supply. Zigbee or Zwave is fine. Found some decent looking controllers on Amazon but then not sure where to start as far as looking for lights to attach to them.

RGB would be fine above the cabinets, RGBWW would be ideal for under cabinets (or maybe just white CT).

LED Lighting For Everything | Super Bright LEDs is my go-to supplier for LEDs.

2 Likes

Gledopto makes zigbee controllers you can add to a hue hub or directly to hubitat. Or if you want to go the addressable LED route I would pick up a quinled dig-uno or dig-quad depending on your needs and use WLED that comes preinstalled on those units. They are wifi based but there is a community driver for them. Both of those options will require a separate power supply as well. I've never used the gledopto controllers but have read good things. I currently have 2 quinled units installed and they work flawlessly, have another one in a drawer waiting to be installed also. Side note, the quinled units are also locally controlled, no cloud whatsoever.

Edit: For LEDs I've used superlightingled.com multiple times with no issues and also BTF lighting on amazon and AliExpress.

2 Likes

Curious where you've gotten to on this project.

Just looked at the site @dsh1705 suggested above and I've already had to rethink what I thought was the way you install this stuff under kitchen cabinets. I assumed the "right way" was in channels, but I guess if you're never going to see these strips that doesn't matter.

Then when it comes to control, I really only want some ability to adjust the color temp of white to adjust to the optimal function...which I could lock in on but I'd rather have some flexibility.

Still looking for "the package" that would offer about 5 meters of cut-able strip to make up into two separately controlled (Zigbee) runs on each side of the kitchen (under cabinets) and the extra driver/control.

I made a thread about basement lighting a while back and it was about a year later when I finally did something. I always want to do new projects but then I have to pay for it, and also remember the other 10 half done projects I need to finish.

So yeah... I have not done anything yet besides some poking around.

Thanks for the reply. I can relate...and to an extent that project-itus prompted my alter ego to just post a contradictory post to the one above. I had a KISS moment and posted this:

For under cabinets, this setup will work great, especially if you set the temperature once and forget it. No channels required.

Connected the LM052 to HE as a Generic Zigbee Dimmer and controlled with Alexa for on/off and brightness. I set the temp with the remote. Easy, peasy.

I wanted to get a feel for these before I remodel a condo I just bought. They are bright enough and cover a broad temp spectrum. At some point, I'll want to control the temperature with HE since I'll be using these for overhead lighting. Haven't had time to figure that out yet...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.