Zigbee Fan controller is finally a thing again! Inovelli Blue (Now Shipping)

Rejoice everyone, a viable off the shelf solution for Zigbee fan controllers is back on the market thanks to Inovelli. It's on pre-order right now. No more hunting around eBay for the elusive Home Decorators controller that came with Hunter fans. This bad boy will work for those of us that only have one hot wire. This goes up in the fans canopy.

9 Likes

For anyone familiar, does Inovelli tend to carry an NRTL certification on their devices (typically UL or ETL)?

They do indeed - UL in fact. I can't say for certain this device has UL (I'm just not familiar with it), I'd be very surprised if not.

1 Like

Sorry I jumped the gun before getting clarification if information could be posted. The fan controller will be ETL certified. The controller can be Zigbee bound to a switch, or their upcoming Project Walt scene controller switch, which will tie in nicely with the controller.

1 Like

It also connects directly to Hubitat

FWIW these have never been that hard to get by calling the manufacturer directly to order a “replacement.”

Probably not a source forever, but it’s been a pretty reliable one for years.

1 Like

I got 3 of these yesterday. All wired up and working with Hubitat!

One bit of caution... The drivers are a mess! I had to go in and fiddle with them just to get a simple 'switch' attribute in the light driver. Made a couple other changes to get rid of the 'speed' attribute in the light driver. Plus edits to the fan driver to get 'speed' and the 'switch' attributes to work. Geesh!

The drivers really need someone to go through them and remove all the cut and paste stuff that really doesn't belong in each driver. Heck, I think I even see stuff for the light strip in the fan driver.

3 Likes

I'm unable to make it do squat. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I'm not able to configure it to do anything but turn on the light and those so dim you van bearly see them. Any ideas where to go from here?
Thanks Randall

Make sure the devices are using the correct drivers from Inovelli. Note, the drivers are now available in HPM.

From there you should be able to use the buttons within each device to control on/off/dim the light and on/off/setSpeed the fan.

As I already stated though, the drivers are a mess BUT are actively being worked on. See this post on the Inovelli forum. Jump down to the last dozen or so posts.

Got it going. I followed the instructions in Inovelli's Help section. Everything works great. The only problem I had is that the module won't fit under the canopy because the wires come out od the sides and not the ends. I had to do a little relieving to the hanger the module to fit. Getting ready to install the second one on my gazebo fan.

Here's the link to the help page that got me thru it all.

Thanks for all of the support.
Randall - Hubitat noob

Thanks for posting! My VZM36 arrived today and I just installed and paired with a C5. Working as expected!

Now that voice control and automations are working, I need to sort out wall control. I was going to use a 2-button PICO I have laying around. After looking at the driver, I see cycle-speed that I could use, but I was hoping for some kind of incremental, go up one speed, go down one speed. Am I missing something obvious, or am I going to have to get a little more creative with Rule Machine here?

I started to post in the Inovelli Community thread linked above, but thought I might start with people that think exclusively in terms of the Hubitat ecosystem before I bother Eric...

Give me a day or two. I have a working stripped down driver I'll be releasing soon. I stripped the light driver down to on/off/setLevel/toggle and the fan driver down to on/off/setSpeed/cycleSpeed. No switch bindings. Lean and mean!

I'll be adding a Breeze command to the fan soon. Might as well add upSpeed/downSpeed too. :wink:

2 Likes

I just added the Basic drivers to HPM. Just search for Inovelli to find them. Let me know what you think!

Light Functions: on/off, setLevel
Fan Functions: on/off, setSpeed, cycleSpeedUp/cycleSpeedDown and Breeze

Thanks

2 Likes

So...

I installed your driver package, changed the parent to use it, but now I'm having a little headache with the children. The lighting child is unused because I have a separate conductor feeding the light kit through a ZEN30. So, I deleted that child and re-initiallized through the parent, which re-added the device with your child driver.

The fan child though, seems to have its driver locked? Also, the button at the bottom of the child device page to remove it is grayed-out? The next thing I would think to do would be to delete the parent and re-add it. Two things are stopping me: 1. I'll have to write down all the associated automations depending on the fan child right now. 2. I'll have to drag a big ladder back in the house to get at the canopy.

I figured before I got into all of that, I'd ask if there was any other easy way to change the driver for the fan child, or to remove and re-add it from the parent without having to fetch the ladder?

Appreciate your work to make a stripped-down driver, and any thoughts you have about implementing it...

If you copy the code from my driver and paste (replace) the code in the official driver, then save. Do this for each driver (main, light, fan). Now go into each driver and hit 'config' and then 'initialize'. Do this for the canopy, light and fan. Everything should be good to go.

Hope this helps

Thanks - that worked for now. I don't think Hubitat Package Manager liked it though. I did a "repair" on your driver package and it downloaded and installed the child driver again. I wonder if I can fool it into thinking the original child driver is the one it installed and should maintain?

1 Like

BTW - I should say, "basic" is pretty good description of your driver. Reduced from 3,286 lines of code down 345... And yet, everything I need/want seems to be there. Thanks again!

1 Like

You should now be able to 'change' the driver to the one that is in HPM.