Zigbee fan controller from Homedepot $35.00

Maybe. This device is pretty well documented in the ST forum, where I started my HA journey. The controller has one of the crappiest radio/antenna combinations of any device I have ever used.

4 Likes

Back when I was with ST, the very first Hampton Bay receiver I installed, I carefully cut a notch in the canopy for the antenna wires to exit. The white T shaped antenna is for the remote. The black wire is for ZigBee. I didn’t want the antennas visible, so after much consideration, I bought a ceiling medallion, taped the antennas to the ceiling, and carved out the plastic so the medallion would fit flush to the ceiling. This is the fan I racked my brain on and learned a repeater IS required for proper fan and light operation. Without the repeater, fan and light control was about as dependable as bar talk. This particular fan could spit on the HE hub, it is that close. I was convinced range was not an issue. Once a repeater was added, fan and light operation became consistent and reliable.

Here is a photo of the fan and medallion.

Here is a photo showing how close the fan is to the HE hub.

For reference, the green LED at the bottom is the HE hub. This is the same location the ST hub was at.

1 Like

I remember that being the other way around or, I have both my controller antennas backwards. My wire antenna is inside the canopy and I have the white T's outside the canopy and screwed into the ceiling. They had a small screw hole in the T. I painted mine the ceiling color and don't notice them anymore. I thought about the medallion but they would appear out of place in our decor. I do like them though.

Other way around (wink is zigbee in this case)

2 Likes

Correction noted. Some days are better than others.

When I installed the second fan, I didn’t know about the DIP switches. I tend to dive in and read the instructions as needed. I am in the room with the second fan, turning the light on and off and after about a minute my wife yells from the other room to quit messing with the &”%@ lights! Seems the DIP switches were set the same. :grimacing:

3 Likes

@JDRoberts helped me a lot on the ST forums. Glad to see he is here.

1 Like

Not lately - at least not the last 3 years. AFAICT, he's remained on the ST platform.

2 Likes

FWIW, these zigbee controllers are still available from King of Fans for $28.

4 Likes

After many years I finally gave up on the Zigbee radio dropping with these and now use a Bond to control them.

1 Like

Maybe I’m a glutton for punishment, but I’ll try the @neonturbo antenna modification on these first …. before switching to Bond.

1 Like

I had one in Michigan that was pretty good, rarely dropped. When we moved to Florida about 6 years ago I put one in the bedroom and one in the living room. The living room one was always flaky. The bedroom, rock solid. When the bedroom dropped this spring I decided to make the switch to bond. I lost the ability to dim the lights but these controllers only dim to 20% anyway. Many have great luck as long as they have repeaters. I guess, ideally, placed above the fan but I can't do that so thought 10 repeaters in a 1000sq ft house would be enough. Hope they work for you. When the work, they work well

1 Like

My two just quit after 4 years working flawlessly. I was not able to fix this issue and
replaced them with Sonoff iFan04. Integration with HE is done via HA+HADB.
I lost a light dimming capability but so far so good.

PS. I also moved in Florida from MA 4 years ago.

1 Like

Can you get them online or do you have to talk to a human on the phone to purchase one? (My worst nightmare but apparently what some people here want. :joy:)

3 Likes

This. You have to tell them that you want a "Wink Zigbee Receiver" for a Gardiniere 52" fan.

6 Likes

Hi I am interested in this. Is this the correct vendor to contact? https://www.kingoffans.com/

Yup that’s them.

1 Like

Remember the Zigbee radio in these is weak. Put a Zigbee repeater in every room with a KOF controller.

2 Likes

Thanks for heads up. I've been using Inovelli Blue 2-1 with Zooz Zen52 double relay to control it. I'm looking to add the ability to change fan speed. Hoping to swap out the zen52 for this.

I installed 4 of these in one day and like most males, I didn’t read the directions for the remote. I am in one bedroom pressing the buttons on the remote checking out the functions, and my wife yells from the living room to stop messing with the fan lights. All 4 remote DIP switches were set the same. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes