Zigbee fan controller from Homedepot $35.00

I have 5 of the Inovelli Z-Wave fan controllers. Two of them did not behave consistently to commands. All it took was pulling the antenna outside of the metal ceiling enclosure. I would assume the same would help for this Zigbee version.

2 Likes

Same here. I have 2 fans. They are both using repeaters and stay connected 99.99% of the time.

When I added them they were the only option available (ZigBee & zwave) if you didn't have dedicated lines for both the fan and the light.

It's nice to see that you can still buy them if you need to.

I have 5 of these running in my house....love'em!

That said, I'm looking towards upgrading to the Inovelli....the wall switch is MUCH better.

1 Like

I did.

It does.

3 Likes

Also was a big improvement for @bertabcd1234 IIRC.

My KOF always stays connected. The trick for me was adding a repeater above the fan controller. I know not always possible. Tip came from @JDRoberts .

If the repeater is shut down, the fan controller immediately drops. I had to shut down the whole panel due to construction, which took out the repeater. Resetting the KOF controller is very difficult

1 Like

It is the controller on the bottom. The top one is Inovelli and 10000x better(backordered)

2 Likes

Will the Inovelli work if I only have one line/load going to the fan? IOW, no separate lines for fan and light.

Yes.

3 Likes

Thank you sir.

1 Like

Does require that you have a neutral wire but only needs one power source.

1 Like

Absolutely. I have 2 hot lines going to my fans, as I wired them prior to HA being a thing(1995). Now those secondary hots just sit there. The control box in the fan canopy acts as a relay delivering power to both fan &/or light.
The inovelli has worked excellent for me, and a huge plus are the notifications on the swich. If any door/window are opened, the switch flashes orange. So when we're in the addition, if anyone enters/opens any other window/doors we can be notified.

1 Like

I'm good on the neutral. Now to just find the product.

2 Likes

Thanks, you just cost me about $420.00 plus probably shipping.

Wow, just poking around on the Inovelli forum and there's quite a cult following going on there. Is this hardware really that good?

Yeah. The problem is supply though

2 Likes

I installed the Hampton Bay ceiling fan remotes in 5 of our 6 ceiling fans back when I was with ST.

@oldcomputerwiz is correct. You will need a ZigBee repeater near the fan. In addition to a weak ZigBee radio in the receiver, the canopy acts like a shield, plus the fan blades interrupt the ZigBee signal.
Once a ZigBee repeater was added in the room, the fan operated correctly through the app. Previously it was a crap shoot whether the fan and/or light would respond to commands from the app. The fan and light always could be controlled by the remote because that is not ZigBee.

2 Likes

Interesting, Haven't had that problem at all, though the instructions have be have the antenna outside the canopy...

My antennas are outside the canopy. The fan in the bedroom will not stay connected without a repeater. The living room fan, which is in the same room and about 15’ from the hub, still does not connect directly to the hub. It will use one of the half dozen ZigBee plugs that are installed in the front of the house.

If you don't need repeaters and the controllers work reliably, consider yourself very fortunate. Most of us have either needed the repeater in the same room or have swapped out the antenna of the controller with one that has additional gain.

2 Likes

humm...did I read an explanation for this device behavior in the forum somewhere in the past ?