Zigbee Door Lock

Hi all,

Brand new Hubitat user here.

Does anyone know if this zigbee door lock works with Hubitat? Are there limitations? Do I still need the Tuya hub? aliexpress com / item / 1005002095060674 html (remove spaces to access it)

Thanks

1 Like

Well, it says zigbee, so possibly ...

And I believe people have got zemismart zigbee curtain motors working with Hubitat .....

You can do whatever you want, but I would be cautious about trusting my home's security to a lock sold by Tuya for around $100, even if you can get it to work with Hubitat. To produce a lock with a fingerprint reader, keypad, and magnetic card reader at that price, they have to cut corners somewhere. It may well be in the mechanical quality of the lock.

In the States, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) rates locks based on quality. Level 1 is best and Level 3 is minimally acceptable (builder grade).

I use Schlage locks that are rated ANSI Grade 1. I use Z-wave, but the Schlage lock is also available in a Zigbee version.

The Kwikset Kevo and Yale Assure locks are rated ANSI Grade 2. I know they offer Zigbee versions.

Another option is to use the August lock controller that works with your existing lockset, but it uses WiFi, not Zigbee or Z-wave.

1 Like

I am using both the Yale Yrd256 (keypad only) and a Kwikset 912 (no deadbolt) w/Zigbee - they are very responsive. The physical buttons on the Kwikset seem to be preferred by my wife and daughter but I don't like the doubling up of numbers on each button as it reduces the code variations - have to use longer codes. So far this has not been an issue though. The Yale has a touchscreen which looks nice but it might degrade if in full sunlight over time - mine is in a basement stairwell which gets no direct sun and seems fine. I think they might have a push button model as well.

1 Like

Mine has been in direct sun for ~1 year. No issues so far.

Edit: I am telescoping time. It is actually more like 18 months now.

2 Likes

That is good to know! I read it somewhere on a buttons vs touchscreen for locks discussion. I think it may have been more with Yale's commercial type locks.. but still doesn't make sense either.. hmmmmmm.

They do, and it is available in both zigbee and zwave variants. I read a lot of comments in this forum of issues with zwave locks so I avoided them. I have two of the YRD216 zigbees and they have been great. I placed zigbee powered devices close to the locks so there was a convenient repeater nearby. I also use the "reliable lock" app and the virtual devices it creates. Between "reliable lock" and the repeaters the devices seem to work fine.

1 Like

Because it does not have a deadbolt and because it has only five code buttons, the Kwikset 912 is less than ideal for an exterior lock.

If you ever decide to upgrade, take a look at the Schlage Connect series of locks. They have a lighted touchscreen that helps with weatherproofing. They are available in either Z-wave or Zigbee. They are designed to replace a standard deadbolt lock. It uses a standard 10 code keypad.

My existing door had only a keylock with no deadbolt - it also has metal cladding (if I got that term correct) drilling through it would be a bit difficult. At any rate I completely agree and so our entry code is greater than the usual 4. I have found that both my wife and daughter are much more likely to open the door with the keycode then the key.

1 Like

Slightly OT, but I've poked around in the past for this and never found anything ...

Does anyone make a double-cylinder smart lock? Too easy at out house for a burglar to break a small pane of glass and reach in and unlock the door.

If your door has only high windows and is out of sight you could screw in metal slats over the window part. I actually did this for our basement entrance. Our basement is unfinished anyway and the door is hidden in a stairwell so figured it was probably a good thing to do although maybe not entirely necessary given our neighborhood is fairly safe..

Add a recessed door sensor like the Aeotec 7. Then you can detect if a lock is unlocked manually and door opened and if you have HSM and are away you can generate an alert.. or something like that.

I think one would have to weigh the risk of getting broken into by breaking a window and reaching in to unlock the door vs having to escape a fire in the middle of the night and not being able to get the door open.

When I moved into my home 22 years ago, I installed double cylinder dead-bolts. However, I understand that such locks are now prohibited in the International Residental Code of 2009 which is the basis of many state and local building codes. I converted by double cylinder locks to single cylinder.

If the house catches fire, there is a significant risk that the inhabitants will die before they are able to find the key and unlock the door to escape the smoke and flames. Thus, before installing them, check to see if they are legal where you live. Even if they are not prohibited, you might want to weigh the risks of burglary vs fire. You can install a glass break detector on the door and motion sensors to alert you in the even of a break in. Possessions can be replaced; a life cannot.

Another issue is if police, fire or rescue squad members need access to your home in an emergency. If you have double cylinder locks, they will have to break down the door rather than just breaking the glass. Repairs in such as situation can be costly.

2 Likes

Personally, I'd avoid the Schlage in Z-wave variety, they have awful range and signal strength. I switched to Yale and had similar zZ-wave woes.

After changing the radio to be zigbee, all is good now.

1 Like

Actually, the simply solution if you are worried about finding the key in an emergency, is to just leave in the door when you are home. At the point, you have a traditional, single-cylinder lock. I have double-cylinder locks because I want to guard against daytime burglary, not roving gangs of kidnappers.

And how is the police/fire breaking down a door with a double-cylinder locks any different than what they would have to do on many (probably most) doors, which don't have glass panes near the lock anyway.

If's funny when the fire department comes to our neighborhood meetings, they warn against double cylinder locks, when the police come, they tell us that they good burglary deterrents for vulnerable doors. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I always kept a key in doors that had double cylinder locks, essentially making it a single cylinder lock. However, I often forget to remove the key when I left home as I might forget to put it back in when I got home.

The difference in commentary from the Fire and Police representatives is exactly the risk comparison that every needs to make. I live in an area where home robberies tend to be uncommon. I know that is not the case for everyone.

My wife and I are both retired, so there are only a few hours a week when the house is unoccupied.

In NYC it’s illegal to put double-cylinder locks on exterior doors, so that solves that debate here. I have never considered the NYPD to be a particularly timid police force, so I suspect FDNY had a more compelling argument.

FWIW, I think a double-cylinder lock is a much bigger threat to quickly exiting during a fire or other emergency than it would be as an effective deterrent to a successful break-in.

Keeping a key in the lock could help I suppose, or it could end up confusing someone that’s panicking during an emergency, or can’t see well due to smoke conditions, or is disoriented due to carbon monoxide exposure, or the key could break in the lock...

2 Likes

I totally agree. There are plenty of ways to enter that don't entail breaking glass on the door and turning a door knob. Faster to kick the door open.

1 Like

Sorry, but that solves it just for NY. The whole rest of the world still can use double cylinders. I think in Europe they don't even sell single cylinder locks, and double cylinder is pretty much everywhere. For fire department, breaking into house with single or double cylinder doesn't make any difference. I happen to look for zigbee lock as well, cylinders doesn't matter, but what I look for is knob (so no-one can just randomly try to open it when it's unlocked) with fingerprint from outside and handle/lever from inside, which doesn't seem to be possible to find.