ZigBee device dropped how to restore

I have a ZigBee device that dropped from the network after a recent update.

Normally I would just delete the device and re-add but I have a bunch of rules that tie to this device. I don't want to redo all the rules.

I was wondering if there is any way to restore the connection without having to start over.

No this is not a repeater issue ( I have 7 spread around the home).

Thanks in advance

Just reset and re-pair it without deleting the Hubitat device. It will re-pair with the original device-id, and your automations will not break.

Btw, how many devices do you have for 7 “repeaters”. Also what brands and models for both?

2 Likes

What device?

Reset and re-join the device, it will join w/the same name/ID and your automations will remain intact.

Oops got distracted while typing and that damn @aaiyar jumped me in line! :wink:

3 Likes

2 Ikea tradfri repeaters

A couple of Jasco ZigBee switches

And 5 Sonoff s31 lite

This is a door contact sensor. An iris v2

Iris devices are usually rock-solid, surprising one would drop off. I've only used Iris motion sensors and leak detectors, but I've never had one fall off my mesh w/ST or w/HE. Is it far removed from your other devices?

3 Likes

30 feet away from hub

I assume no recent changes to your Wi-Fi setup like adding a new access point or making changes to your Wi-Fi channels, etc.?

1 Like

How far from the repeaters? And how many total zigbee devices do you have?

1 Like

Most WiFi routers have the capability to hop around to find the "best" channel so thats a possibility that's worth checking out even if not the cause:

Agree with the others - you don't need to delete your device - that's only true for Z-Wave and even then there are ways to handle it by carefully playing around with the DNI..

2 Likes

Ive got it set to a manual channel on the 2.4. lower bands and the ZigBee to channel 20.

It seems to work well.

Since I'm new at this, when you guys say reset and rejoin the device, is that equivalent to just taking out the battery and reinstalling?

No, it means factory resetting the device. Then put it in zigbee pairing mode as well as the Hubitat in zigbee pairing mode.

The device will rejoin with its pre-existing device name and id.

However, your post made me think of something else - when is the last time you changed the battery? Iris v2 sensors are very stable on Hubitat, unless the battery is very low.

2 Likes

No issues with battery 87 percent last registered. I did as instructed and the device is now working again

Thank all!

3 Likes

Could this process be followed for Z-wave devices dropping from network as well or only works with ZigBee?

The process isn't the same. However, if you have a C-7 Hubitat and a device has failed (hit Repair a few times until it says Failed - you may have to unpower the device), you can replace a Failed device with itself. Assuming that the Failed device has just fallen off the mesh and is not genuinely defective.

Here's how you do a Z-wave Replace:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave_Manual#Replace_a_failed_Z-Wave_node

3 Likes

If you're on 2.3.1 or later (on any hub model), you can also just pair the Z-Wave device as a new device, then use the new Settings > Swap Apps Device feature to replace the device with the other, hub-wide, effectively creating the same result without needing to deal with the sometimes-picky Z-Wave Replace feature. I'm not sure either will work if the device also has child devices, but for most devices, either should.

Note that in either case, you'll need to have the device excluded and/or reset so that it's ready to be included again. You can't use this hub to exclude the device (otherwise, it will also remove it from your device list), but you could use another controller or reset the device, which with most, will also "erase" any memory of inclusion it has.

3 Likes

I'm not sure if it's related to the recent Z-Wave FW update, but the last couple of times I've used the Replace feature, it worked like a charm.

Not much data to go on w/just two tries, but thinking maybe it isn't flaky like it used to be...

3 Likes