ZCOMBO Not Logging CO Testing

I will try and get a custom driver to test by the end of the week. Stay tuned on this thread.
My family is going to love it when I start testing it :roll_eyes:

Earmuffs for all!
My cat hates it, but she can go outside.
Or, tiny cat earmuffs? :slight_smile:

Pressing the Test button gave the 3 long beeps for smoke testing and 3 short beeps for CO₂ testing.

Debug Logs

Device events

3? Shpuld be 4.

Short memory between test and keyboard.

1 Like

Good news, mine is same model and firmware, device is dated 2020.

I think its all working except the parameter. Mine is sending double alerts but I also am getting parameter one reporting a size of 2, value 1500. It will not take the value of 0.

Default wake interval seems to be 4200 (1.16 hours), or the system driver set it to that. Not sure if that would be desired to get battery reports that often or should I set it to 43200 (12 hours) like most other battery devices? Possibly the system driver has a typo and set it to 4200 when I paired it.

I think I found the problem, we have the ZCombo-G: Z-Wave JS Config DB Browser
These parameters match up with what I am seeing on the device. They must have just taken the manual from the original ZCombo, used it for the -G and not updated the parameters section.

Update: This thing is very finicky but I think I got it figured out. If you try to talk to it too fast it just ignores you. Had to add in some 500ms delays to get it to receive messages from the hub consistently.

Oh also, it does not want to take any changes to the wake interval, guess it is stuck at 4200. Possibly by design or a bug in the firmware.

Maybe some kind of Watchdog thing, like the Ecolink siren talks about in its manual?

So after all that... looks like the device just flat out does not send anything to the hub during the CO test. It only sends the Smoke test event.... :roll_eyes:

Now I have a perfectly working probably useless driver, since it seems the system driver works the same?

1 Like

As I said earlier, even to this untrained eye, it looked like no CO test message was sent.

It'll be fine, don't worry about it.
Don't forget my CO Bag Test, lol:

1 Like

Yeah I did not decode the messages you posted to see what was what, I just jumped in expecting the system driver to be inadequate and a proper driver would fix it.

I did do one more test, I have mine paired with S2 security and the device actually has a nice retry feature built in if the hub does not respond back to the supervised events. After sending an event it waits 1.5s and if it does not get a supervision confirmation it retries one more time. I found that if you reply too quickly in the driver the device does not seem to register it, so I added a 500ms delay which works great. As soon as it gets the confirmation it sends the next event.

So... I tested the system driver and it is either responding too quick or not responding at all. I can easily tell because every event is repeated multiple times and there is a delay between events.

So I guess my driver may have some usefulness afterall. I will try and get it posted in the next couple of days.

I am just now getting System Hardware Failure Reported on all three of my supplemental detectors in the apartment building.

Is there a fix to this? I'm just using the dashboard and discovered the alarm when it beeped three times in front of me and checked the logs.

Thanks!

I found that it does that if it does not get the correct responses back from the supervision packets.
I think I have it working correctly in my driver, are you using this driver? [DRIVER] Z-Wave Universal Smoke/CO Detector (ZCombo)

Are thy paired with S2?

1 Like

I have not tried that driver but just found out about your work today. I will give it a shot.
Two of the detectors were paired with no security. One that I was having problems pairing was finally included using S2.

Thanks

Ok I think what you want to do, after switching to my driver, Press the configure command button, then pull the batteries for about 5 seconds and re-insert (which does a wakeup). That should make sure the settings are setup correctly that the driver is expecting.

The problem I found was that a typical driver will reply instantly to a supervision packet basically saying yup I got it. For some reason this ZCombo does not get it when sent that fast and goes into a failed state. I ended up adding a 500ms delay to the supervision reply and for me that was working every time.

So hopefully that will fix the issue and prevent them from getting the system failure alert.

2 Likes

I will try to give that a shot soon. I gotta get out of here for the day! I appreciate your help!

Interesting...

1 Like

Well, I removed the combo alarms and factory reset them. Then I included them with no security. It was amazingly difficult to get them to bind. I guess my network is pretty busy with all the 30 something S0 doors. I tried the z-wave smart start tools and that was a joke. Anyway, after several attempts they were registering.

I then installed your code and then went through the configure procedure. Once the device woke up, the code changed superWait and wakeup interval.

Everything seems to be running smoothly now.

Thanks for the code. I will try to get you some soda money on the paypal.

I copied your awesome bag device for testing. Bravo!

1 Like

Remember, it didn't work with a car, I had to use a lawn tractor, lol.

1 Like

Yep, catalytic converters work too well. I use a 2 stroke weed eater if I need to gas something! :slight_smile: One of those new vape smoke things works great for smoke testing too. :slight_smile:

1 Like