ZAC36 Firmware update Issue on C-8 Hub

Did you intend to post a question? Looks like that didn't make it through, just the link to the other post -- letting you know in case you did!

1 Like

Yes. I have the C-8 Hubitat hub and the Zooz ZAC36 Valve Actuator installed with (8) ZOOZ leak sensors. All is working fine. I purchased the ZOOZ Backup Battery (ZAC92) to add to the valve but am having some concerns. I was told before I could add the battery backup I would have to install the latest firmware version (1.21) in order for the backup to send battery levels and work correctly. (Current firmware version is 1.13). I downloaded the latest OTA firmware version from How to Perform an OTA Firmware Update on Zooz Devices - Zooz Support Center and used the "Device Firmware Updater" to upload the new firmware to the ZOOZ valve. The update was successful but does not show up in the device menu. I power cycled the device after the update. What am I doing wrong? I would appreciate any help that you can offer! I am including the emailed instructions that I received from The Smartest House support:

I checked with my technicians, and you would be able to add the battery backup without exclusion and reinclusion, and I'm including the process below for you.

1. You'll want to ensure your ZAC36 is running the latest firmware (1.21).

2. Once you've confirmed the device is running 1.21, you'll want to install and assign the custom driver for the ZAC36. I've included our detailed instructions below: How to Access Advanced Settings for My ZAC36 Valve Actuator on Hubitat - Zooz Support Center

3. With the device running 1.21 and the custom driver installed, you can then install the backup battery and will not need to exclude or re-include the device to have the backup battery recognized properly for the device.emphasized text

So... thats a lot of words, I think your only concern/question is that you are trying to get the ZAC36 firmware updated? Sounds like you think it updated but it is not showing 1.21 on the device page?

Did you install the Advanced driver, which is actually this driver (by me): [DRIVER] Zooz ZAC36 Titan Water Valve Actuator

Once that is on there and selected for the device, if you run a configure it will query and update the firmware version shown at the bottom of the device page. You can turn on debug logging to very and see the response from the device (in the logs).

I will also be working on a couple of fixes for this driver this weekend hopefully. Mainly, Zooz let me know they missed some battery pack related settings in the docs which I will add. It still works without them you just cannot adjust the battery reporting settings.

2 Likes

Maybe I should wait until you fix the driver issues before I try to update.

i noticed that most devices dont show the updated firmware info till the device or hub is rebooted.

There's no reason to wait - the update works fine with the current driver. I updated both of mine recently to 1.21 with no issues (one uses the battery backup, the other doesn't).

The only actual bug is that if you have the valve closed and issue a refresh the state will incorrectly change to "open". This is caused by a strange response from the device when issuing the refresh request. This happens probably on every firmware not just the new version. Everything else is enhancements. Can now see the battery status.

I think I am done with it, should be pushing it out soon.

Preview:

1 Like

I did update the firmware to 1.21 and installed the driver for the valve actuator. I added the backup battery ZAC92 and it seems to be working fine. I do have some questions: What should the "Logging Level" and "Logging Level Time" be set to in my Titan ZAC36 Valve device settings list? The "Current States": Battery:is currently 45 and I realize it is charging, but my Current States doesn't show "battStatus" as you pictured. Also why is past logs showing this: [2024-02-27 08:36:41.021 PMwarnZooz ZAC36 Ball Valve Controller: Debug and Trace logging disabled].
Thanks!

The log level can be whatever you want. Debug and Trace will use the time you set and then turn themselves off. Info or below will always stay on. If you are troubleshooting things I would recommend Info or Debug, otherwise Warn is fine and will prevent clutter from your logs. Some people like to have everything on Info though so they can see a full history looking at the logs, it is up to you.

The battStatus is new in the driver I am working on and have not published yet. Working on a small issue with Zooz right now where it shows "discharging" all the time once the battery is full. I think they are going to have one more firmware update to fix that. I should be publishing the new driver as soon as we confirm it works correctly with an updated firmware (Zooz is testing it themselves right now).

That log line you will see when the timer runs out for debug logging and it turns itself off.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick responses and all the information you have provided. It was very helpful and much appreciated! I look forward to the firmware update and the new driver that you are working on. Have a good day!

Ron