Z-wave seems to be completely dead this morning

Personally, I wouldn’t. Unless perhaps this issue becomes more persistent?

1 Like

well, twice in 3 days doesn't sound like very rare to me :slight_smile:

I agree that 2 in 3 days is the opposite of rare :wink: Please send me a private message so we check the engineering logs (assuming your hub is connected to the cloud) to see if you are dealing with some other issue that is not related to the backup failure.

You could always create a warranty case by visiting below page for incidents such as this, that are covered by the warranty:

Got your message and checked your hub. The good news is that you didn't have any backups fail. The even better news is that Z-Wave radio isn't crashing. The not-so-good news is that something else causes the Z-Wave devices to appear to be unresponsive. I would screen your Logs for any errors and warnings.

Just as an aside, these Z-wave meshes are very delicate (zigbee's got its own issues, lol).

Yesterday, for whatever reason, a Z-wave switch in the basement dropped off the mesh. Other switches in the basement as well as some upstairs were affected. I have no idea how it was routing. Nothing short of bringing it upstairs to would get things going right again.

So, there's that, lol.

Hmmm. Mine was off as well this AM. Reboot fixed the issue.
This is about the 3rd time this has happened in 1 year which has not been enough for me to raise as an issue. Very odd though. Don't ever recall this ever happening on my C7 nor do I know if these 3 events started after I subscribed to Cloud Backups.

definitely never happened on c7... I migrated to c8 this sunday and it happened twice. I moved my subscription from c7 though, so not sure if there's a link there.

There wouldn't be. That actually doesn't have anything physically to do with your hub. It's simply your mac and uid are in their database. Nothing within that resides on your hub.

13 posts were split to a new topic: Cloud backup failure causes Z-Wave radio to go offline

Start by posting a screenshot of your Z-wave Details page. Maybe there will be a clue there.

Also, what do you have for power reporting devices on Z-wave? How did you set any power reporting devices? That is another easy way to overwhelm the Z-wave mesh.

1 Like

This has also happened to me now 3 times in last 6 or so months I have been on C8. Before that I was on C4 and never encountered such issues. I have cloud backups enabled
@bobbyD can you help take a look as well. Let me know what info is needed. I will PM you as well

Happened just now again. Reboot didn't work, but power off / on did. Nothing meaningful in the logs.

Resist the initial urge to roll your eyes, but are you using a POE adapter? There are posts about weird issues with zwave+c8 and starting to see some chatter about POE. If so, try the factory plug and see if it can go a while without happening...

1 Like

nope, usb connected to the power strip.

The only chatter I’ve seen has to do with the C8, z-wave and Unifi PoE switches. It’s an unexplained issue, but so far has only been reported with that specific combination of devices.

Or were you referring to other chatter?

And it happened overnight again. Now I definitely can confirm that the remedy is to pull the plug on hubitat and then power it on.
But also I suspect "the outside interference in our elections" :slight_smile:
The case is that in 3 out of 4 occurrences (I am not sure about the 4th - don't remember) there was a Zooz 800 Z-Wave stick on the network, and very VERY close to the hub. I am wondering if there might be some connection there. I will keep it offline for the next several days and see if the same thing repeats.
Any thoughts?

1 Like

You don't by chance have any zooz 4-in-1 sensors do you? Or zooz zen 25's?

had to google both - no, I don't. Why?

They can cause crashes with the c7/c8. The 4-in-1's need to be paired without security as their implementation of s0 is overly chatty (s0 is chatty but that device is horrible) and the zen-25's flood everything with their power reporting.

...but not connected as secondary controller on the Hubitat, right, just in the vicinity of the hub?