Z-wave replace

Is there the facility of z-wave replace in HE? I had a device fail and so far iv had to force remove this but i'm not sure if this is the best idea?

3 Likes

Put the hub in discovery and go through the repairing steps again without removing the device. Wait a couple minutes then do a zwave repair.

what repairing steps? I've added the new device so i now have both the old no longer working and the new one.

Then check the old one's device page at the bottom for "In use By". go into each of those and change it from old to new. After that go back to the device page for the old, verify it is not is use by anything and then remove device.

It would be a great help if there was. I've had to replace a few devices and it's a real pain if it's used by a lot of rules etc. To be able to add your new device and then say replace all references to device X with device Y. would be wonderful. I guess these sorts of user friendly aids may have to wait while the main development is still very active though.

ZWave supports a replace. Allows you to replace a defective device. "defective" is quite broad :slight_smile: Could just be a "new" device that's been reset.

The feature is not exposed in Hubitat. It's theoretically possible that it's been coded but that nothing uses it. Inovelli worked with Hubitat to code up the Association feature, for example.

It is, of course, available via the Third Party Tools.

You would leave Hubitat untouched. Then using the Third Party Tool, initiate the replace. The "new" device has to be ready to be Included, therefore a factory reset would be completed first. Make sure you don't Exclude it, because that would remove it from Hubitat, and you don't want that. You're trying to simulate where you have bought a new identical device to replaced a dead/fried/bricked device.

You initiate the Third Party Replace and then on the "new" device, start it pairing. The repair cycle will reuse the old Node Number and thus the "new device" just appears to "wake up" on Hubitat.

1 Like

I know the long way, but on ST they used the replace facility which would mean you don't need to do this.

exactly

any recommendations?

Windows : then try Zensys Tools

Linix/rPI : then try OZWCP.

Where can I download/purchase this? Any good tutorials on using this software?

How’s your German?

https://www.symcon.de/forum/threads/21938-Zensys-Z-Wave-Tool

You can alsovisit the Aeon support site and pickup an update of something. They are all Zensys Tools with an update option included.

What about Zigbee I had a lamp fail yesterday and got a new one delivered today but you have to force remove the device, just like the z-wave. Does any of this cause a issue to the stick's @bobbyD

I forced remove Zigbee quite often and didn't have much of an issue. Z-Wave..... I wish there is a replace option like your request. It's painful.

I very much second this. If I want to swap a piece of hardware in the system and that hardware is present in many rules, scenes, etc. (a dimmer for example) I have to re-add/re-build when I swap the hardware every time. That makes for many slow steps and mistakes. A replace function would be amazing.

1 Like

Personally, I understand the desire for this (and other) ZWave features BUT....

So few of us know of this feature. Most people will just remove/exclude and then add/include. It's not ideal but given the In Use By field, it's quite easy to move a new device into the position held by another device. I'm sure we have all learned, and used, that method as we expand our systems.

I don't know if it would consume the same resource to get Replace added to ZWave vs some other Feature, maybe Lifx integration.... but for me, I have a tool (OZWCP & ZenSys Tools) to perform the replace. I have to imagine the same series of tradeoffs were made when HASS decided to "encourage" OZWCP in their offering. (As far as I can read, it's an add on app.)

1 Like

I think a more radio agnostic replace functionality would be more desirable to me. Just get your device talking and swap out the new with the old.

This gets complicated with varying capabilities though...

1 Like

How often are really swapping devices with another though? I have over 100 devices and generally once I setup the devices unless there is an issue I do not need to exclude/re-pair them. I agree it would save time with automation/rules, but I find its rare that I need to actually swap a device.

I am not a Zigbee guy. Yet I've never read about a similar protocol native replace feature. ZWave certainly has one. Zigbee.. never even seen reference to a tool set similar to OZWCP and Zensys.

I tend to mess around with it this time of year.
Holiday decorations cause swapping things around.

I just meant at the Hubitat level.
Let it swap your device out wherever it's referenced.

1 Like

This could probably be implemented using a virtual device as a place holder, You could also just use virtual devices for everything or at least devices with many automation/rules, although this would add a ton of unnecessary devices.