Z-Wave Polling -- how do I turn on in the Rule Machine?

Continuing the discussion from New Hub Release 2.0:

I'm poking around in the Rule Machine and can't see how to do this. I see that I can poll individual dimmers but not the list that I've established in the Z-Wave Poller.

You select dimmers either in RM or in Z-Wave Poller. Don't select the same ones in both places. The ones in Z-Wave Poller all polled all of the time. By using RM, you can select when and for how long they are polled.

So my assumption from the release notes is that there was a Rule that could start or stop the Z-Wave Poller, and the Z-Wave Poller would poll the Z-Wave devices configured within it.

I think I get what you're saying -- but just to be precise, if I want rule-based polling I should NOT use the Z-Wave Poller and instead add the polled dimmers in Rule Manager. Is that correct?

BTW, 2.0x is a nice upgrade. Thanks for all your work. :slight_smile:

Z-Wave Poller must be installed to get any polling. But you don't have to select the devices there. Rule Machine can select devices and conditions for starting or stopping polling. It passes the list of devices to Z-Wave Poller to run the polling (this prevents Rule Machine itself from running every second). You won't see this in the UI for Z-Wave Poller, but if you have logging enabled in Z-Wave Poller, you will see the polling in the logs.

Z-Wave poller is the polling manager, that limits polling events to once per second, and goes through the list of devices to be polled over and over. RM adds or removes devices from that list.

I think I get it -- so hypothetically, Let's say I have 5 dimmers configured in the Z-Wave Poller and one dimmer in a rule in the Rule Manager. Z-Wave Poller is turned off. When I enable the rule to start the Z-Wave Polling, I'm polling 6 devices or 1?

The two are independent of each other with respect to starting and stopping. So the answer to your question is that you would only be polling 1 device. First screenshot is both RM polling and Z-Wave Poller devices polling at same time.

Notice the two different Stop polling buttons. They should be self explanatory. Or this screenshot (only RM devices being poller):

Or finally this one (no polling is happening):

Okay! That makes sense. I'll futz with it and will let you know if I have more questions. I appreciate all your help!

Hi Can you confirm on how this communication happens to z-wave poller (to enable or disable devices)?

What happens to existing settings during and after making these communication calls?

thx

This is being communicated via location events. Z-Wave Poller maintains a list of devices to poll, and devices selected in RM get added to or removed from that list. The list just gets longer or shorter.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.