Z-Wave network stops Zigbee keeps working

As you remove devices make sure they remove cleanly from settings, zwave details. This is different than the Devices page. If you end up with devices in the zwave details page with nothing in the clusters column besides the first it will cause problems with the zwave radio and cause it to lock up.

I'm back :slight_smile:
Removed most of the zwave devices and started to test it from scratch.
with one device still got the zwave issue.
So I had time to play with hubitat and noticed that it is sensitive for touch and small movements.
I taped my external USB and haven't touched the hub and USB stick for days and it looked stable but still got the error.

As a next step straightened the USB cable and taped the whole cable and usb stick (don't have a pic :frowning: ). This case it was stable for days.
Ordered a new OTG cable and voila no error anymore and the zwave network is stable than never before.
Finally I could order some new Zwave devices :slight_smile:

Thx for help and hope my solution helps others

4 Likes

Cabling issues can be difficult to track down. Glad you found a fix.

I got a new C-7 hub recently and started using it several days ago. Yesterday all z-wave devices stopped working. I checked the "z-wave details" under Settings and got an Error 500. I shutdown/reboot the hub multiple times, did a soft reset, but the problem is still there. I also cannot add any new z-wave device.

Zigbee devices are working fine.

Any suggestion?

Have you tried shutting down the hub AND then power it down by removing power at outlet end. (Keep away from the hub socket as these can be fragile).
Wait for 1 minute after power down and then power up hub.
This will ensure your z-wave radio has rebooted from scratch.
May or may not work but people have tried this on the past with some success.

1 Like

Yes, I did that multiple times. But it doesn't help. I am curious how come soft reset doesn't solve the problem. After soft reset, no device is added to the hub.

Soft reset doesn't reset the radio. Only way to is to pull power.

3 Likes

Understood. I just shutdown the hub and unplugged the power for 1 hour. I still observe the same problem.

I unplugged the hub for 8 hours but it doesn't help.

Hi Steve, I have experienced the exact issue. Hubitat sent me a replacement. Resolution for me only came when I added and then removed and then added again various sensors and switches. (Z-Wave)
Finally I removed (and binned) 3 light switches (Zipato/Philio) and another brand and my system has behaved perfectly since. I am using both z-wave and Zigbee. It took many weeks of adding and removing and my best guest was to remove the device that last reported in the logs (I assume you have all logging turned on)
Each time it failed I had to shut it down, unplug, replug the Hubitat and remove a device.
Happy New Year.
Tom

1 Like

It's almost always caused by a device on your mesh. First suspects should be things that are really chatty like power reporting. Then look for known issues such as S0 devices flooding the mesh like zooz 4-1. Check settings, zwave details and look for any devices with nothing in the clusters. If there are then you will need to remove them. @danabw wrote a great guide for doing this.

1 Like

If needed...

Ghost Removal - Who you gonna call?!

3 Likes

Thanks Tom, Lewis, and Danabw. That's really great information. Now I am wondering how I can get my C-7 hub unlocked? Is getting a replacement the only option? I already did a soft reset but I can't add any z-wave device. Is full reset available? I check the document but it's empty:

BTW. I am migrating from SmartThings hub. I didn't have any problem with my z-wave devices before. So this problem is caused by the hardware difference between Hubitat and SmartThings?

Happy New Year!

Try excluding the device from the hub ev n if it's not in the list, then factory reset the device. Now try pairing it back as a test. You should be able to do that now assuming you have a green light on the hub.

Unpair the rest of your Devices and reset them. Once you get done with that start pairing them back assuming no ghosts show up, in which case you would need @danabw guide or know which device the failed cluster belongs to and then remove power from it. You could also put the hub on a ups and flip the breakers. Once power is removed go into settings, zwave details and run an individual repair. After no more than two tries it should go to failed and then you can click remove to get rid of it.

Now start adding back your devices. Avoid adding battery powered devices, locks, light bulbs or garage door controllers until last. When you add in a device after you get the driver selected and configured, click the configure button on the device page if there is one.

When you add the devices back start closest to the hub and work your way out in a spiral from the hub. After the first 10 devices are added give the mesh a day to settle in. Next day add 10 more and so on.

If you run into issues make sure to address them as you find them. Going back after the fact to figure it out is much harder as you've seen. If you need more help, post screenshots of the settings, zwave details page and we'll give a hand. Check your logs for busy messages, if you see those you will need to do a safe shutdown and pull power. Give it 60 seconds and then it should be good again. I see the radio lockups sometimes when pairing a lot of devices at once.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the detail instruction. Much appreciated.

I tried to exclude my z-wave devices from C-7 hub, but it didn't work. I had to bring up the smartthing hub to exclude all the z-wave devices. Then I soft reset the C-7 hub, powered it off and unplugged the power. Powered on the C-7 hub and initialized it. Green light is on. But I couldn't add any z-wave device. Clicked on "Z-Wave Details" and got an "Error 500 A Server error has occurred" message. Zigbee Details works fine.

If you go to settings and check for updates does that execute? It's possible that the zwave radio has failed. Which build is this on 2.2.4.158? If you open up settings, backup and restore, do you have the option to restore a previous build?

1 Like

Yes, Check for updates works.

is this available?

Yes, it's available. I am loading the old version now.
I restore to 2.2.3.148. But it doesn't help.

1 Like

I reboot/unplug the power several times. I can finally get to Z-Wave Details page. I try enable/disable z-wave radio. It seems working. But when I try to reset radio, it fails to reset. I still cannot add z-wave devices to the C-7 hub.