Z-Wave Multi Channel (PE653)

@CAL.hub, a while back I created "commands" in the DTH to program the schedules. But to clarify, a command is just an exposed method that can be called either from a SmartApp or the Rule Machine. I made some posts about the calling parameters and such. I had hoped to create a SmartApp (in ST) to present a UI to use those commands, but alas I have moved to HE and there isn't an App in which to do such UI tricks. Rule Machine is the best option, although I have not yet had an opportunity to test this out, so some trial and error would be in store. They should work. Here's a quick overview:

List setSchedule(Integer endpoint, Integer schedNo, Integer startHour, Integer startMinute, Integer endHour, Integer endMinute) {
List resetSchedule(Integer endpoint, Integer schedNo) {

endpoint is a number 1-10 (5 switches, pool/spa mode, 4 VSP speeds)
schedNo is a number 1-3 indicating which of the 3 schedules should be set
Hour and Minute are the 24-hour time to start and stop.

For example:
setSchedule(1,1,0,0,23,59) // Set Switch 1 sched 1 to turn on at midnight, off at 11:59PM
resetSchedule(1,3) // Reset Switch 1 sched 3 (disable)
setSchedule(7,1,07,00,18,00) // Set VSP 1 sched 1 on at 7AM, off at 6PM

If debug is enabled you should see messages in the log showing any calls you make so you can double check you sent what was intended.

The 953 is the best way to read the schedules to see if they are set as desired.

Let me know how this works out.

Thanks, Keith. Good to hear from you!

I'm perplexed about using the setSchedule. For now, I'm testing this on ST using your v3.05 (therein may be my problem). I see these commands in the DTH.

However, to test, I'm trying a simple action-only piston in webCoRE. The setSchedule command isn't available to me.

Screenshot_20190728-172451

Ideas, please?

Also, what do getSchedule and resetSchedule do?

Does anyone here have a Spa? I ask because about 3-4 months ago, my spa function stopped working.

What I mean by this is I have two (2) actuators that used to turn when I turn on the spa. Now, only one turns.

I did verify that both actuators work, it seems that only one actuator turns when I press the pool/spa button.

Anyone seen this?

Hey everyone, I'm migrating to HE from ST. I have read most of this thread and didn't really find any install directions. Can someone post what's needed? it seems like we may or may not need a multi-channel app/driver. Is there and app that's needed? Also, is the latest driver 3.1.4a? Just let us newbies know.

Thanks!

This is for the newbies like me getting this setup. A few things of note. My PE653 is running firmware 3.4. I pull the directions form the Vera install directions and fixed incorrect information. Also, it looks like the correct stable driver version is 3.1.2. Unless you have problems with VSP then you should run 3.1.4a. I personally am running 3.1.4a, because I have VSP pump and could not get the child switches to work. BTW 3.1.4a didn’t solve that problem either.

For me the child switches only show if it’s on or off for VSP speeds. The on/off switches for VSP speeds don’t work. Switches 1-5 do work.

Here are the steps I followed:

A. Install the PE653 driver:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/hubitat-zwavemultichannel-pe653/master/intermatic-pe653-pool-control-system.groovy

3.1.4a
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/hubitat-zwavemultichannel-pe653/vsp-support/intermatic-pe653-pool-control-system.groovy

B. Install the child switch driver:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/erocm123/Hubitat/master/Drivers/switch-child-device.src/switch-child-device.groovy

C. Pair the PE653 and PE953 to HE (from Vera Directions)

RESET EVERYTHING (or just network and keep the PE953 settings)

1. Wake up the PE953
  2. Press and hold P/S and ENTER for a few seconds
  3. Bring the PE953 near the PE653. (don't worry about where HE is) Choose #2 - REMOVE DEVICE (Mine says REMOVE DEVICE earlier firmware versions might say RESET DEVICE)
  4. On the PE653, press The BUTTON (inside the screwed door). Expect to see SUCCESSFUL
  5. On the PE953 Re-enter the config screen. Choose #1 - RESET CONTROLLER
  6. Choose #1 - RESET NET AND CFG (If you choose only RESET NET you keep all your controller (PE953) settings

PAIR (include) the wired PE653 controller with HE

1. Bring HE near the PE653. <—I didn’t need to do this step
  2. I did ZWave exclude and hit the Button on the PE653
  3. Then I did a ZWave Include
  4. Press The BUTTON on the PE653. It should flash a bit, then the ZWave LED should flash a bit.
  5. This should add the main device

PAIR (include) the PE953 to HE

1. Bring the PE953 handheld close to HE and get to the config screens again. Specifically, the CNTRL CONFIG (or OPTION) page.
  2. Start ZWave Include
  3. Choose #2 CONTROLLER COPY
  4. Choose #2 - RECEIVE NET ONLY. (Happy days! No battery pull needed!)
  5. It should say Success!

Wait! The PE953 now shows OUT OF RANGE.

PAIR (include) the PE653 and PE953

1. Get the PE653 and PE953 close together.
  2. On the PE953 handheld, get to the config screens. Specifically, the LEARN MODE page.
  3. Choose 3 - INCLUDE DEVICE
  4. Press The BUTTON on the PE653. You'll see some flashing and you'll see SUCCESSFUL on the PE953 display.
  5. Get to the config screens again. Specifically the CNTRL CONFIG (or OPTION) page.
  6. Choose 1- PRIMARY SCREEN SEL.
  7. Set the PRIMARY SCREEN SEL to PE653 (not ZWAVE).
  8. Press ENTER and ENTER to exit the configuration.

You now have the PE653 and PE953 linked with HE

D: Setup Child devices and settings.

1. Go to your new Pool device.
  2. Choose the correct settings like Booster pump settings, Type of pool pump (for me it was VSP 4 speed), and such. Save you settings.
  3. Then choose recreate Child Switches.
  4. How you have Child switches.

For me with a 4 speed VSP here is how the child switches looked:

1 - Main Power
2 - Nothing
3 - Booster Pump
4 - Pool Light
7 - VSP 1*
8 - VSP 2*
9 - VSP 3*
10 - VSP 4*

*Only displays On/Off ... On/Off buttons don’t work.

Edit

Set VSP to 0 does not wok either

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you for doing this!!

I have two issues with the device that may be interpolated and I am curious as to whether anybody else is experienced the same.

1. Has anyone noticed that Commands can sometimes be unresponsive unless pressed multiple times (I.E.two or three times). I specifically refer to commands that would adjust the temperature of the heater such as quick set pool and quick set spa

2. I notice any time I run a command, my logs fill with dozens if not hundreds of lines of debug and trace logs regarding the pool device. This happens even when I don’t run a command which leads me to believe the device is constantly talking with HE and showing things down. The logs do not bother me but if the device is not doing anything why is it communicating with HE?

The first I have noticed. The second I have not looked for.

Overall my limited experience with HE is this is the case. Often when a command is sent to a device it doesn't work the first time. I'm coming from ST, and did have the same issue there, but not nearly as bad as it is with HE. I have to follow most things up with Checks. Additional HE was suppose to be so much faster...it's not at all. The command execute faster, but the dashboards take forever to load. In general loading of anything is far slower. So I just traded one thing for another.

@keithriley are you seeing these performance issues from the above threads?

I’m sorry I don’t know which threads your talking. If that was directed at me.

Nope the question about the delay was fit @keithriley. He created the device for HE

Hey guys, I'm still here.

@JDogg016, I have occasionally seen delay issues, but as much as I hate to say it, they seem to go away when I reset my Hub. I also see issues where my Hubitat dashboard becomes unresponsive and I have to reload it. I have a wall mounted tablet so it is always running.

I have a new driver I have been running for many months now and seems to be quite stable. I am going to coordinate with @joshua to post the new code. I implemented child thermostats which is something @joshua always wanted that integrates nicely with the Hubitat dashboards. I also tweaked the logging quite a bit, using his common framework, to allow us to turn it up and down, by default much less volume and more concise. Once this is published and a few of you confirm it is stable for you we can take a fresh look at some of these issues.

More to come...

1 Like

Thats great News!!!

Thanks, Keith!

Questions:

1. Does the color control work in this driver? I've never had a color bulb until this week, so I didn't much care, but now I have a Pentair Intellibrite 5G, and I can change the color by flicking the switch that's downline from the PE653, but haven't had any success sending the command in HE.

2. @keithriley, amazing news! But question: Is your new driver dependent on firmware 3.4? I'm still stuck at 3.3. You may remember, way back in the thread somewhere, I talked about how my schedule on circuit 3 gets ignored after running through once, and it was suggested that an upgrade would solve it. I had someone offer to mail me their upgrade stick from the ST site, but he never sent it. :confused:

Anyway...hoping to just make sure I'm making the most of this controller, as I'm catching up on cleaning up my home automation stuff after a while off, and have this newly installed color light...

Thanks!

@rickyturner, I also have the Pentair lights and the controller handles this nicely for me. The key to it is that the light has to be on one of the 5 "switches" that the PE653 controls. I have my pool light on SW3 and my Spa light on SW5.

The first step is to "enable" the corresponding "Circuits" (switches) that you want to be toggled when you send the color command. This is way down in the "Preferences" section of the Device configuration (not Commands). For example: Circuit 3 Color Light Enable = On. I don't recommend turning on more than one Circuit. It works in theory but has not worked well for me. Instead turn on one (eg: pool sw3), set the color, then change to spa (if you have one) and set it's color.

To actually set the color use the command setLightColor with a number between 1-14, corresponding to the color you want (number of power toggles). I created a Dimmer tile on my HE dashboard to facilitate this but it's a little funky because a Dimmer goes from 0-100%, so don't set it above 14%. Alternatively you could create buttons that set to a specific color.

Let me know if it works out for you!

Regarding 3.3, I honestly don't recall the issues we had with 3.3. Some had to do with thermostat I thought, and I have since improved the logic to be more fault tolerant (since it turns out there are 2 versions of 3.4 out there). Maybe it will work better now. Won't hurt to try. But maybe also make another shout-out to whoever offered to send the stick, I don't recall...

1 Like

Darn...I was hoping there was maybe more to it than this. I definitely have this set up. My light is on switch 4, and I have Circuit 4 Light Enable on--no others, as I don't have a spa or anything complicated. No dice. It just seems to have no effect. Will keep messing with it now that I know it's supposed to work. I also wonder if it's possible this has to do with me being on 3.3.

As for that 3.3 stuff, my original post about my problems there was actually over at the ST Community last July, and your response right under it.

It was Philh30 who offered to send me his stick via PM. I reached out to him again last night, as it looks like he's still active over there. Those sticks are unobtanium these days. Last I looked at the logs when I was trying to get the lights thing to work, it seemed like the device was throwing a lot of errors, and I wondered if it could be version related.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help. The quest goes on. :+1:

Go ahead and post a log of the light attempt and I'll take a look...

Thank you! Will do later when I'm home on the network. :slight_smile:

Here we go. Nice and simple. One error, trying to set the light color to 3:

2020-04-29 10:43:03.077 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: user_driver_Nowhereville_Intermatic_Pool_Control_System_258.setLightColor() is applicable for argument types: (java.math.BigDecimal) values: [3]
Possible solutions: setLightColor(int) (setLightColor)