Z-Wave LR

So when are we getting a new Hubitat that supports this :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Sweet!!

Cool! I guess this will require a new 800 series chip?

When is the C-8 hub being released? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

EDIT: just read an article that stated this new specification falls short to the competition: Zigbee can do 65K devices and the forthcoming Amazon Sidewalk has been reported to work with devices up to a mile away. If I ever move to a house a mile long with 65K devices, I will probably get cancer just walking from the bedroom to the kitchen...

7 Likes

Dam, another freaking hub? I already have a part time job with 5 hubs, another would kill me.
Oh wait, it's 6 I forgot one.
Just got the C7, should have waited...

My guess - 2024. It won't even be a final spec, let alone included in the SDK, until probably 2022.

[1/2021 EDIT: Looks like it may come out sooner than I expected. Nice to be wrong in that direction]

2 Likes

Ezlo Plus and secure have Long range in hardware... They have tested and it works good... It has the 700chip as Hubitat has. Wonder if its a software thing... @bcopeland can you answer??

1 Like

CAN he answer? Yes.

WILL he answer? :man_shrugging:

As you really need device support to get the true benefit of LR, there really isn't any hurry to answer other than marketing.

Now if/when vendors release firmware updates for their 700 series devices that support LR, the pressure will be on to announce something for the hub side....

The non-hubitat, non-official answer is that I think all 700 series chip based hubs can support LR (from the hardware side of things).

Still takes firmware/software support though. But again - chicken and egg of SiLabs firmware availability and SDK/ZAF support versus device LR support.

(I reserve the right to be wrong, and will retract/correct if I am)

1 Like
6 Likes

This is awesome!

Sadly, none of my Z-Wave devices has the 700 chip but the new C-7 hub I just migrated to... The wife will kill me if I continue spending money on new devices or replacements for a while...

1 Like

There is sadly a disappointing dearth of zwave 700 devices, period.

It'll get there, though. Takes time...

Although, not as many CES 2021 zwave announcements as I would liked either. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanx for the answer!

1 Like

I think the latest Zooz devices have 700 chips and their support is quite good and come up with firmware updates often so they'll probably add this. That said, I don't like the Zooz switches / dimmers as they use regular dumb remotes, they make the installation simple but then the user experience suffers...

That's why I went with Leviton and had put up with their bugs, IMHO those are the best smart switches for dumb users, no change in how you use them and all look and work exactly the same, including remotes. I just wish Leviton had good support for these but their support sucks!

Here is a range picture from Ezlos test... 400m thrue buildings... quite cool!

It is cool. I need device support though... And not for in-wall devices switches/dimmers that largely all talk directly to the hub anyway...

I need it for battery operated and outdoor devices. Until that happens it is just "neat".

But I'm glad it is coming. :+1:

4 Likes

This is very cool. Ironically, the only 700 devices I have are the C7 and an Aeotec Range Extender 7 (which wouldn't be necessary if I had a bunch of 700 devices). :smile:

It would be neat if a device could pair as an LR device and participate in a mesh, as that would allow an LR range extender to act a bit like a very simple hub.

Anyone know of any products that are currently available for purchase that support zwave LR?

Not yet

Does anyone have any idea when we can expect to see these on the market?

No. Manufacturing issues, shipping issues, chip supply issues, certification issues... The list goes on and on.

1 Like

@JasonJoel
I assume that these very same issues will delay "matter" as well.
Is that your assumption as well?

1 Like