Z-Wave Kwikset 916 Jammed Lock Bug

I’m having an issue with my Kwikset 916 Z-Wave locks and in looking up online, others seem to be having the exact same issue: Quickset 916 - Z-Wave - Home Assistant Community and Issues with Kwikset 914 (nodes going dead, jamming up entire · Issue #4483 · zwave-js/node-zwave-js · GitHub

The gist of it is when the lock jams (i.e. door is not closed all the way so the bolt doesn’t go in the cavity when locking through HE), then the lock just drops off the Z-wave network. At this point, you can’t send commands to the lock and any attempts to interact with the jammed lock freezes commands to other devices in your Z-wave network for some time. I can generally “fix” it by removing the battery and putting it back in, but in general, this behavior is kinda unacceptable. I can’t have a door jamming affecting the whole network… There isn’t much I can do about it other than to replace all the locks.

My question is for those of you with the Zigbee version of this lock, do you experience this issue with jammed locks? I can still return 2 of my locks, but I may just have to consider the other 4 locks a loss since it’s past the return date :frowning: Ideally, I want to stick to Kwikset purely out of aesthetic reasons.

This is due to the FLiRS beam sent out to try and wake the lock, it may be trying multiple times and that beam will hog the mesh for up to 60 seconds. I have a rule that runs when I push a button to turn off everything and lock up, I had to move my locks to the very end otherwise if a lock had to be woken up some of the lights would be very delayed to turn off.

Have you tried sending just an unlock to the device when it jams?

If you want to get more info, turn on debug logging on one of them and then force a jam. Post the resulting logs (screenshot). Curious to see what the lock is sending out when it happens.

Yes. This was all done just through lock/unlock directly on the device page. I will turn on logging today and copy/paste logs some time today. Thanks again for the help! I feel pretty helpless with this one. I’ve already initiated return with 2 of the locks that I could and seeing if I can get Kwikset to do a return on the other 4 :frowning:

We have 10 Zigbee 914's here, and have never had one drop off the Zigbee network due to any reason other than battery depletion.

1 Like

Thank you! That seems promising! Have you had a "jam" before and it's still responsive after the fact?

We have the occasional jam, due to a door not being completely closed before the lock is engaged. The jammed lock (displaying "unknown") has always been responsive to being unlocked again by HE.

What driver are you using for the the Zigbee Kwikset Locks? I noticed that the 916 does not have a Z-Wave version in the built-in drivers, so I've been using the Generic Z-Wave Lock. May the Zigbee driver has better error handling.

Thats sort of why I wanted to see the debug logs. I have on my radar to work on a z-wave lock driver.

We are using the built-in Generic ZigBee Lock driver.

1 Like

Logs incoming! I was literally just messing with the lock and taking screenshots. Let me know if you have any questions. For the purposes of this test, all lock/unlock commands are sent via the Device Page.

1. Successful Unlock

2. Intentional Jam Lock. Note the status stays in "unlocked" rather than "unknown" that @jwjr gets.

3. Unlock Command After Jam. The motors actually perform the unlock at this step.

4. Attempt Lock. Unresponsive.

5. Manually Set in "Lock" Position and Remove/Reinsert Battery Pack. The lock beeps after battery pack is reinserted and the lock state changes to "Lock". The lock becomes responsive again.

6. Unlock Command is response again.

I think what I really want to do is send whatever command removing and reinserting the battery pack does whenever there's a jam. It would have been nice if the lock state changed to "unknown" as that can be the trigger for the command, but I suppose a "send lock command but status still equals unlock" can be used.

I have another thread (which I will have to find) with some other lock issues as well. Although I dont think they were as helpful with logs. I need to get a driver together to get some BETTER logs.

The one thing I see here that is a problem is the refresh the driver keeps issuing. Seems like a band-aid for certain locks that may not report the status right away. If that is sending multiple commands it might be triggering multiple beam attempts when the lock is not responding.

The fact that the lock really does unlock after the jam is telling me it should be recoverable, possibly the hub is overwhelming it with commands and then the radio on the lock freezes or something. That's why the battery pull fixes it. When the lock "boots" it just automatically is firing out its current states to update the hub which is why it all syncs up when you do the battery pull.

There is no "command" when the battery is pulled, it is just what the lock does when it reboots. I dont think there is a way to trigger that without pulling the batteries.

The unknown or jammed state possibly could be derived from S2 supervision replies if implemented correctly. I will have to work on a custom driver that has extra logging in it and a basic lock/unlock command to test some things.

1 Like

I have had the Zwave version of this lock for over 2 years and it has never dropped off the network.

If by jamming you mean when the door is not closed all the way and the deadbolt attempts to throw against the door jamb such that it can hardly move, that happens at least once a week in my house - it happens often enough that there is a slight indentation and dark mark on my white door jamb from this happening. The lock tries throw the deadbolt several times, then the lock emits three loud beeps to warn it is not locked. It has never dropped from the network when this happens.

• I'm using the "Generic Z-Wave Lock" driver
  • At pairing (I've now paired it twice) it auto fills the Schlage lock driver, but that did not work for me
  • I can't find any firmware info on the device details page. However, on the Zwave details page, I found this:

Another thing about this lock - I've read people complaining about this locks short battery life, long beep when locking, and long wait to reenter code after making a mistake or after locking. ALL of that is associated with the deadbolt not fully extending. If your lock has these issues, go back to read the install details, and drill a deeper hole for the deadbolt to extend into. Once the deadbolt can extend the full depth, it no longer makes a long beep sound when locking, the battery therefor lasts longer, and you can immediately re-enter/enter a code after either making a mistake or after locking. If you make a mistake when entering, just tap the lock icon and then put the correct code in.

2 Likes

Exactly this. Maybe dropping from the network isn't the right word for it. It just becomes unresponsive to any commands. Any commands I send it also freezes my entire Z-Wave network for about a minute. Removing & reinserting the battery pack works.

I have the same Device Class in my Z-Wave Details page. Here is what I have on the Device Page:

I also use the Generic Z-Wave Lock driver. Here's the advanced page details:

Thank you! I ordered the Zigbee version to try and see if it has the same issue. If it doesn't we may just end up replacing most of our main house locks with that, but I may still end up having to install 1 of these here so I can test it if you want. Also, I noticed that I have a few "ghost" devices in the Z-Wave Details page from my previous attempts of Excluding/Reincluding the lock. Do you know how to get rid of them? Not sure if this contributes to the issue at all, but I could retry the steps once they're deleted.

There are some instructions I provided in this post to possibly remove them using just the hub, as well as the more advanced way using a USB stick and PC software:

1 Like

Boo. Still doing it. I was really hoping the ghosts were the issue. I removed them, shut down, unplugged for 30s, and powered back on... Made sure there were no more ghosts in the Z-Wave Details page then redid my steps. Can there still be ghosts that are NOT in the Z-Wave Details?

Not usually, only cases of nodes disappearing is with Long Range but those are not mesh so they dont matter much.