Z-Wave issues - hanging/frozen devices

I've got a somewhat perplexing Z-wave issue in my home network. Some switches periodically stop responding, either locally or remotely. An 'air-gap' will reliably clear the problem for a little while.

The devices with problems are 4 GE/Jasco Fan Dimmers, and a couple of Inovelli Red Switches. I have replaced one of the Inovelli switches and exactly the same problem happens, so I doubt that its a hardware issue (but could be firmware)

The Z-Wave network has 50+ devices over 2 floors of a mid-size house, with 2 repeaters for edge rooms with sleepy devices. The problem switches are all over the house, about the only commonality is that they are all in multi-gang boxes with other z-wave switches.

Does anyone have ideas on what might be triggering the devices to be unhappy ? I'm guessing its something network related, but am at a loss currently. Thanks!

Quick question for you -- do you have the C5 or C7?

Reason I'm asking is we're noticing similar issues with the 700 Series SDK with a separate hub manufacturer and I'm now wondering if this is SDK related.

Do you notice any patterns when this occurs?

@ericm -- I wonder if this is related to what we're seeing with the other hub company?

1 Like

I get this with Zooz devices on a C7, and many other users have reported the same thing in various threads.

@Eric_Inovelli Its a C7 hub.

On patterns, its always the same switches (or switch locations since at least one switch has been swapped out) and seems to happen intermittently - it didn't occur much at all for a while but currently I'm hitting 1-2 devices like this a day, which is what triggered the thread here.

On recent changes, the weather has been a lot of rain and thunderstorms of late. I wonder about static electricity, although we don't have carpet in most of the house.

On HA, there have recently been some new rules added to better turn lights on/off as people move through the house. This hasn't updated the GE/Jasco fan controllers any, but other z-wave switches in the same 3-gang boxes are being used more with HA from HE changing multiple lights.

-- Rob

No Zooz here. For sensors I mostly use Sonoff Zigbee, cheap on eBay, long battery life and at least for me they have proven to be reliable.

Hey @fair.rob -- are these devices paired with S2 by chance?

@Eric_Inovelli Yes, they are all S2 paired as it happens.

Just ran across this thread. I too am having an issue with some Zooz ZEN16 relays on a C7. Periodically one of them will just quit responding. Have to do a reset and re-pair.

Have you found any solution yet?

I have all my devices paired with S2 and I only get occasional issues. Usually if I power cycle the device (air gap, unplug, or breaker reset) it fixes it. I have never had to re-pair to get them to work except when doing firmware updates.

My ZEN16 has been unresponsive for a few days now. I power cycled the hub and the ZEN16. Still will not open my garage doors. If I re-pair, do I have to set everything up again like I did with the original install or will it remember my child settings?

If you have a C7 hub you could try doing a zwave replace to get it back into the same node. [Guide] Updating Firmware and ZWave Replace

What caused it to stop responding? Did you update the firmware?
You could try setting it to this driver (below) and use the command button to set the lifeline association. In the off chance it lost the association somehow this will fix it.

1 Like

Not sure what caused it to stop responding. I have not updated it. Still using firmware 1.03. I just registered for a Zooz account so that I can get the update file. I tried your Z-Wave Universal Device Scanner driver, but that did not seem to do anything.

I assume when you say power cycle, you unplugged the hub for at least 10 seconds?
If thats the case, it is unusual for a device to just stop responding unless it got factory reset somehow, or is defective.

You could try doing to zwave replace to get it back, this will cause minimal disruptions. You may need to follow the factory reset procedure on the device before it will pair again. You may also need to set some of the config parameters again after the replace is done. The child devices should stay in place and start working again.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. Had to do a factor reset.