Z-wave Ghost won't remove via hub, official advice?

Agreed. At this time, I see no degradation, if I see problems, I will do a reset on the zwave radio. A pain.
Seems like someone could write a rebuild database program.
40 years ago, I set up a random mainframe database and wrote the code to access and maintain it. From time to time the pointers would get corrupted.
You sequentially read the database, rebuilding previous and next record pointers, remove any deleted records.
If there are indices, you rebuild those at the same time.
You just have to restrict access to the file while it is being fixed.
It's not rocket science, just logic.

Btw, if it's a real SQL database, there are maintenance programs already written to do that.
Likely, the sticks they are selling do exactly that.

1 Like

It is now. But corrupted records in the original proprietary format cannot be edited (at least that's my understanding).

1 Like

Gives them a lock on selling fixes.
I won't be donating to them at least directly.

Any one of the Z-wave sticks + PC-Controller will remove the issue, and I've had some very stubborn ones. Very creative to take the hub to your neighbor's house, don't recall seeing that trick.
If everything is working well, I'd say leave it( I know, I know advice from the guy who freaks out when everything is not 100%- I'm sure there's some 3 letter acronym I can blame it on).

@aaiyar was the DB upgrade applied with the firmware update? And do you recall the date? considering nuking my setup and starting over

1 Like

Don't remember seeing a db upgrade, probably before my time.

Thinking it may have been in 2.2.3.x

2 Likes

If you hit the z-wave firmware update button at the top of your z-wave details page you're on the new database

I have, about a week ago.
Just says "update", didn't know it was a zwave firmware update.

Probably not the firmware update. Definitely not if it's still there.

2 Likes

Nope, not the firmware update - that's the update for a region or status change.

3 Likes

I got it.
Don't know when, but it's there.
VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:17, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:17, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

1 Like

If the button isn't there, you are already up to date. (On a related note, I also know that the update is reported to not fix existing database corruption, just make it less likely going forward. It's not clear to me if this "upgrades" existing databases or if only new/reset ones are created in this format.)

2 Likes

My understanding is that existing databases get translated into the new format. So corrupt entries become "good" entries, and can't be removed.

So I'm not certain I'm understanding, when corrupt becomes good, does it then work or since it's marked good, this is the reason the hub can't remove it?
TIA

This.

1 Like

After a couple of weeks, I was finally able to remove my ghost device.
Topology looks much better. Not sure if anything changed as far as speed.
Should have taken a snapshot of the details before I removed it.
Btw, it IS supposed to be mostly red, right?

Looks pretty bad to my eyes... look at 0D (2nd device) for example... horizontally it's all red, meaning no connection. Vertically, there are two blue indicating a connection. That's a one way communication. Device 0F has told the hub that it has 0D as a neighbor but 0D is not reporting any neighbors.. none.

You have several in that condition. 0E, 11, 15, 16, 1A, 2D, 2E. You need more blue, less red :frowning:

I'd use the ZWave Details page for more accuracy, since it shows what the actual routing is.

One of my C-7's:

Everything is Direct (solid blue line across the top and along the left edge,) with one exception 61. When I look at ZWave Details, I see it's showing as Direct too:

It's a Recessed Door Sensor and is battery powered, so it might not have reported the last time the Topology info was collected.

2 Likes

Yep, after I posted that, I researched and it does look bad.
Got any ideas how to make it better?
I read that excluding and starting at the hub working out including zw devices will work.
I've tried zw repair twice, It doesn't help.
Many devices are showing 9.6k. A couple 100k.

Just curious how you got them all direct.....Are you using an antenna mod?