How To: Remove Ghosts using hub tools or a UZB Stick

5 Likes

Just added your elegant graphic to the FAQ in the section about exluding the UZB stick. Crystal clear... :slight_smile: :+1:

6 Likes

Tried it with both of those unfortunately :frowning:

Just a note that I just fixed the download link from Dropbox, thanks to info from @672southmain that the link was downloading the wrong version of the document (from back in July 2019!!).

Apologies to anyone who got the old version...please re-download from the link in the first post to get the current version.

3 Likes

Life was so much simpler then! :rofl: no :mask:

3 Likes

I'm trying to re-add an Illumin bulb without S0.

I started the Z-wave PC Controller just fine and it sees my whole network just fine. I had left the Z-wave stick included in the network and had it plugged into a USB hub, so it's been powered/alive but unused for a month or two. I unplugged it from the hub and reconnected it to my laptop, and then start the software.

But when I select NWI, it starts throwing errors in the log - even before attempting to do anything with the bulb (it's still powered off):

Any ideas?

Background:

I previously successfully added this bulb and some Fibaro Flood sensors without S0, using this laptop, software and Zooz stick, using the included instructions for adding devices without security.

However, on Friday did a Hub Protect migrate from my original C-7 to another C-7 with the external Z-wave antenna mod. Every Z-wave device came back just fine - except the Illumin bulb. The hub claimed it could see the bulb (e.g., Z-wave repair thought the device just fine), but no commands seemed to work. E.g., I couldn't turn it off or on. I excluded the bulb and re-added it, which re-added it with S0. At that point, the bulb worked fine. So I left it that way for a few days while I rebuilt my Zigbee network (120 devices to reset after the migrate).

At this point I figured I'd take S0 off this bulb, so I just excluded it using a minimote so that the I can leave the old device in place in all the automations it's in. Then I reset the bulb just to be sure.

But the bulb is powered off and the Z-wave PC controller seems to be unhappy with something.

Which mesh is the USB stick paired to? The original C-7, or the Hub Protect migrated mesh of the upgraded C-7? Not clear to me from your post.

Remember, the USB stick is a secondary controller to some Hub on some mesh. Perhaps it’s not a secondary to the migrated hub on the migrated mesh.

I would do a general exclude of the USB controller, then include again through PC Controller on the migrated mesh of the upgraded C-7.

1 Like

Well, the Hub Protect migrate moves the Z-wave database to the new hub, so all the devices just end up talking to the new hub. So it's paired to the new hub only. But, since it's special (a secondary controller), perhaps this is not good enough. I'll exclude it and re-include it to see if that fixes things. Thanks for the suggestion!

UPDATE: excluding and re-including the stick fixed the NWI problem.

1 Like

@danabw Wanted to take a moment to thank you for your fantastic writeup!

Using your guide I was able to successfully remove a ghost device from my C7 hub using PCcontroller & and a Zooz ZST10 700-series USB stick.

Thanks again!

Marc

7 Likes

Very glad you were successful! I stood on the shoulders of Giants to write the guide. :wink:

1 Like

@danabw Thanks for the excellent writeup. I've used it many times over the past year to great success.

I do have a stupid question though for you and @csteele ... Once my stick is included on my C-7, how do I get it to update the node list? For example I added the stick a month ago. Then two weeks ago I added a new device. That new device won't show up in PC Controller. I've tried the "Update Neighbors" button and no love.

In the past I've just excluded and re-included to get around this, but that's super kludgy, and for whatever reason right now my stick won't exclude. Hopefully I'm just missing an obvious button somewhere.

In PC Controller, which is the tool that talks to the stick, there's an Update button, 2nd from the right:

That asks the Primary controller to resend the DB. However, I've had cases when it didn't update and rather than hunt down what it needs, I would just Exclude and Re-Include.

5 Likes

Yah, that's sadly what I've been trying, and it doesn't seem to update. Will go with exclude/include again. Appreciate the response!

2 Likes

Memory says that the closer the USB stick is to your Hubitat, the better the transfer works.

3 Likes

@aaiyar I have a dead Jasco on/off Zwave switch that I can't remove. I've tried to remove it from the Wave details page, selecting remove multiple times, rebooting and selecting remove. I've included my Zwave USB stick (with and without security) in the network, Selected the failed device and marked it as failed then selected remove failed. None of this is working. Any suggestions? Thanks

Is the switch disconnected from power?

Are you using the silabs software to remove it or trying to do it from hubitat itself?

It's powered

Both using Si labs and directly from the hub

So forget removing from the hub for a minute. In the silabs software mark the node as dead. Once you do that you should be able to remove it. It does help if the device that created the ghost is powered down. Marking the node as dead though is key