Z-Wave firmware on C7. ERROR: This firmware target is not upgradable

I’m getting the same error on my c7. Has there been any update to this that’s not in this thread?

I’m on 2.3.8.119

And same current version:

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:17, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:17, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

You are on the most current hub platform.

PM your hub model and Hub UID (Settings>Hub Details) to @bcopeland so he can look into this further.

same problem i post on another thread. on latest hub firmware on two hubs (obviously not zwave). there is definately a bug and no reply..

Same issue here. I just finally migrated to a C7 from ST one week ago after it sat in my closet since Christmas 2022. After building a perfect z wave network with 90 wired devices, no ghost devices, and perfectly clean repair reports, I seem to wake up every morning to an empty z wave device table. Following the post on here to update the z wave firmware, I stumbled upon this firmware issue.
A bit of a disappointment that even with a perfectly set up z wave network, I have to unplug my C7 every morning to restore the z wave device table -and- I can’t upgrade the z wave firmware. I’d say it’s an even trade at this point - ST sucked, but I only had to soft restart homebridge from time to time. Kinda sucks worse to have to go down to the basement every morning and unplug, wait 2 minutes and plug back in. I might be at a net loss between that 2 minutes and the amount of time I’d otherwise spend getting up to turn on/off lights throughout the day.

Hope they figure this out soon. I don’t get much time to work on this stuff, and I want to get it done and behind me. Have a lot of automation to rewrite, but want to make sure the hardware/firmware is good before I start that massive effort.

If you don't mind, PM your hub model and UID to @bcopeland on the HE staff so he can include your engineering logs in his review of this issue.

Not a fix, but a possible work-around:

I think if you downgrade the hub itself to 2.3.6 firmware it may work. I am guessing something with the update button got botched up with the new UI. On 2.3.7 that button was missing and they added it back in 2.3.8, possibly is broken.

Use this URL to download the last 2.3.6 release:
http://HUB.IP/hub/advanced/downloadPlatform/236
It will spin for a while just let it go.

Then use the diagnostic tool and "Restore Previous Version" button.
-- Hubitat Diagnostic Tool | Hubitat Documentation

Once Zwave FW is updated you can update back to 2.3.8

2 Likes

thanks but my hubs that need updating are in a remote location,, seems a little risky to start going back that far in f/w.. think i will wait for a real fix..

1 Like

This may just be a UI issue where the button is pointing to the wrong endpoint or something. So maybe just @gopher.ny needs to look at it?

3 Likes

This makes a lot of sense...nice brain work. :slight_smile:

If by endpoint, you are referring to the firmware download location, I'm thinking not. Yesterday when I tried the firmware update, before it failed, it downloaded the file, completed the CRC check, attempted to start the update then failed. I just tried it again and got the same result. Any further attempts just fail immediately - I’m guessing because the file is already downloaded.

1 Like

In that post "endpoint" means the URL the hub is hitting to try to do the Z-Wave FW update...not the FW download location.

Not clear, did you try above? That should resolve your issue, based on feedback from HE staff that @jtp10181 sought out.

Bit the bullet and tried it... no go even after restoring old firmware

i have hub protect.. maybe i can get it replaced. but unfort. we will not be at that location till the beginning of april?

1 Like

That's after falling back to 2.3.6, right? Bummer, that looked like a good path.

unfort. also that is why i didnt want to do this.. i now lost control of the 1 remaining zwave device the door lock.. nothing works and i am not there to re-pair it.. sigh.

1 Like

Not sure why you would need re pair a zwave device just because the firmware updated refused to go? I thought you had a way to power cycle the hub remotely?

So after the Z-Wave update attempt the lock became uncontrollable? Bummer. I assume you've tried the off/remove power/wait/restart remotely? Or do you not have that hub on a wi-fi plug yet?

Yes i can power remotely. I did try shutdown wait reboot device still shows no route. And no zwave messages and re-pair fails

1 Like

Came back this morn. When the renter must have manually opened the.lock. weird.i can get responses from the lock but not.send to.it. literally 15 ft from hub. Will research more when back at the condo. Hopefully fw update issue resolved b4 then.

A couple of notes:

1. I too am apprehensive about downgrading firmware.
  2. If I understand what I’ve read correctly, @kahn-hubitat, if you have hub protect, you should be able to restore your z wave chip to a known good backup - if you have one. Am I mistaken here?
  3. I’ve been trying to wrap my head around installing a separately and reliably controlled device to power cycle the C7. The concept of a WIFI plug makes sense… but since I was out of available outlets on my rack mounted UPS’s and my rack mount PDU, I just temporarily powered the C7 off one of my RPIs’ usb ports - which has outside SSH access. Just wrote a quick script to shutdown the USB ports on the RPI and bring them up 90 seconds later so I may keep it that way for a while. Thanks for the inspiration!
  4. Since I did a clean repair followed by a power cycle two nights ago, my z wave table hasn’t emptied. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself!!! OFC, today I disrupted my runtime as I came up with a power cycle approach.
  5. QUESTION - does the C8 Pro have to be power cycled if the z wave table goes empty or the z wave chip wigs out? Or does it have the ability to reset power to the chip through a restart or through the UI/Software? I’m thinking about upgrading/migrating for the extended range, but was curious.

Again, just a noob here, so I apologize for any ignorance as I try to catch up. New to HE, but been into Zwave Automation for 15+ years - since the early days of Vera.