Z-Wave Failure - Widespread

So, not sure what I should be doing as a next step.
Multiple nodes unreachable, and other than replacing z-wave devices with zigbee, I am at a loss.

What could be the cause behind so many of the devices not responding, or not being able to add other devices to the z-wave network?

Do you have any devices that you were polling for status updates? Either non-plus or devices that did not report info so you had to refresh?

I would start by picking a device that is closer to the hub so it can talk directly to it. Try to find one that is responding to commands at least. On the device page turn on debug logging, run a CONFIGURE, get a screenshot of logs generated. Then try running a repair on just that device. If it fails run it a couple of times to see if you can get it to pass.

The result of that will determine the next things to try.

1 Like

@cuirbear There is another thread discussing this issue you may want to check out. At this link [2.3.5.113] C8 Z-Wave dropout at random times of the day - #145 by rob9

Might be related to my issue.
Perhaps these older Leviton devices (which I got back in the Wink days) are all 300 devices?
The z-wave plus ones likely are not.

If you have to poll them for status updates they could be 300 series. Z-Wave plus with automatic updates would be 500 or greater. Here is a little comparison chart I found:

3 Likes

OKay. I tried what you indicated on a device that is fairly close to the hub. It has always worked, and was not giving any issues. Here is the log:

Ran repair, and it completed successfully:

It must be something specifically with the Leviton Dimmers/Switches. And a couple of Zooz devices.

I have started replacing all of the Levitons that were not working (with either GE ZIgbee or Lutron)

The Zooz devices are now going to be the ones that I really need to fix, as they are unique (Multi button bathroom fan controller, and power strip)

EDIT: of note, I am not able to pair any of the Leviton Devices with my C7 either (z-wave, z-wave plus)

I meant to try that with a device that is not working 100%, to see if you can get it working again.

Does not seem likely that 90% of your devices physically failed all at once unless lightning struck your house.

Right.
Here is a device that does respond (but takes quite a long time). Post DEBUG and CONFIGURE:

Here is the repair message:

and here are the z-wave details:

When I turn the device on, it does come on, yet it does not change the status of the device in the device record

On the z-wave table above, I see that 0x3a is pending. Did you try to remove it? Is it still in a pending state?

What about if you press refresh on the device page? Then will it update the status?

WHen I press refresh on the device page, it does not update the device.

I try to repair - nothing. I then try to refresh, and it stays in a pending state indefinitely.

I have no problem replacing important devices with their Zigbee alternatives. Pricey, but it works.
There are a few devices that I need to get working, such as an inwall scene switch, and a power bar.

My fear is this - if I remove them from the z-wave network, I am afraid I will not be able to rejoin them.

Something must have happened to the z-wave radio? Guessing?
I don't understand why devices that worked for years on the C7, migrated fine to the C8, now have stopped working altogether.

Here is a good example:
Bathroom Fan. Zooz Multiscene switch.
I am able to turn it on and off from the switch. None of the buttons (there are 4) respond when I press them.
On the device details:
Everything reports correctly when I double tap or push buttons from the config screen.
The switch report, however, does not change, nor can I change the state from the device details.
HOWEVER, when I physically turn the switch on or off, it reports correctly on the dashboard.

Can you exclude that device then re pair it? Anything can cause a radio to fail. If it's not working properly your mesh isn't healthy and it needs to be culled.

Okay. Funny story....

I just realized that doing a power cycle on some of these devices actually got them responding again. Not exactly sure why I never thought of that before.
Now, hopefully they will stay connected and responding.

Does not explain why I am unable to connect any devices that have been previously excluded. Again, could be device failure, or just an older model device, but not certain.

After shutting down your hub completely, you can always throw the main breaker in your house and bring it up again. See if that clears them up.

What devices? Any old 300 chip stuff? Do they exclude?

All the devices that I cannot get to reconnect are Leviton plugs and dimmer modules.
Some are z-wave, likely 300 series. Some are z-wave plus, so pretty sure they are 500.

I tried to exclude them when they first started having issues. Most that were still in use would not; I ended up refreshing them from the z-wave details page, then removing them there as well, followed by removing the device itself.

Reset the devices according to spec, then tried to add them back, unusuccessfully.

Seems like your zwave is just in a terrible state. Many devices were down and not repeating properly. Power cycling the devices and getting them working again will help, may take some time for things to sort out again.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and assistance in my time of z-wave despair.
I think i am now in a better place. Replaced a few devices. Took some old ones out of play.
Learned a lot more.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.