Z-Wave Failure - Widespread

A couple of days ago, most of my z-wave devices stopped responding.
Also, I could not include devices, or exclude devices.

Here is the result of my z-wave repair:

Any ideas of what I can/should do?
This is from my C8 Hub

1 Like

Have you done a full shut down and pulled power for 30 seconds to restart the radios?

Post the full Z-wave details page, preferably NOT right after a reboot (specify uptime). If you want to get it all in one screenshot use https://getsharex.com/ and the Scrolling Capture feature.

5 Likes

Not yet. I will try that this morning when I have time.

Attached is the z-wave details page after the shutdown/pull power/reboot

Have not tried a z-wave repair as of yet

Looks like you’re back up. Routes should start appearing as you use devices.

1 Like

Many devices are still not responsive. Should I do a z-wave global repair?

do the power cycle for more than 30 seconds. Try 2 mins..

Okay. Tried that. Still have many unresponsive z-wave devices.
Some do respond to commands, but do not change their state in the device details.

Also, not able to include any z-wave devices. very frustrating.

Since my C7 never had this many z-wave issues, perhaps starting it up and adding z-wave devices to it in a mesh configuration? Just a thought.

Make sure to reset the Z-Wave radio on the C-7, and to have your C-7 Zigbee radio turned off or on a different channel than the C-8. Otherwise, confusion could occur.

Well, that didnt get me anywhere.
REstarted the C7, did a z-wave reset, then turned off zigbee radio. Followed by a soft reset.
Now unable to add any z-wave devices to the C7 hub.

Well, you do have to turn the C-7 Z-Wave radio back on in order to include new devices. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. The purpose of the reset was to exclude all devices from the C-7 because they are on the C-8. Then, you will have to exclude any you are going to put on the C-7 from the C-8 (actually, that exclude can be done by either hub), include them on the C-7, then mesh them back to the C-8.

Yep. Got that. Z-wave radio is on and functioning on the C7. Just unable to include any devices.
Now, it could be that the devices themselves are all not working, but I have tried 3 different leviton dimmers/swicth modules, and none of them will join.

Have even tried excluding/resetting the devices first - no go

And they are not shown on the C-8 devices list?

Sounds unlikely that all are not working with identical failure modes.

I don’t have any Leviton devices, but I seem to recall that it’s a magic dance to put them into inclusion mode.

I would have just done that but now it looks like you are going down a different path...

It doesn't seem to help much. I should probably do it again.

None of the devices I am trying to add are part of the C8. I find it very odd that z-wave is unable to add devices on either hub - or maybe all of the Leviton devices just have failed.

So, here is the latest z-wave repair report:

What would have changed on the hub to make this happen?
Are there any other troubleshootng steps I can take?

You seem to be doing all the right things. Only suggestion would be to do a clean shutdown of both hubs, then remove power from both hubs for 30 seconds (that’s the only way to reboot the Z-Wave radios), then power both hubs back up, but you indicate you’ve done that already.

I can’t imagine that you got 3 identical failures, unless there was some weird power fail spike that killed the Leviton devices.

1 Like

The devices that I had tried including have been out of the running for some time; it is likely that all of them have failed in the past and I am just holding on to them.

May try a reboot later on today or tomorrow

1 Like

As noted, seems doubtful. Maybe shut down the C8 and try to include again on the C7. Just spit-ballin' as the normal interventions aren't helping...

1 Like