[2.3.5.113] C8 Z-Wave dropout at random times of the day

I've had Z-Wave issues with my C8 and switched back to my C7 for now. I am also using POE and Unifi Switch but have the POE using a TP-LINK TL-PoE160S Injector and TP-Link TL-PoE10R splitter.

1 Like

Did you try removing the PoE splitter before you gave up on the C8? Just curious to see whether that could have still been your issue.

I did try using the power supply included locally briefly but was still seeing Z-Wave issues so I reverted to the C7. Until I saw this thread I assumed it was a hardware failure.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a hw issue - iā€™ve tried 3 C8s and all exhibit the same behavior. Removing the PoE splitter didnā€™t help in my case either but Iā€™m still plugging away looking for the solution!

1 Like

Unifi POE source by chance?

Well I tried the Unifi POE Injectors as I have a couple made for their AP's and neither would power any of my POE splitters. After looking at them in more detail, they are 24V 0.5A units, really only designed for their AP's, so no wonder it wasn't working to power the splitter.

I did have a Cudy 30W injector that I am (was) using on something else, so I plugged it in and it is working to power the splitter and hub. https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B08XQ7HBNV

So far everything is fine, but time will tell whether we see a failure tonight or not. The Unifi switch I have outputs POE at 48V, and the Cudy injector lists 52V. Hopefully the extra 4V overhead will cause the issues to disappear.

If this continues working, I'll probably pickup another Cudy injector for $15 and call it good enough. Really a bummer it doesn't work direct off the POE ports on the switch, but better to have reliable UPS backup power to the hub than a wall plug without battery backup.

Still getting z-wave sensors just no longer responding - happened to me twice today even with that problematic Ring sensor gone. A quick reboot (no power down) always resolves the issue. Nothing in the logs, z-wave mesh is solid, just - poof. No more z-wave devices report.

2 Likes

@jakokln No, I am using the TP-Link injector instead of the Unifi POE

You may be the only person I ever say this to: Maybe Home Assistant would be easier? :wink: Can't remember, if you do a nightly reboot all problems hidden, or do the reboots need to occur after the problem manifests?

Interesting, but makes sense. Unfortunately, I was a little too optimistic with the Cudy, and things have been problematic again, it seems starting late last night.

Think I am going to move my hub into my basement where my main UPS is, and power it up down there. It may hurt my mesh as it is currently on the ground floor, and I have a second story too. Would like to keep backup power to it though, and I don't really want to purchase another UPS just to power it since I have 5 UPS devices already to buy batteries for. We'll see how performance is down there, hopefully the repeaters will do their job and the network won't struggle.

Hey @brad5, do you have any 300 series devices in your network?

I am tracking what appears to be a serious incompatibility between the C-8 and 300 series devices. I've seen it with multiple C-8s that were C-7 migrations. In both cases, I've swapped back and forth between the C-7 and the C-8 and the C-7 consistently functions as expected while the C-8 consistently has problems.

300 series<<

What's the easiest way to tell that?

And, any info on the issue you're chasing would be interesting (particularly if you have any helpful tips).

Thanks!

300 series devices would generally be much older than 500 series or later devices.

The issue I am tracking appears to be specific to migrated Z-Wave from C-7 to C-8. The effect is that when the hub is asked to send packets to the device, the C-8 does not actually emit the packets right away. Sometimes there is a delay of 10-15 seconds before the packets are sent. Sometimes (rarely) they are not sent at all. More bothersome is that in the time between the sendHubCommand and the packets actually going out, Z-Wave appears to be hung for other devices as well.

I'm trying dedicated setups to confirm that this only happens with migrated Z-Wave. It's difficult because I don't have any spare 300 series devices--they are all production items.

1 Like

So, is there an indication on the device page or something that shows if it's 300 series?

Just wondering if I have any such dinosaurs in my house. Lol

Only if the driver records the Z-Wave protocol version in the Data section. Otherwise, you would have to look at the Z-Wave certification for the device.

1 Like

I went over a week this last time before having to shut down hub to fix Zwave. Interestingly it went unstable a few times during that week, but after sitting overnight, it would return to working fine.

I do have at least one 300 device (old non-plus smoke detector). I did migrate from a c-7 which migrated from a c-5.

Are we implying that removing the 300 device may resolve this issue?

Really hope thereā€™s a fix for this soon.

1 Like

I honestly don't feel confident enough yet to make a recommendation.

I just had mine drop out. Walked into the dark kitchen and nothing happened. Couldn't control z-wave devices with dashboard or device page.

While I was fooling around with the dashboard, and operating some switches manually, it came back. A switch I tried on the dashboard worked, and then so did everything else.

No evidence in the logs. Lasted less than 10 minutes. Zigbee not affected.

Weirdly, I had a similar experience with zigbee this past week.
Nothing was controllable. Couldn't fix it shutting down and power cycle, reboot, rebuild, etc.

Only thing that worked was unplugging the plugs and plugging them back in (cycling power). Those plugs, Centralites, are the only repeating zigbee devices I have.

Z-wave was not affected.

edit: All my stuff is only a couple years old or less.

1 Like

EDIT: I deleted my old text.

Looking closer at my logs I think my entire issue is just a lock problem, and I was too sleepy to read logs correctly this morning. Looking closer, my logs don't support my previous statement that my zwave became unresponsive entirely. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.