Z-wave Devices not responding [C8] (Solved by removing ghosts)

I noticed that today I have some blinds that are automated and a few out the bunch aren't responding. There are a few that are ~10 feet from the hub and even triggering the "open" command does not appear to work. The status updates in the app but nothing else.

Let me know what other information is needed.

How many are you opening/closing at a time? May need to put a ~10ms delay in between commands.

I'll add the delay to the ones with multiple blinds. However I do have an automation with a single blind that didn't respond when I ran the rule manually. Even going to the device and selecting open didn't appear to work either, the app status updated to show "Open" however it didn't open.

Can you post a screen shot of your ZWave Details?

Thats got to be the most ghosted nodes I have ever seen.
See all those nodes with no "Device" listed? Those are all potential problems. It is odd that a lot of yours still show neighbors. Did you recently reset and re-pair a bunch of devices? Or did you recently force remove a bunch of devices? Usually after a short time the Neighbors count will drop to 1 (just itself).

Also A LOT of your nodes with devices, show no routes. This usually only happens after a zwave radio restore or hub migration (or a zwave radio crash).

You may want to first shut down the hub totally and remove power for 10-30 seconds. Then power back up. This will allow the radio to fully restart. Test a couple of your working devices and then check the routes.

All the "ghost" nodes, you could start going through those and clicking refresh ONCE, wait, and hopefully you get a remove button. Then click REMOVE. See how many you can rid of that way. If the physical devices is still linked to that node and powered up it should not let you remove it on accident, so this is relatively safe to do.

2 Likes

I'll give that a try. Other than the initial migration from C-7 to C-8 no other changes no resetting or repairing.

1 Like

Ok, all those nodes with the blank devices should be safe to try and remove. If one doesn't want to remove I would just move on and remove as many as you can at first. You may need to power down and restart the hub a couple of times as you go to reboot the zwave radio if it seems like it is getting stuck. For some reason the remove process has a tendency to get the radio into a bind when it fails.

I was able to get rid of all the "Ghosts" except 1. Still experiencing the issue. I've checked most of my Z-Wave devices and I can control them. It just appears to be the blinds. Oddly some work and others don't. I have three right next to each other and I can get two out of the 3 to operate. The other 1 shows the status updates to closed etc. But the blind doesn't move. I can manually adjust via the button.

The mesh might possibly need time to heal. Although it seems you have been living with these ghosted nodes for some time now. You could try doing a full repair (just once). That might speed up the healing.

What is the name of the problematic devices so I can find them in your screenshots?

HAB Home Intelligence LLC. I'll do a repair and give it some time. Thanks for your assistance.

Post your z-wave details page now that you've removed most of them

Your Blinds are showing up as all different "classes" in the list which is sort of odd. Do you have some plugged in and others on battery power? Is there any that you possibly paired while plugged in and then switched the battery power later (this is generally a no-no).

Also seeing that some have a decent number of neighbors listed (10+) and others no so much. From the sounds of it some may even be right next to each other where one has 17 neighbors and the other has only 7. But like I said they seems to displaying as two different types of devices.

These are the two that are a good example. Node 3D is saying it is a SLAVE SIC and has no repair button. Usually this is the case for a battery powered device. The other one has a repair button which should only be present for a routing mains powered device. It is odd it says it is paired as a controller class device.

EDIT: Holy moly, cleaning that up and doing the repair GREATLY increased your neighbor counts. I suspect you will see things working better now? How is it looking?

After I did the repair I did notice that one of the blinds that I couldn't control via the app now works. All the blinds are battery operated and were setup that way. I noticed those two blinds you pointed out now reflect the same type class.

1 Like

Pull the battery on the upstairs leak sensor. Shut down the hub from the settings menu for 2 mins and power back up. Try removing the ghost again... And I agree with @jtp10181 , that looks a million times better.

I got rid of the ghost. All is well automations seems to be working fine. I appreciate everyone's help

3 Likes

When ever you are adding a device, if the pairing fails, STOP! Go to your z-wave details page and check for a ghost. Remove ghost. Factory reset device. Run an exclude to be safe and attempt pairing again... Read this post, it will help avoid some gotchas.

1 Like

Good information. I'll read.

I moved this post to the general Get Help section, since although you are on the beta it really had nothing to do with the beta version per-se.

It is a really good example of the impact of a massive number of ghosted nodes vs cleaning them up. I have never seen anything like this before in my time here. Usually people have a couple and clear them up and nothing really improves. For some reason that large amount was having a much greater impact on the zwave routing ability than we usually see.

4 Likes