Z-wave Device - Replace a failed device with the same name, newer version device

I have a GE Zwave Paddle switch that failed, and I have the new GE (newer model Z-Wave Plus) switch physically installed. C-7 hub.

I understand that I can use the Z-Wave replace or the Swap feature to keep my rules etc, but how do I keep the name the same? Which one do I use and what would the procedure be? Its not the exact same switch (features)

The current switch is called Fireplace Lights, and I would like it to keep that name. So how do I do that? I am assuming that the name has to be unique which would mean the new one needs to be different than the old one..... but maybe there is better way.

Thanks in advance!

You can have two devices with the same name; it just might be confusing (for you) since you'd need something else to distinguish them. With Z-Wave Replace, you won't need to worry about that; the new device will take the place of the old one in your Z-Wave database, and the hub won't really know what happened. With "Swap Apps Device", you could rename the old one before you start so you know, then remove it when you're done.

Be sure you get it removed from the Z-Wave Details table too and not just your hub's Devices list--maybe take note of the node ID in this table before you start and use the "Remove" feature there if it is still in the list (as it probably will be if you do a force remove on the hub). One advantage of Replace in this scenario is that you don't have to worry about that much.

Thank you - I used the replace function and it seems to have worked - I am pasting some info that user "function12" posted in another thread - and want to add some clarification to it.

From function12:To use the replace feature. Remove power for the old device. Go to the Z-wave settings page. Find the device. Hit the repair tab. You might have to hit it a couple of times. Then a replace tab will pop up. Hit replace and the hub will go into inclusion mode. Start inclusion mode on the new device. If should find it and you will be all set.

More specifics - in the C-7 Hub -

1. Choose Settings on the left side menu.
  2. Under "System Settings" - choose Z-Wave Details.
  3. Find your device in the list and then look for a Replace button in that same line - it is probably NOT there yet.
  4. If it is not there, choose Repair - it will try to ping the device and should fail.
  5. I had to leave the Settings on the left side and go to something else and then come back (manual refresh) - then the Replace button appeared.
  6. Once the Replace button appeared, I clicked it, and then when and toggled my new switch to include it. When you hit that replace button, it does NOT tell you that you are in inclusion mode -
  7. It will then tell you it is DONE, there is a left over cancel button on the screen, but just go to your device and see if it now works - it should.

Be careful when using the "Swap App Devices" feature. I used to swap out a plug-in dimmer with a different brand (from Leviton to Eva Logik). All the parameters were a mix of the two devices, and some of them I could not change even after a reboot and shutdown. Finally fixed it with the normal exclude/include. I think this feature works great when swapping out identical devices, but I wouldn't trust it otherwise.

So I cant figure out why you would use the swap app Devices feature - unless maybe that was built before "replace" was added to the interface? Can you think of a good reason to use it?

Unfortunately I did use swap to replace a faulty outside Z-Wave plug that lights my Gazebo. It seemed to work fine, but the old one was named Outside Outlet, and then new one was named "Outside Outlet 1" to make them different. Then I deleted the old outside outlet, but I did not know about removing it in z-wave details... I am worried that I now have a ghost node. There is a device that has a name of "discover" in that list, and not sure if that is it or not - and if not then not sure what that is :).

Yes--"Replace" is a Z-Wave feature. Swap Apps Device works with any device of any protocol/type (with some exceptions, e.g., child devices).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.