Z-Wave - all on/off command supported?

Gotcha - and I agree / very true. It is only useful for people that have most/all devices on zwave. And supporting it could be very confusing to novice end uses - "why didn't my hue bulbs turn off when I issued an All OFF????"

Exactly. Plus, Hubitat's model is that each driver controls one device. Who would issue the "All off" command?

The main problem, and a possible reason it got dumped is that it's non discriminatory, any zwave device that has this command implemented will turn off, possibly including gramps life support system where you are only using that switched outlet to monitor power...

4 Likes

Zwave devices can opt in/out to all-on or all-off on a per device level so that should be ok.

Could I just go down this path and create my own Z-wave all-off event?
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Zwave_Object

why not just make a group (or scene) with all the devices you want the turn off? i have a hierarchy of groups for this (kitchen->front of the house->upstairs) this makes adding devices easy. A new kitchen light is the automaticity in the front of the house and upstairs.

1 Like

A long time ago (before any official Z-Wave documentation was free and public) I was reverse engineering some test Z-Wave devices .... Duwi remotes .... with an intriguing "All Off" button on ....

Having pressed it (assuming All Off meant the devices Associated to that remote) panic ensued when I heard the simultaneous chatter of 50+ devices on my Z-Wave network turning OFF. And then the absolute deluge of traffic killing the Z-Wave radio as each device tried to report its status change!

Lesson learned :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sure have at it, it's your network after all.

All of the SwitchAllV1 command class commands are implemented, so you don't have to build these the hard way.

Just do Hubitat a favor, and don't publish any drivers implementing this, those would be support tickets that we don't need...

6 Likes

I'll probably end up doing this but I have 50+ Z-wave lights/switches and on previous systems it took quite a while for this to work where you could watch each light turn off.

Good to know thanks. I'll try it out and let you know here about any progress. I promise to not make it too easy for anyone else :slight_smile:

Ideally I would query for the Z-wave IDs of the devices in the group and do a bitfield multicast command with a basic_off but not sure if I have access to the low level device IDs in the API.

It would take about 60 seconds to make a driver with a custom command for this, then apply that to a virtual device.

Hey @mike.maxwell, where is the documentation for this? I'm looking around but I can only really find the empty section under developer docs (https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Developer_Documentation) and what seems to be an infinite recursion or possibly overloaded Z-Wave example (https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Zwave_Object).

Where is a more complete API documentation?

These have just been added...

Specifically this (in case it wasn't obvious):
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=ZWave_Classes

This is awesome. Where did you copy that code from to create that page just now? I'm asking both to learn specifically about Z-Wave on HE, and hopefully help with documentation in the future.

Sorry, I just fall of my chair laughing over this. Yeah let's put Gramps life on our home automation... :grin: We can time it... :joy:

1 Like

@mike.maxwell thanks for jumping in on this thread. I'm sure you're busy so your messages here are appreciated. Hopwefully a couple final questions and then I'll be off on my way and not bug anybody here.

1. Is the Hubitat source open source such that I can go in find the ZWave current classes myself somewhere?
  2. If not, what the recommended way for a device developer to find out what APIs and classes are available for a specific HE release?
  3. Can I expect that the ST Classic APIs are available in HE? Specifically should I look here for more docs:
    https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/doc/zwave-utils.html
    https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/documentation

Thanks again for your time. I realize these may be newbie questions. I develop systems and APIs for a living so taking my confusion could be a good way to improve the experience for the next software engineer joining Hubitat. :wink:

No

Look in the published docs, if not there ask Mike. He will then usually add it to the docs.

Odd question / way to ask it, so I'll answer it a different way. No, you can't - this is not ST. However, pretty much all zwave commands are supported. I would go so far as to say 100% of the commonly used ones and most of the oddball/rarely used ones too, but not all.

Which VERSION of the command is supported may differ from ST, too. And sometimes the differences matter.

OK I'll back off since I'm obviously rubbing you the wrong way. If course I don't think this is ST.

Just looking for docs. Can't find much on Z-wave. Realized that HE looked very similar to ST that has much more docs in this area and people are porting device drivers from ST to HE easily.
Wondered if I could just look there since it takes time to create docs.

A little sad about the tone so I'll just back off and chill.

You aren't annoying me in the least, and I wasn't trying to be abrasive - sorry if it came across as such. I was just trying to answer the question. I guess I was thinking/typing out loud too much.

No issues at all on my end. :+1: Keep asking away, they are great questions.

You've seen all the docs at this point. No, there isn't much documentation in HE when it comes to the protocols. I typically start with the ST docs, try it, and then change as needed if the supported command version is different, or if I know an HE implementation is very different than ST (like it is for buttons/button presses).

That said, it is often very easy to port many ST handlers to HE. There are a couple threads that have a known list of things that have to be changed/are different in HE. These are good starting points/reads: