You know you’re addicted to HE and home automation when

What weather station? I need a new one..

I got in on the Kickstarter for the Tempest station. I have had it for almost a year now and it works great. No moving parts, solar and wireless:

2 Likes

I will add to the addiction part of this:
When you write a driver for the API of a weather station you do not even own (or had intention of owning), ie: WeatherFlow Tempest... and then work with the company to actually obtain one yourself a year later to be able to develop new features for the driver (that require an actual station to use)...

I now have 3 weather stations outside... and I am not a "weather guy" at all. I barely check the temperature and the only related Rule I have ever made is one to turn off my family's Christmas inflatables if the wind gets too high.

4 Likes

$329.00

They should give you an affiliate link.

I would never consider a purchase without your endorsement.

Seriously.

You have to wait for the sales. A few friends of mine got theirs for like $40 off the last time they had a sale. But with the world having IoT supply side issues right now I don't know if there will be many sales shortly.

2 Likes

My justification is what you learn throughout the journey of writing the driver(s).... I can't claim the close family "bonding" that may occur, more so my "bonding" with the groovy language and nuances of writing a driver for other users, helping to inform writing similar drivers for my own setup.

Kudos to those who wrote and continue to maintain the primary integrations for my setup, happy to help maintain your addiction....

1 Like

This is hilarious. I am frequently sitting in a dark room bug-checking a broken rule instead of just turning the light on manually.

4 Likes

Where's the fun in that.... :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know you're in trouble when your wife says: Oh no! You won't touch the washing machine too! after hearing Alexa saying: "Hi, it's me, the washing machine. Can you come and empty me, please? Your clothes are already clean!"

Another symptom is looking in the community for ideas to use all the "n" devices you bought because you read that they were good, or were cheap, or because it would be very interesting to have, like that seismograph to know when a sleeping volcano on the other side of the world decides to go into activity, which happens once every 300,000 years...

I can still mention having devices to automate two or three houses the size of yours!

Am I alone in the universe? :grin:

1 Like

Yeah just bought another round of Zooz Toggles (v4) to start replacing my older Zooz Toggles (v2) - doing this so I can use ZW association instead of rule based syncing - of course there is a sale going on..

Also will likely get a few more C-7 hubs while I'm at it.. sigh.

What kinds of things are you associating?

I have a Zooz Dimmer V4 for my upstairs hallway switch - its on the landing on the way up. Upstairs I have 3 Zooz V2 switches that are no-load power only. All are connected to HE and I am using a sequence in Node-RED (I use that instead of RM) to handle the syncing of on/off.

What I would like to do after discovering the wonderful but perilous world of Z-Wave associations is simply associate the upstairs switches and the dimmer under "Group 2" association which I think is on/off - that way things should work without any type of rules. I could set the association with the V4 dimmer but was unable to with the Zooz V2's so will swap them out. I also checked with Zooz to see if the newer 700 series Zen 73/74 or the Zen 23/24 V4s were better with no load. The answer was the 23/24's - and they are on sale at $19 USD so went for it.

Nice, I'd be interested to know whether you can perceivably tell a difference. I'm doing some similar things with Lutron picos and other lights, and then of course some smart bulb action here and there.

1 Like

That's actually the one I've been eyeing, just have to get it past the finance department . a.k.a wife.. I have an accu-rite 5 in 1 now, but its getting pretty worn. The tempest looks very nice. Do you have to know if it can integrate with Rachio irrigation controllers?

Depends on what you plan do for integration, I am using my hubitat and both of these drivers

WeatherFlow ( @snell )- Polls the API
WeatherFlow Lite ( @augoisms ) - for Websocket Streaming

There is also IFTTT support and I have that setup for some data collection that I write into a spreadsheet. There has been complaints about the limited integration outside of the API, WebSockets, etc. and that SmartThings was promised a year ago and hasn't materialized. I am just happy the community came up with a great solution.

You may want to head over to their forums for more information:

Here's a you know when.... Might have already been said:

when you get more texts/notifications from devices than from people!

5 Likes

What version of Rachio do you have? V1 and V2 will work but latest V3 has Weather Intelligence Plus which won’t work with PWS. I recently upgraded my very old V1 to a V2 purchased from eBay for this reason. I also have a tempest.

Rats. It's the v3.