You know you’re addicted to HE and home automation when

I set up a google home and echo with ELIZA and got them chatting at each other. It was pretty funny. Really want to try a more sophisticated "chatbot" next...

There was one session where after about 15 mins or so the Echo said something about not doing this anymore and stopped the app..

2 Likes

...your idea of entertainment is starting a catfight between Alexa and Siri just to watch them talk to each other.

FWIW, Siri ran Alexa out of our house completely in less than a week..... :rofl:

2 Likes

Google is starting to knock Alexa out if our house. We use Android TV boxes and it automatically turns the volume down in the room when we talk to it so it and we can hear it better... That's a win, and we'll we use Android auto... And it was easy to set it up with a male British voice (my wife wants Jarvis, getting closer this way)

For me, the lack of triggerable routines on Google Home is a show stopper. Alexa Routines can be triggered by motion sensors, contact sensors, door locks, voice, time, etc... Google is still playing catch up in this department.

3 Likes

Yeah there are some limitations, but I can make all those routines in HE, so honestly it's not as big of an issue to me. The only reason Alexa routine was used before was to intergrate things from different platforms, but I'm noting away from that anyway... But I don't see getting rid of Alexa anytime soon anyway, only have an original echo, 5 second gen and 1 third gen dot.. lol. Only have 2 GH mini's (1 first gen, 1 second gen)

1 Like

This was reportedly coming early in 2020. Typical Google - still no sight. I really wonder what those tens of thousands of developers are doing all day long. And as for Nest, they should be totally embarrased by their lack of output. Look at what Wyze has accomplished. Google is really pathetic at execution sometimes, especially compared with Amazon.

1 Like

I had picked up an Echo Dot, to evaluate the developer ecosystem and see if it had any promise. When I set it up, I used the wake word "computer" instead of "Alexa," so that the TV news wouldn't spontaneously order doll houses. :laughing:

The final straw for Alexa came a few days later, while we were watching a Star Trek re-run on TV. They also used "computer" as the wake word on the USS Enterprise, and Alexa would wake up and start rambling on every time that a crew member interacted with the ship's computer. The last straw was when Riker initiated a self-destruct sequence, and Alexa started babbling like crazy and wouldn't stop! As the saying read on the Comp Sci words of wisdom whiteboard in the computer lab back in the day, the attention span of a computer is only as long as its power cord. I yanked the power from Alexa, and left the lifeless Echo Dot sitting there as a warning to all of the other HA stuff to behave itself or meet the same fate!

Since DW and I both have Apple Watches with Siri just a crown push away, we have zero need for Alexa or any other eavesdropping voice assistants.....

Although that is exactly what Siri is too of course....

2 Likes

Yes, but Siri has an "off' switch for voice wake-ups that I trust way more than Amazon or Google to actually disable all listening unless I push the button.....

Ha ha ha OK then. You can trust Apple​​ if you like. The other products also have a microphone off switch :wink:

5 Likes

Going to add another one to the "addicted" list:
When you buy some random "smart" project because "Hey, I can probably make that work with my HE or reuse the parts at least!"

2 Likes

Hoping for a lot of cloud cover or a thunderstorm to validate you new lux sensor in your weather station and it's calibration and automation to turn on lights automatically. Sunrise/Sunset just doesn't cut it anymore.

3 Likes

@bcopeland
happiness hobby job

9 Likes

What weather station are you using with HE?

I asked same question above...

1 Like

That things sweet looking...

You walk into a hotel room with your partner (pre-COVID, of course) and she pauses waiting for the lights to go on... ooops, sorry, we aren't at home honey! :laughing:

5 Likes

.....you've spent enough time trolling the HE forums to not only have a catalog of items useful to you, but a folder dedicated to post you can easily c/p to help others; after getting tried of tired of tracking down things you've posted in the past. (with nothing but :heart:)

(I think I'm on step 9 at least)

7 Likes

Congrats !! I just noticed today your title changed to staff.....lol

I was thinking to myself , has he always been staff and I am just now noticing........hahah

1 Like

I just discovered that I have 50 battery-powered smart home sensors and devices to keep fed with fresh batteries.

1 Like